Close

Default Pace Car Front Bumper and Side Marker Lights

I've never had to separate the actual cover from the header panel on a fox. Is it pretty simple? I know I can buy hardware kits with the correct (or similar) rivets, but is there anything else I need to know?

I'm going to have to replace the base plates/inner lamp housings for the side marker lights, since both of mine are broken. My understanding is the bumper cover needs to come off the header panel. Correct me, if I'm wrong! I really hate messing with this stuff because the bumper assembly is in really good shape, compared to the rest of the car. Removing the front bumper assembly was a nightmare.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I understand why you are hesitant to remove the cover. Drilling out the rivets and all.
    Can you try to remove all the screws and bolts from the back side and make the required room like that?
    Good luck.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

That may be possible. I'll take a close look at it today or tomorrow and see, but it didn't sound promising. If it's just a matter of drilling some rivets and then reattaching it with new rivets, then it might not be too bad. I just know these cars well enough to know they have "cans of worms" hidden in lots of places lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Well, I walked away from this project last year, but I'm back to this very point. I was looking at the side markers last night and I can almost get to the 2 mounting screws without separating the bumper cover from the header.

I found a video on YouTube but the camera angles don't show how he did it. He drills out 2 rivets and pops the backing plate right out. Mine has 2 small screws, not mounted with rivets. I'm just confused. His was an 83 and mine is 79, so maybe they're made differently. Who knows.
    An offset 1/4" wrench might do the trick, if I'm holding my tongue right. But then again, I'm not even sure the mounting plate will come out with the bumper together.

Another weird thing...I found a new aftermarket lens in my parts stash. However, it looks like this one is a lens and the mounting plate both as one molded piece. I don't understand how something so simple can be this complicated lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I don't recall any of the side marker brackets being mounted with rivets in my experience. Pretty sure the screws are standard OEM. My guess would be the holes stripped out and someone chose to use rivets instead.

Removing the brackets with the cover on will be difficult. Not sure that's it actually possible, but I honestly have never tried that. I generally just strip the cover off and then refurbish my headlight support and then reinstall, so I can say definitely. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think I managed to circumvent replacing these altogether. One of the backing plates isn't broken. It just had a piece of the lens assembly stuck in there. The other side is definitely broken, but it's not an integral part of the plate. The main piece is still mounted solid. The piece that is cracked, I believe I'll just glue or mend in whatever fashion I can come up with. Or it may even be fine leaving as is or removing the broken piece. It's not normally the way I like to do things, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is just going to be a fun cruiser....not a show car.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 02-23-2024 at 08:09 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd