Close

Default Auto to T5 tranny neutral safety switch issue

So the 86 vert I bought has a T5 swap already done. Was an auto. The guy, though, just added a switch for the neutral safety witch. So basically there is a wire bundle that comes out from under the dash, and the guy added a small switch that I have to hit before I start the car. I have no idea how to change this....I have to hit this switch before starting it, and turn it off after I turn the car off. What do I do to get rid of this? Sorry if it's dumb guys, REALLY appreciate all the help I've gotten here so far. Would post pics of both my 86 and this issue, but can't yet.

Isn't there a switch on the clutch pedal?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Why in the hell would he do that? He's probably just bypassing the stock circuitry for no reason.

At the transmission, there is a 4-connector plug. 2 of the wires are for the back-up lights. The other two are for the NNS out of the trans. On a factory manual car, those two wires are just looped at the plug. Find that connector and do that to yours. (It's usually attached to the trans crossmember)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Sorry to ask,....any pics of what I'm looking for?

It is a decent bundle of wiring, with abfewbplugsbUNplugged, just loose.

It's round and looks like it would plug into THIS (This is the transmission side of things)

That is an NSS, but the plug on the manual is the same. 2 wires connect to the reverse light switch on the side of the T5(?) and the others should be looped.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Guys, I hope you know how much I appreciate the help. 40 years old, done a lot to cars....but have a lot to learn.

You might have to do some circuit wizardry but it's not that complicated of a circuit. Did it actually use the neutral switch on a manual? Most of them didn't, so not all of the T5's even have the switch. The harness that goes on the T5 usually has the neutral wires jumpered together and the correct connector for the backup lights on the side of the T5.

For all the cars I've converted there was a connector under the dash for the clutch switch. For the auto it had a connector with the 2 wires jumpered together. Just unplug that connector and plug it into the switch at the top of the clutch pedal assembly.