Close

Default 45 Years Ago Today

My factory ordered 1978 Mercury Zephyr was delivered to me at my apartment in Kent Ohio.
    I still feel the same excitement every time I drive it as the first time I drove it March 21st 1978.
    Name:  ZEPHYR AT COASTERS.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  137.6 KB
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Was the '78 your first new car? Such an exciting feeling. I remember reading about how the dealer sometimes had a 'bad reputation' and how there is a city park today where the dealer once stood!

Yes it was my first and only new car. Ordered with a $200 deposit and another $187 on the 18th, the day I went to pick it up and before I found out it was not ready. I am confused on when they brought it to me. I see that somewhere else I said it was the 23rd. The title was made out on the 22nd but that came in the mail later. The plates were issued on the 20th. How do you do that without a title?
    All I know is that the roof was not painted when they said to pick it up. And I refused to come back to pick it up.
    They delivered it the next week and swore at me when they did. The story is on here somewhere. Payments were $151 something for 3 years.
    And I moved to California so the car would not rust to pieces. Glad the place went under in the early '80's.

Great that you are still owning it. Your website is nice too. I glanced through the pages, I think the schematics can be used for my October 78 built mustang. Seems a.ll the same.

O, own mine since 2007. I was 9 years of age in 1978.
    Last edited by Hans; 03-22-2023 at 02:31 PM.

I was -9 in 1978

Red78 - While that car is not my cup of tea, it's super cool that you've held onto it for as long as you have and that it's presumably still on the road.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 03-22-2023 at 03:45 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    I moved to California so the car would not rust to pieces. Glad the place went under in the early '80's.
    Its something, don't know how I remember this, but you originally had the 7 digit Blue & Gold tags on it? (I'm a total License-Plate Head), but then after an accident, the RMV wouldn't let you keep them?? I would've said "Frick that!! I'm keeping them!"

When I lived out there, I had the good fortune of finding an arrow-straight '66 Coupe, and it had the same style 7 digit plates! At the Registry, the lady said "Ohhhh, 60 dollars back-owed on a PNO" ('Planned Non-Operation'), and when I didn't react(luckily I didn't react) she waved the fees! I remember of the 50 or so people parked downstairs in my building, my '66 was THE only one with Blue plates, everyone else had the newer ones
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 03-30-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Its something, don't know how I remember this, but you originally had the 7 digit Blue & Gold tags on it? (I'm a total License-Plate Head), but then after an accident, the RMV wouldn't let you keep them?? I would've said "Frick that!! I'm keeping them!"
    You have a great memory. Back then I was not really thinking of the plates. I was sort of upset about losing them and having to remember a new number. But I had never even thought about taking it to a car show. How my mind changed after restoring it. Still remember the old number but not the new. Should have fought to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    You have a great memory. Back then I was not really thinking of the plates. I was sort of upset about losing them and having to remember a new number. But I had never even thought about taking it to a car show. How my mind changed after restoring it. Still remember the old number but not the new. Should have fought to keep them.
    haha Thanks. I remember our plates were issued in California, the 7 digit Blue ones, from 1981 to 1986. The first issue was '1AAA' while mine was '1NCP' and issued Summer 1985.

Then, those controversial 'sunset' plates were released that few liked, looked like the NM plate. So in-use from 1983 to 1986. The typewriter-script ones were some of my favorites, then the ubiquitous 'Cursive' ones in use for the past 30 years, with no indication of going anywhere
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 04-14-2023 at 01:52 AM. Reason: added text

Neat you still have her.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White