Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Weld Thru Primer

I wasn't sure where to put this. I am hoping to install subframe connectors this spring on my LTD wagon. I'm in Michigan so I'm overly anal about rust. The bottom of the car right now is in great shape. Granted it will never be driven in the snow, I'm all too familiar with the long term effects of unprotected steel. Obviously some paint will need to be removed to properly weld the SFCs in. I probably won't be doing the install, but I will get it prepped for install. I was planning on painting over the ground down weld locations with weld thru primer to protect the steel.

Looking around the web it seems like everybody has their own opinion. I've seen Steel-It, Upol, Medallion and a few others. My main concerns are corrosion protection and ease of welding so the guy welding isn't cursing my name while doing the job. I really don't care if I have to buy a $50 can of paint as long as it works well. I also don't care if it is an aerosol or brush on.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a particular product to use for this?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

In my experience with welding in the SFC there's enough issues with some of the anti corrosion (galvanized) metal in some of the areas that you need to weld the SFC to that can cause welding issues. I have tried 3M Weld Thru Primer and at times it seemed to work just fine and others it seemed to cause issues also. Ultimately I often turned the voltage and wire speed up and welded the SFC as hot as I could stand to try and burn off any contaminants during the welding process. Then after I coated the SFC and all welded areas with POR15 to be safe. Haven't had any rust issues with any of the SFC that I have welded in that did that to. Maybe not the answer your looking for, but that has been my experience on several of my Foxes. If you have a shop in mind for doing the work, you might ask them what their preference would be just to be safe. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Just thinkin factories prob did not use any weld primer before welding everything or even clean new metal much beforehand.
    Burnt oil on the metal stampings caused a lot of odor and smoke fumes in chassis spot weld production departments.
    Have used weld primer a few times and will continue either way as required for best cost-effective rust protection.
    Used 3m during frame repair no regrets no rust at the welds years later.
    When using rivets, found hammer type paint sticks good to metal and coating can last even on unprotected areas.
    Right or wrong the 'better more than not enough' motto lives on.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-07-2023 at 05:15 PM.

If it were me, i would ask whoever is going to weld them in, what they prefer.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I dont like weld thru primer personally.. I am not an expert welder but I can weld half decent. I think if you can spray the cavity wax inside the voids it would be a good thing to prevent corrosion in the areas you cant get the POR15 in.

It is the areas you cant see that usually end up being the problem

I dont know if this info helps you tho...just an opinion
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

I have used bloxide in the past, works great.

Name:  012-037pic1_20.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  114.0 KB
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member

Thank you for all the replies, comments, and opinions. I do plan to talk to the guy who will be doing it, but this is me doing research so I can go in with as much information as I can get.

Massacre, the only place I could find that Bloxide listed in a spray can was $51.38, so just outside of my budget
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire