Close

Default Rack and Pinion "Click click"...

I have been trying to get to the bottom of a click click noise in my steering when I turn the wheel left and right. I am doing this with the engine off.

The car recently started to "wander" on the highway. The problem did seem to start out of no where.

The car has 160K miles, the rack was replaced 10 yrs ago. The tie outer tie rods were NOT replaced.

I replaced the outer tie rods and the steering and feel improved significantly but probs stated above still persist but car is much tighter.
    I did check the inner tie rods and I did not think they were a problem but I then replaced them next.

Again, the car improved even more BUT the clicking is still there and the wander is much less than before.

My gut originally felt it was the rack itself and when I replaced the driver side inner tie rod I noticed the shaft had movement when I would unscrew the large nut that holds it in place. I am talking about unnatural rotational movement of the shaft that just struck me as not being normal.

I tried to turn shaft at rag joint while holding the rack shaft to isolate the click but it has been difficult to isolate.

It feels like it is in the column but from underneath it feels like it is in the rack...the damn click travels harmonically thru the system.

I bit the bullet and ordered a new rack BUT I am wondering if there is anything that can make a click click in the actual steering column. The rag joint is GOOD...again I am thinking internal rack issue at the pinion gear but I am open to thoughts...
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

I can't help with your question about the steering rack. But although for the MOT check the garage said all was okay, my car's front suspension rattled really loud on rough tarmac, and steered left and right on its own over bumps.
    Cause were the lower control arm bushings.
    I got the BMR LCA's with the urethane bushings. All other rubbers on the front replaced by urethane at the same time.
    Those are actually terrible for comfort. I'd say they ruined the fun to cruise around.
    And here we have probably the best roads in the world.
    But no wandering on its own anymore.
    Get the standard replacement LCA'S.
    Good luck.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

I had a similar problem.
    With the engine off and the steering unlocked, I was able to feel a clunk.
    I took the horn cover off and to my amazement, I could see the wheel slipping in either direction when I turned the wheel.
    It seems that the nut had lost its torque.
    I removed the nut and sure enough, there is enough factory play between the dog on the shaft and the slot in the wheel.
    I added a soft washer under the nut and retightened the nut.
    It worked for me. No more noise or vague steering.
    It might be your problem.
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.

You may want to check the two bolts that hold the upper column to the lower, same for tilt and non tilt. The procedure is in here http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/column.html
    This has helped me get rid of slop and wandering before, might help you.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

I wonder, did you ever find the source of that noise??
    Inquiring minds would like to know ?
    Scott
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.