Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marchal - H2 bulb replacement

Hey everyone.

I tried searching the boards and YouTube and came up empty handed. Does anyone have a quick “how to” for replacing the H2 bulb inside the Marchal 750 fog lights? Feel free to explain like I’m 5 years old.

I found some LED replacements for those interested:

https://rmslighting.net/products/h2-...foglights-pair

I noticed one of my bulbs seems to have burned out and I figured no better time than the present to swap these out (no doubt they will run a LOT cooler and have longer life as well).

Will I need to remove fog light assembly entirely to replace them? I tried loosening the two flat head screws on the front of the light, but that didn’t seem to allow me to pull the front off to access the bulb. To be fair, I was being pretty ginger and careful and it was still mounted on the car.

Any wisdom here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

2 screws on the front removes the retaining ring and lens. It fits together rather snugly. The screws are captive with a nut on the back side. Ideally you don't Have to remove the whole light but it might be easier to work on it.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks for confirming Kev. I felt silly asking this but those suckers are on there pretty tight and I didn’t want to start cranking on them if I was looking at it wrong. I think i’ll definitely take them off the car to do this.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for an LED replacement. Please post some comparison photos if you can.
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    Thanks for the link. I've been looking for an LED replacement. Please post some comparison photos if you can.
    You go first! ;-)

I'll probably order them sometime this week, though I can't guarantee when I'll get the courage to remove and take them apart.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I just ordered the set of LED replacement bulbs linked above.

I'm scared to death to take apart the fogs to replace the bulb. I haven't found any logical walkthroughs or photos online on how to do so. I resorted to looking at photos on eBay to try and get my head around what to do, but I think I'm just going to go in and be super careful. Any advice, steps, or photos would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try the burned out bulb first and do a side-by-side photo (if I can figure it out and not break it anymore).
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

You are overthinking things ten fold.

It is two screws.

Keep unscrewing them, a couple turns on one side then a few on the other. Keep bouncing back side to side until they are no longer holding on.

Once the screws are no longer holding it in place you can gently pull away a bit and reach your hand inside to either remove the two spade terminals from the bulb OR remove the metal wire retainer that holds the bulb to the reflector and then you will have the front lens, bezel and reflector in your hand detached from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    You are overthinking things ten fold.
    This is what I do best - Appreciate the encouragement
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Interested in how the LEDs do.

I have the stockers on my TBird, but I have another set of Marchals I want to run on the LTS, but not a big fan of the stock H2 bulbs and how hot they get.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got bored and decided to go for one of the fogs tonight, and took some photos along the way. Hopefully this helps the next poor guy or gal looking to crack these open in the future.

*In my opinion: You'll definitely want to remove these from the car to replace the bulbs*

1: Unscrew the nut attached to the post of the fog light underneath, and attaching it to the bumper
    2: Pull the light out a little bit to get better access to the connector. This pulls straight out with a little finesse. I spritzed mine with a touch of WD40 to help the wiggling. Be careful not to break those little plastic clips, and take your time. It'll come out.

3: Loosen the two flathead screws on the front of the lens and then look for the slot at the bottom rear, near the threaded post. Use a flathead to carefully pry it open. I tried separating the pieces by hand after loosening the screws with zero luck, and after seeing the inside...I'd recommend you open them this way only.

4: Now that it's open (you've got about 60 degrees of play here), unhook the metal wire and move that out of the way. Note that it rides in a channel on the back of the bulb holder keeping it in place. You can carefully separate the two sides of the fog light now.

5. The bulb holder is keyed and will only go back together into the reflector one way, so no worries. Pop it out of the back of the reflector and there's your access.

6: The bulb itself is keyed too. Look for the round and square pegs, and at this point, pull the retaining tabs up a little bit and the bulb will pop right out.

I think mine was definitely burned out on the passenger side:

I'll post a side by side after installing the LED prior to replacing both so everyone can see the difference.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 04-18-2023 at 07:25 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Fantastic set of instructions. Clearly written, detailed and nicely labeled pics. Thanks.

Interested to see the comparo pic of the LED bulb to the stock bulb.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Fantastic set of instructions. Clearly written, detailed and nicely labeled pics. Thanks.

Interested to see the comparo pic of the LED bulb to the stock bulb.

Bulbs should arrive here Friday 👍🏻
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

There's some good sample photos of 4-eye's on their Instagram account for those interested in the meantime. Looks like they have a headlight kit available as well.

https://www.instagram.com/rmslighting/

https://rmslighting.net/collections/...rness-adapters
    Last edited by ITdude87; 04-19-2023 at 01:26 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Pulled the driver's side assembly and bulb last night. This all but confirms that the issue was just the bulb, and not something crazy with the electrical or wiring.

Unfortunately I wont be installing them one by one for a true "side by side" comparison, instead I'm going for them both in one shot to get it over with. It looks like the LED's will be here a little early this afternoon. I'll have a photo for you guys as soon as I get them installed tonight.

I'm personally going for looks, temperature, and reliability over function so I wont mind if they aren't the same exact intensity as the halogens. We'll see!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    There's some good sample photos of 4-eye's on their Instagram account for those interested in the meantime. Looks like they have a headlight kit available as well.

https://www.instagram.com/rmslighting/

https://rmslighting.net/collections/...rness-adapters
    Fyi, the Instagram link looks to be a dead end!?
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Nah dude it's definitely a legit link - Works just fine over here? I think you may have to be signed into your account on your browser, or App if you're on mobile? Not sure.

Here's a few screenshots from their profile though:

I think these cars also have their LED headlight kit installed in addition to the fogs, but man, the fogs look crispy from the photos! Can't wait.

Last edited by ITdude87; 04-20-2023 at 11:01 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Bulbs are here!

Old versus new:

No fitment issues. Plug and play. The round hole us just a hair smaller than original, and they fit a little snug - but nothing to be concerned about IMO.

I'll snap a photo once I get them on the car and tested later this evening.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 04-20-2023 at 01:36 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Nah dude it's definitely a legit link - Works just fine over here? I think you may have to be signed into your account on your browser, or App if you're on mobile? Not sure.
    Gotcha. Thanks. Don't have a IG account so I appreciate your posting those pics.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks. Don't have a IG account so I appreciate your posting those pics.
    No sweat!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

They work, and they look great!

I was a little scrunched for space in the garage taking this photo, but you can see the color difference here.

Recommended!

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Thanks for the pic.

I need to change the ones in my TBird out. I have an H1 (non-LED) headlamp conversion on it, and the Halogen bulbs in the fogs are a bit "warmer". These look "colder" which would be good.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

You’re welcome Chuck. I’ll get a better photo with better lighting once the weather cooperates. The color temperatures seen above are certainly accurate though.

I’m very pleased with how they turned out. I learned how to repair and replace the ol’ fogs along the way.

This makes me awful curious about the matching kit for the headlights, maybe another day.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Thanks for sharing. Looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Looks very nice.
    You're welcome - You were right, I was overthinking it!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Here's a little bit better photo:

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast