Close

Default Yes,another wheel and tire thread lol

Could always use one more. Ok, going to be getting some new wheels and tires for my 84 and was looking at going 17”.I have 16” pony’s on there right now and I am staying 4 lug. Looking at the sve 2003 cobra style. Any issues with running 17x9 all the way around? I have upgraded lower control arms in the back and have removed the quad shocks. Do I need spacers? What’s the best size of tire to run with these? I like the wide look and want all 4 the same.

Thanks guys
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

If you are still using the OEM front spindles you will most likely need a spacer for the front wheels and possible rack limiters. The back you should be fine depending on ride height and actual tire size.

If you swap to the 87-93 V8 front spindles then you won't need the spacer up front, but might still need rack limiters. Depending again on ride height and final tire size you might have some clearance issues with the wheels turned, but it will depend.

A 255/40/17 is probably the best option for all 4 corners on the 9" wheel. Gives a great look, allows rotation, and shouldn't cause you too many clearance issues. You can push it to a 275, but you will most likely have issues up front with clearance that may or may not be easily solved. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you are still using the OEM front spindles you will most likely need a spacer for the front wheels and possible rack limiters. The back you should be fine depending on ride height and actual tire size.

If you swap to the 87-93 V8 front spindles then you won't need the spacer up front, but might still need rack limiters. Depending again on ride height and final tire size you might have some clearance issues with the wheels turned, but it will depend.

A 255/40/17 is probably the best option for all 4 corners on the 9" wheel. Gives a great look, allows rotation, and shouldn't cause you too many clearance issues. You can push it to a 275, but you will most likely have issues up front with clearance that may or may not be easily solved. Good Luck!

Thanks Trey, should I get 1/4” spacers? As for ride height I’m running ford b springs and some adjustable MM lower control arms in the rear.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Also I do have a set of 87-93 front spindles but don’t have all the rest of the stuff to go with them.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Or maybe it’s better to go 17x8 for fronts and 17x9 for rear? Lol decisions
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Some will depend on how big a tire you plan to run. If you're going to stay under a 245 section width, or up to it, an 8" is fine.
    A wider tire looks great, but I like the tire as part of my parts breakage prevention. I'd rather a tire spin or slide than break stuff.
    I run 17x8 on my Granada with later V8 spindles. My only rubbing is front fenders when I turn and hit a bump. A mustang has more room there than the Granada.

This a 225/45 on a 17x8. I personally think a 245 looks great on a Mustang so would only come out a touch beyond the wheel. Since a 225 was basically stock width on them a slight bump is great.

If you want the super meaty 255+ widths, go with the 9".

Staggering f to r is good for custom sizes, narrower up front for ease, etc, but you lose the ability to do a 4-wheel rotation. Not always a big deal. I've done this before and you can always switch l to r (if asymmetric and not directional). If directional simply have a shop swap the wheel on the rim about 1/2 way through it's life and then you can swap sides.

Any route you take had pros and cons.
    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 04-02-2023 at 05:39 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Also I do have a set of 87-93 front spindles but don’t have all the rest of the stuff to go with them.
    When you say the rest of the stuff, I assume you mean the brake calipers, hard lines, etc. All standard replacement parts. Make the switch and you have better front brakes than the OEM 1984 brakes and most likely will not need any front spacers due to the 87-93 V8 spindles moving the front wheels out slightly away from the struts.

Thanks Trey, should I get 1/4” spacers? As for ride height I’m running ford b springs and some adjustable MM lower control arms in the rear.
    Usually most need an 1/8" front spacer to clear the front strut if not using the 87-93 V8 spindles. Most likely a 1/4" will be more than you need. I have never run the B springs, so not sure how they will affect your overall wheel/tire fitment, but I doubt they will cause that much of an issue. If you have the adjustable MM rear lower control arms that will allow you to set rear ride height and level the back end of the car side to side too.

Or maybe it’s better to go 17x8 for fronts and 17x9 for rear? Lol decisions
    I run 17X9 with 255/40/17 on my Pace Car on all 4 corners. I run different offsets due to the Cobra IRS, so I can do a 4 wheel rotation, but I am able to clear up front with the PC lower air dam and stock PC front fenders. I do get some slight rubbing on the inner fender on wheel lock when going up an incline, but that is it. Again every car is different and alignment, tire brand, tire size, etc. will all affect your fitment. I would go with the 9's on all 4 corners, but there is nothing wrong with running a 8" front wheel and a 245 if that makes you more comfortable. Tire prices are often cheaper too in the more common 245/45/17. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Following this thread.

I'm going to stick with the 10-hole 4 lugs for now, but I have been curious about swapping out some 17x8's with 245's....Purely for the additional choices in tires themselves. Not much available in 15'' these days.

I don't want to do any mods though.

Can anyone say definitively "that'll work" on an 86', or would I need to add spacers/limiters/flip the quads/etc?
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Following this thread.

I'm going to stick with the 10-hole 4 lugs for now, but I have been curious about swapping out some 17x8's with 245's....Purely for the additional choices in tires themselves. Not much available in 15'' these days.

