Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Power Member

Any issues with the beam focus? Read an article that stated the Led is taller and scatters the focused beam from the reflector. The fog lamp is intended to have a narrow horizontal beam (focused).
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Any issues with the beam focus? Read an article that stated the Led is taller and scatters the focused beam from the reflector. The fog lamp is intended to have a narrow horizontal beam (focused).
    I haven’t had the car out of the garage since they’ve been installed due to the weather. Flipping them on and looking at where they hit on the wall, there doesn’t seem to be much of an issue or difference, but I can’t say for sure yet until I get it out in the open and in the dark.

The height difference between the standard and LED bulbs is verrrrry small. I would think, if anything, it’d be the fact that there’s no diodes on the sides - just the top/bottom/front, since they are flat not round.

I wouldn’t be too bothered if they don’t focus exactly the same with how scarcely I’d use them for any real function other than “looking cool”.

$.02
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

What color are these led bulbs?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    What color are these led bulbs?
    Here's the link:
    https://rmslighting.net/products/h2-...foglights-pair

It doesn't say what the color/temperature is - but I'd take an educated guess that it's 6000k(?) by the way they look
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Took the car out last night to top off the fuel and check out the fogs “in the wild”.

The LED’s are most certainly not as bright and focused as the original halogens.

If you’re looking for true function, stick with the old school bulbs.

With that said, I still very much prefer the looks of the LED. I think I also need to take the time and loosen them up a touch to get them both aimed and adjusted at the same angle, I noticed they were just a touch off.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

For aiming, park on a level surface close in front of a regular brick wall in the evening.
    Bricks and mortar are like grid lines and reflect beam patterns and hot spots for alignment to suit.
    No certain distance, just where patterns are best defined on the wall.
    By marking distance and noting height of patterns on the brick layers aids in repeat realignments to where you want them to be.
    A parking space with a curb 5-10 or so feet off the wall is ideal. A tightly focused light pattern is desired.
    So is having both housings square to each other for an even pattern side to side.

A wide pattern beam adds a extended light spread to side of road, ditches, and corner curbs when turning.
    Fill in side areas the main lights cannot reach due to being recessed into the bumper cover that cuts off side lighting.
    Clear fogs or driving lights look cool to oncoming traffic while driving. A ground hugging performance look.
    Ditch lights look neat on rr locomotives. Aux lights catch attention and that is what we want safety wise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12