Close

Default Hood release pull handle

Can anyone tell me if the hood release pull bracket attaches to the steering wheel mounting studs with the same two nuts, or does the hood release bracket get two separate fasteners of its own?

83 mustang....... Thanks

Same two nuts on mine. Tried to post a pic for you but can’t seem to make it work.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the hood release pull bracket attaches to the steering wheel mounting studs with the same two nuts, or does the hood release bracket get two separate fasteners of its own?

83 mustang....... Thanks
    Make certain you push-in the '83 hood lever release after each use. There was a defect in '83 regarding 'sticky' hood cables. Won't catch and hood will flip-up destroying your cowl

Even though i keep the hood latch well lubed, the t handle broke off mine few years ago.

Have another complete assy but still able to open the hood with a good finger grip on the handle stub.
    Luv hood pins. Visual peace of mind. Sometimes can forget to push the hood all the way back down.
    Like after battery charging or maintenance.
    Also hood gas struts are extra insurance well worth the money and work great. Hood props suck.

Had the hood fly up on my 67 at about 45 mph. No damage but is a freak out experience.
    Read that hoods are hinged to have a gap when open to see the road if that happens.
    Have gotten on the xway and seen the hood was on the safety catch.
    Thus gas shocks are on both vehicle hoods. No safety chain or strap needed like race cars.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-01-2023 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy700 View Post
    Same two nuts on mine. Tried to post a pic for you but can’t seem to make it work.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Make certain you push-in the '83 hood lever release after each use. There was a defect in '83 regarding 'sticky' hood cables. Won't catch and hood will flip-up destroying your cowl
    Installing a new cable ( oem) because of the broken T pull.... I will try to remember that.... Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    I did not know this. Lucky enough when I got the car the hood wouldn’t even open cause the release handle was corroded or rusted solid. I just cut it off and ended up using a bicycle spoke nipple to pinch a new release handle on the cable. I think it was off a piece of exercise equipment,not fancy but functional …I usually don’t have that kinda luck.
    it’s usually me finding out the hard way. As for the posters question on mine was on bottom of dash left of column.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbsovertech View Post
    I did not know this.
    I only discovered this on my own, about one year into ownership, but not before my mechanic's helper BEAT the living heII out of the front of my hood, trying to close it, resulting in three baseball-sized dents! I was mad AF!! I had to sand-down the hood and use filler, but would rather have skipped that. Luckily, the hood didn't fly open on the highway as so many others have experienced. It may have been a problem with '84 hood cables as well.

So, when you pop-open the hood, press in the Release Lever, and you'll be good to go
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 04-13-2023 at 12:44 PM. Reason: sp. -1