I don't want to do any mods though.

Can anyone say definitively "that'll work" on an 86', or would I need to add spacers/limiters/flip the quads/etc?
    8's and 245/45/17 tires will fit with little to no modifications or changes. Unfortunately due to the nature of the 80's Foxes, age, wear, tear, options, modifications, etc. It's almost impossible to say DEFINITELY that you won't have to add spacers/limiters/etc.

If running the LMR 10 hole 4 lug wheels in 17" then most likely you will need an 1/8" spacer on the front to clear the front struts. If you have the 87-93 V8 spindles and brakes, then you will most likely NOT need the spacer. In the rear an 8" wheel and 245 will generally fit with no issues and no need to flip the quads. If you are running lowering springs, then there might be a chance that flipping the quads will gain you some additional clearance, but in most cases not needed. The Fox and even the 4 Eyed Foxes do just fine with 8" wheels and 245 tires as long as the wheel offset is correct. It's generally not until you get to a 9" up front and a 10" in the rear that you start having clearance issues. Obviously trying to run wheels with incorrect offsets make all these points mute, but thankfully with the available aftermarket wheel options its not as much of a problem as it was in the past.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

When you say the rest of the stuff, I assume you mean the brake calipers, hard lines, etc. All standard replacement parts. Make the switch and you have better front brakes than the OEM 1984 brakes and most likely will not need any front spacers due to the 87-93 V8 spindles moving the front wheels out slightly away from the struts.
    I know the calipers, rotors, bearings are all direct replacement but are the hard lines? I seem to recall mods have to be done to accept 87-93 braided brake lines. Front brake bracket won’t fit 84 cars or something.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 04-03-2023 at 07:50 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

8's and 245/45/17 tires will fit with little to no modifications or changes. Unfortunately due to the nature of the 80's Foxes, age, wear, tear, options, modifications, etc. It's almost impossible to say DEFINITELY that you won't have to add spacers/limiters/etc.

If running the LMR 10 hole 4 lug wheels in 17" then most likely you will need an 1/8" spacer on the front to clear the front struts. If you have the 87-93 V8 spindles and brakes, then you will most likely NOT need the spacer. In the rear an 8" wheel and 245 will generally fit with no issues and no need to flip the quads. If you are running lowering springs, then there might be a chance that flipping the quads will gain you some additional clearance, but in most cases not needed. The Fox and even the 4 Eyed Foxes do just fine with 8" wheels and 245 tires as long as the wheel offset is correct. It's generally not until you get to a 9" up front and a 10" in the rear that you start having clearance issues. Obviously trying to run wheels with incorrect offsets make all these points mute, but thankfully with the available aftermarket wheel options it’s not as much of a problem as it was in the past.
    Cheers, thank you. My car is stock all the way around minus the Koni’s front and rear. I can see what you mean about possibly needing a little spacer. Those aren’t the end of the world. I’ve read and heard so many conflicting stories I’ve all but given up and will get some fresh 15” rubber and call it a day. Maybe next year I’ll bite on some cheapo 17” LMR wheels and sportier tires to spice things up a bit. I would just hate to buy everything, get it mounted, and then run into a bunch of BS with clearance/rubbing/etc…
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

As mentioned, clearance will likely not be any issue with the 8" wheels and conservative tire cross section.
    I think I got my tri-bars for under $70 each from LMR. And those tires were around $150 (Nitto NeoGen). Sticky tires, look cool and different.
    But if you want the wider stuff, yes, you might have to play around a bit.
    A thin spacer is super easy to add if needed after the fact.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    As mentioned, clearance will likely not be any issue with the 8" wheels and conservative tire cross section.
    I think I got my tri-bars for under $70 each from LMR. And those tires were around $150 (Nitto NeoGen). Sticky tires, look cool and different.
    But if you want the wider stuff, yes, you might have to play around a bit.
    A thin spacer is super easy to add if needed after the fact.

Rich

I must have skimmed right past your post earlier - Those 225's on the 17x8's look good! You instantly changed my mind. I would go the same route with the 225's, as I'm with you on preferring the tires break loose first before anything else gets stressed from too much added grip. The car frankly isn't that fast and I don't plan on adding any power or even driving aggressively, it's more of a classic cruiser and I could care less about fat rubber. I had just assumed 245 was standard for 8''.

Next question - How about that big honkin' wheel bearing cap piece? If you got your tri-bars from LMR, did they come with a different cap, or was that a non issue?
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Wheel bearing cap? It's there under the wheels center cap. I can post a pic if you want.
    Not an issue. I am pretty certain most all the wheels will clear that. The only potential issue, with wider tires/wheels, is rubbing the strut.
    Get too wide or tall and you can rub the frame, fender, ...
    My wheels are the LMR tri-bars, 17x8, 4-lug. I am using '87 up spindles and the larger stock 11" brakes. I got them on sale for IIRC $67 each. They may have been on clearance and no longer available. Hence the price.
    Any Fox specific 17x8 wheel should be dandy. Staying with the earlier smaller spindles might* mean a thin spacer up front is all.
    If you stay with a similar size (225/45 or 225/50) you will more than likely not have any issues.

