Close

Default Fuse 8 keeps blowing / fuel door/dome etc

Electrical is not my strong suit. My fuse blows as soon as it is installed in the fuse box. I have the fuse box out I just don’t know what I need to do or test or jump wires. There is a black with orange stripe that’s hot and green with yellow stripe.

I would figure out which circuits go through that fuse. Sounds like you have a dead short on one of those circuits.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Agree with massacre here.... you've got a direct short somewhere. Could be a bad/pinched/worn wire anywhere in that circuit or could be a switch itself. You could try narrowing it down by removing an individual load (ie, the switch itself) and seeing it if solves the problem. For example, disconnect the dome light (or just remove the bulb for that example), or unplug the fuel door switch, etc, and see if the fuse still blows. Try and narrow the problem down by method of elimination, by verifying that certain components are not the problem. Just might need a bunch of fuses though.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Electrical circuits are fused to protect the wiring. The fuse should pop before the wires burn up.
    Same recommendation as 85gt guy above- need to remove circuits to narrow down the location of the problem.
    And yes, you will need a bunch of extra fuses. Keep disconnecting stuff until the fuse does not pop.
    Let us know how you make out.
    You don't say what car this is, but a wiring diagram for your car would be helpful.
    Last edited by massacre; 03-27-2023 at 04:13 PM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Supporter

If you've had any of the door pin switches out recently, I'd start there. Our Ford's run 12v+ through the switch and rest ground on the bulbs that get illuminated. The 12v+ wire is easily "grounded out" when the door pins are incorrectly installed or the switches are no longer properly insulated from the body of the car. Another trouble spot that often blows that fuse is in the a pillar. That one happens when the a pillar trim gets installed incorrectly and pinches the wire running up to the dome lamp on the roof. Sometimes a screw can also ground out that wire too and blow fuses.

Gotta just do detective work working with one section of each related harness at a time until you find the culprit.
    '85 GT