Close

Default 85 Mustang - Wire clean up

Cleaning up the wiring on my 1985 Mustang. Car has a 4BBL but has a factory computer in right kick panel. Any issues with removing computer & all wiring?

Planning to use MSD Ignition box & one wire alternator

Any info appreciated

FEP Senior Member

hi , it has been to many years that i removed mine and what did and did not work after removal. it was primarly there for the TSDA (two speed accessory drive) . which to my knowledge was never installed.

looking at my electrical book , the a/c disconnect may not work for the wide open throttle.

FEP Supporter

If I'm not mistaken bob85gt is correct, TSAD & AC but I also believe the TAB and TAD solenoids are controlled through there too. If you killed emission controls then that doesn't matter either. If you didn't kill the emissions stuff the '84 style control for those solenoids can be made to work.
    '85 GT

Pulled mine on my 85 GT without issue. As mentioned, there are some emissions things this controls, but I had deleted mine. Lots of emissions stuff hiding in the passenger fender!!

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by stang_genius View Post
    Pulled mine on my 85 GT without issue. As mentioned, there are some emissions things this controls, but I had deleted mine. Lots of emissions stuff hiding in the passenger fender!!
    The TSAD has nothing to do with what's in the fender.

Also, I wouldn't call what's in there "emissions stuff", I say it's more like more like "driveability" stuff. The Altitude Air Bleed system solenoids were controlled by a Barometric Pressure Switch located on the front side of the drivers shock tower and were only active at altitudes above 4K feet. The system was meant to lean out the mixture as the vehicle drove through higher elevations.

That's something no carb can do on it's own no matter how well its tuned.
    '85 GT

Pulled mine on my 85 GT when going to Edelbrock pro-flo and no issues. Never tried to run it without the ecu and the carb still on, but with independant ignition I would imagine it would be nearly identical to what I did with the exception of your fuel being provided by the carb and mine by injectors. You can unscrew the connector in the passenger kick panel and test prior to cutting or removing anything permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    The TSAD has nothing to do with what's in the fender.

Also, I wouldn't call what's in there "emissions stuff", I say it's more like more like "driveability" stuff. The Altitude Air Bleed system solenoids were controlled by a Barometric Pressure Switch located on the front side of the drivers shock tower and were only active at altitudes above 4K feet. The system was meant to lean out the mixture as the vehicle drove through higher elevations.

That's something no carb can do on it's own no matter how well its tuned.
    How did we survive for 80 years going over hills in our cars before LOL

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    How did we survive for 80 years going over hills in our cars before LOL
    lol

Having grown up in South Florida, I can only attest to driving at near sea level with carbs. I also didn't grow up with grocery stores stocking points sets, distributor caps, and rotors. Next time I get near an "old timer" I'll have to ask them. lol

Because of your post I looked at a few 60's model vehicle owner's manuals to see if they said anything about it. I didn't find anything. What I did find was a document from like '84 written I guess for the EPA, that explained what adjustments had to be made for those contemporary vehicles to adjust for altitude changes. I thought it was interesting.

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/...kPage=x&ZyPURL
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    lol

Having grown up in South Florida, I can only attest to driving at near sea level with carbs. I also didn't grow up with grocery stores stocking points sets, distributor caps, and rotors. Next time I get near an "old timer" I'll have to ask them. lol

Because of your post I looked at a few 60's model vehicle owner's manuals to see if they said anything about it. I didn't find anything. What I did find was a document from like '84 written I guess for the EPA, that explained what adjustments had to be made for those contemporary vehicles to adjust for altitude changes. I thought it was interesting.
    If your going to live in a High altitude area, by all means you had to tune your car to where you lived... I was born in Oregon and lived there 57 years before coming to Florida for work.. Can't tell you how many times I drove over the Mountain " pass" of 5000ft plus to go skiing or to play in the snow with a carbed vehicle that ran just fine.....
    I understand what you are saying about FI, but for some reason we all got along fine without it...

FEP Supporter

Great insight. Not that this really matters here but one thing I took away from that EPA doc was there was a minimum elevation, I think 6k feet, where they said the changes were applicable. Don't know if that's for a genuinely practical reason or not.

So, FI gotta about being "green" then, right? BTW, I'm pretty much down the middle on stuff like this. But... (mini rant coming...)

Frankly, I'd like to know how the MSD Atomic fuel injection set up got it's CARB # for ALL GM VEHCILES made before 1984 or whatever it is. It's the only AM fuel injection deal that has that and it really doesn't make sense. To me, if they gave it to MSD, and the same basic software (in closed loop) is in say a Sniper, then why can't that get a CARB# too? And why just GM vehicles? So it says GM on it, does it burn gas differently than any other ICE engine? Plenty of folks with something other than a GM vehicle would love to switch to EFI in states where they currently can't.

That's some shizzle we should all be up in arms about.
    '85 GT