Last edited by richpet; 04-03-2023 at 11:01 PM.

I know the calipers, rotors, bearings are all direct replacement but are the hard lines? I seem to recall mods have to be done to accept 87-93 braided brake lines. Front brake bracket won’t fit 84 cars or something.
    The front brake bracket will fit with minor modification. The brake hoses are definitely different. The hard lines can be tweaked to work or you can grab the needed hard lines from a J/Y and swap over to your vehicle and make it all work. Honestly NONE of this is very difficult to accomplish. If you have a good brake line flaring tool and equipment, you can fab up your own new lines quite easily and inexpensively if you want. I have done that on a couple of my foxes while using the SN95 Cobra brakes, adjustable Prop valve, etc. so I could remove the OEM Prop valve and clean up the install for a better look. Virtually all of my Foxes run SS brake hose so those often require tweaking of the brake hose brackets and its not a big deal. Today there are several kits and part options that make this swap very easy compared to years ago when you were completely on your own.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Rich

I must have skimmed right past your post earlier - Those 225's on the 17x8's look good! You instantly changed my mind. I would go the same route with the 225's, as I'm with you on preferring the tires break loose first before anything else gets stressed from too much added grip. The car frankly isn't that fast and I don't plan on adding any power or even driving aggressively, it's more of a classic cruiser and I could care less about fat rubber. I had just assumed 245 was standard for 8''.

Next question - How about that big honkin' wheel bearing cap piece? If you got your tri-bars from LMR, did they come with a different cap, or was that a non issue?
    A 245/45/17 fits the 8" wheel very well and is/was a popular OEM size so pricing was generally very good and often the same or less than a 225. The 225 fits the 8" wheel but is a bit narrow in my opinion. Nothing terrible, but better suited for the 7" wheel IMHO.

The center cap and long snout of the Fox spindle is not an issue with virtually all of the OEM and Aftermarket Repo Ford wheels such as the Tri-Bars. The 94-97 Cobra wheels, etc. that either have a center cap that covers all the lug nuts or has a larger center cap that covers the center of the wheel with the lugs exposed. The wheels that can be an issue due to the small center cap bore are wheels such as the 98 Cobra wheels, 95 Cobra R, Bullit, 03 Cobra, etc. These wheels have a small center bore that often tapers too narrow near the center cap and will not properly seat on a Fox style front rotor and be able to run a center cap due to the dust cap length and/or the dust cap will prevent the center cap from being installed properly even if the wheel does seat on the front rotor. A hubcentric spacer can help to make the wheels work when absolutely necessary, otherwise a switch to the SN95 spindles and 5 lug is the only other option, but that opens another whole can of worms. I personally prefer 5 lug wheels, the additional wheel options, I like big brakes and I can not lie!
    So I almost always opt for Sn95 front spindles and Cobra brakes on all of my Foxes. My 82 RS Semi-Original Restoration is the only Fox I have that will remain 4 lug, although it does have the 87-93 V8 spindle and brake upgrade since the stock brakes SUCK! Hope that provides come clarifications.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-04-2023 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Hope that provides come clarifications.
    Sure does! Thank you.

I'm not looking to swap spindles/axles/brakes any time soon. I can live with the limited choices and continue keeping her stock as much as possible. The mantra of my car is the fewer mods the better.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I agree with you Trey - the 225 is a bit narrow on the 8" wheel. I would NOT want to go any narrower. At 225 the sidewalk is very straight up/down with the rim. A 245 would be great on it.

I have to slightly roll my fenders. In that pic I posted you can see the front wheel arch where I make contact.

In back I can barely get my pinkie finger between the tire sidewall and the fender, so 225 is the limit back there right now.

I would love to go to 245* but not wider to help, even just a little, with not breaking stuff. In back anyway.

TBH for my sedan the 225 holds the car to road quite well.

Last edited by richpet; 04-04-2023 at 02:22 PM.

The front brake bracket will fit with minor modification. The brake hoses are definitely different. The hard lines can be tweaked to work or you can grab the needed hard lines from a J/Y and swap over to your vehicle and make it all work. Honestly NONE of this is very difficult to accomplish. If you have a good brake line flaring tool and equipment, you can fab up your own new lines quite easily and inexpensively if you want. I have done that on a couple of my foxes while using the SN95 Cobra brakes, adjustable Prop valve, etc. so I could remove the OEM Prop valve and clean up the install for a better look. Virtually all of my Foxes run SS brake hose so those often require tweaking of the brake hose brackets and it’s not a big deal. Today there are several kits and part options that make this swap very easy compared to years ago when you were completely on your own.
    Thanks Trey

I will look into it. I’m still learning to work on these cars so what may be easy for you is not so much for me LOL.To be honest I would rather not mess with the stock hard lines if I don’t have too. When you say tweaked to work is that just a little bending and moving of the stock lines to make them line up to the new bracket? Also If I’m going to buy new brake hoses I’d like to get stainless or braided so what needs to be done to fit them to the new bracket?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt