Close

Default Correct battery placement in a 83

Installing a new battery tray and the new OEM negative cable is installed... When setting the battery in the tray it looks like all of the battery cables line right up if the battery is set with the two poles next to the fender rather than the engine side, as I assumed was the right way?? Nothing in my FSM to guide me.....
    I also assume the positive cable went UNDER the air intake hose ( from the fender to the air cleaner,) but again, the ( what I think is an OEM Positive cable) seems to fit perfectly going over the top of the intake hose????

Can anyone help me here?? Thanks

83 vert, 5 liter, manual........
    Last edited by Bentley; 04-01-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Poles to the inside. No clue about original setup for the cables. My ground goes under. My positive goes over but it isn't original.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Cables to the inside. Water and snow can get down the hood gap and onto battery terminals the other way around.
    On my car, battery is on the pass side. Requires a battery group size ending with an ' R' for correct battery terminal placement.
    The truck battery is on the ds, not an 'R' battery. R means reverse terminal config.
    The cables route factory correct on both vehicles. both have the + terminal to the rear and the start solenoid.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-02-2023 at 03:44 PM.

Ok.... If installed with the two poles towards the engine, my Neg cable does not reach.... I will try to find a different place to attach it to the engine...
    The pos cable, from the relay, would go under the Air Cleaner hose then....
    Thanks for the help, I will fool with it some more.....
    So with the water getting on the bat terminals, if facing towards the fender, would the concern be the water shorting out the battery?

Yes, like emerygt350 and gr79 stated, the battery terminals go to the inside.

And both battery cables do go underneath the air cleaner intake hose, in a from-the-factory arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Requires a battery group size ending with an ' R' for correct battery terminal placement.
    The truck battery is on the ds, not an 'R' battery. R means reverse terminal config.
    The cables route factory correct on both vehicles. both have the + terminal to the rear and the start solenoid.
    First I've ever heard about the battery group size needing to end in an "R". The Motorcraft BXT56A battery has the correct terminal placement and it is listed as a Group Size 56, without any kind of "R" designation.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...-mustang?pos=0
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Default r or no

Note were the red + terminal is.
    If the battery is made to install on the opposite side of engine bay, then the cables wind up on the fender side of battery.
    Cables may not reach unless battery is turned around.
    If not aware of the difference, the cables may not route right.

This is the one i use in the Mustang, only a 96R not a 40R.
    Passenger side location
    Many newer Fords use an xxR battery.

My Ranger is not an R battery, location is drivers side. BXT-65 no R.

Ok. I understand all that. I agree that in your examples an 'R' suffix is applicable.

My comment was more directed to your statement "On my car, battery is on the pass side. Requires a battery group size ending with an ' R' for correct battery terminal placement." I was just pointing out that there is at least one battery (the Motorcraft BXT56A) that does not have an 'R' designation, and that was designed for passenger side mounting on a foxbody.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    I was just pointing out that there is at least one battery (the Motorcraft BXT56A) that does not have an 'R' designation, and that was designed for passenger side mounting on a foxbody.
    Interesting? I just put a BXT56A in my 86' and it's on the drivers side. The positive cable is further towards the front of the car and the negative the rear.

I'm sure this doesn't help or pertain to the original post, but just throwing it out there.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Where'd you get yours at? Ford or a parts store?

And was that the terminal positioning on your previous battery?

That BXT56A is the battery that comes up as the O'Reilly's recommended one for both an 85 and an 86, even though they're mounted on opposite sides of the engine bay. That's a little odd to me. For some unknown reason, I always thought the positive terminal was positioned to the rear. That may have just been me inventing a reason though.

Availability may also be a factor in O'Reilly's choices. Not that they are any kind of expert anyway.

Ordered it from parts.ford.com and picked it up from a local dealership

Terminal positioning was the same, it replaced some weird off-brand called called Sure Start(?)

Last edited by ITdude87; 04-27-2023 at 11:00 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)