Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default vBulletin upgrade + SSL?

Hey guys.

- Has there been any talk of upgrading the forum beyond version 4.2.1?

- The site could use an SSL certificate (HTTPS://) as well (at a minimum)....It's not expensive.

Just wondering. Cheers.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 03-20-2023 at 02:00 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Uhm, I see water burning if you use terms like that.
    That's probably the reason for no replies yet.
    Old timers with old cars...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Uhm, I see water burning if you use terms like that.
    That's probably the reason for no replies yet.
    Old timers with old cars...
    LOL - No kidding.

I'll try and put it a little simpler - I'm in Information Security/IT as my profession, hence the username.

The message board here is wayyyy out dated and could use an update/upgrade to at least version 5.

Also - If you look at the URL bar in your browser it will say "Not Secure". That's because foureyedpride.com is http:// not https:// - There's no SSL certificate assigned to the website. Think of it as cheap insurance.

These things jump out like a sore thumb and should be relatively straightforward to remediate if somebody put a little bit of effort into it.

The website/board is literally hanging by a thread. That's the best analogy I can use.

I am, will continue to be, and strongly encourage everyone here to be very wary about any PII (personally identifiable information) that's posted....And for the love of god take my word of advice....Please do NOT reuse your FEP password anywhere else.

I'd be happy to assist or explain if whomever the webmaster is here were to reach out.

I can tell you guys right now, with minimal effort and public tools, that the foureyedpride.com domain will expire April of 2025 and is hosted by inmotionhosting.com and tierra.net. I would classify those as "mom and pop".
    Last edited by ITdude87; 03-22-2023 at 03:35 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    LOL - No kidding.

I'll try and put it a little simpler - I'm in Information Security/IT as my profession, hence the username.

The message board here is wayyyy out dated and could use an update/upgrade to at least version 5.

Also - If you look at the URL bar in your browser it will say "Not Secure". That's because foureyedpride.com is http:// not https:// - There's no SSL certificate assigned to the website. Think of it as cheap insurance.

These things jump out like a sore thumb and should be relatively straightforward to remediate if somebody put a little bit of effort into it.

The website/board is literally hanging by a thread. That's the best analogy I can use.

I am, will continue to be, and strongly encourage everyone here to be very wary about any PII (personally identifiable information) that's posted....And for the love of god take my word of advice....Please do NOT reuse your FEP password anywhere else.

I'd be happy to assist or explain if whomever the webmaster is here were to reach out.

I can tell you guys right now, with minimal effort and public tools, that the foureyedpride.com domain will expire April of 2025 and is hosted by inmotionhosting.com and tierra.net. I would classify those as "mom and pop".
    Nice to see someone with some suggestions on how to clean FEP up a little. As mentioned, It doesn't seem like anyone is actually interested in running this site anymore as I see the Ride of the Month was from July of 2017 :/

However, maybe you can be the guy to spearhead this and remedy these small issues? I'd reach out to whoever runs the forum and see if that's possible. Id imagine they would be thrilled for someone to swoop in and make a couple upgrades!
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Web master and owner of this site is evlgt85.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I am already a site supporter, but I would be willing to pony up (see what I did there ) a few more pesos if it would help with the site's security and/or longevity/feasibility.

There's so much irreplaceable info here, along with some super knowledgeable and genuinely helpful members, that it would be a crying shame to see it fall by the wayside.

ITdude87 - Thanks for your suggestions. I hope they will be heeded.

And also a big thank you to everyone else that contributes and makes this site as good as it is. Lets make it even better.

Four Eyes forever!
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    I am already a site supporter, but I would be willing to pony up (see what I did there ) a few more pesos if it would help with the site's security and/or longevity/feasibility.

There's so much irreplaceable info here, along with some super knowledgeable and genuinely helpful members, that it would be a crying shame to see it fall by the wayside.

And also a big thank you to everyone else that contributes and makes this site as good as it is. Lets make it even better.
    100% my thoughts exactly. I mean everything in the best/nicest way possible. Even if I were to chip in a little more (I would - if that's an issue) - I've already seen my ROI from the advice and information I've received as-is.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I've already seen my ROI from the advice and information I've received as-is.
    Ditto.

And do you have any idea of the cost (even a guesstimate) of what a board upgrade and an SSL cert would be?

And I'm afraid it may be about the time and effort involved, as much as the actual costs.
    Last edited by 85GTGuy; 03-23-2023 at 08:50 AM.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

vBulletin 5 is currently $209 for an upgrade or $359 for upgrade + mobile bundle. The cost is not really an issue. It is the instllation and configuration.

An SSL certificate could could be anywhere from $0 to ~$350/yr.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The cost is not really an issue. It is the instllation and configuration.
    Kinda what I thought might be the case. We'll see where all this goes....

vBulletin 5 is currently $209 for an upgrade or $359 for upgrade + mobile bundle. The cost is not really an issue. It is the instllation and configuration.

An SSL certificate could could be anywhere from $0 to ~$350/yr.
    $350/yr is definitely on the extreme end for FEP's needs, but the 'installation' is a dead simple copy and paste once you have it. I'd imagine you'd be just fine with the most basic level offering for the cert.

I can't speak to the board upgrade without digging in, but so long as you take a good snapshot or backup prior to doing anything there's not much to worry about.

You're right though - it'll take a little bit of work. Luckily upgrades are much easier than new installs since the "bones" are already in place.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Well doctor, I mean ITdude87, could you possibly be of any help if the higher-ups determine your services could be beneficial to them?

(Not trying to put any more on your plate..... we're all busy with things..... but it doesn't appear updating this site is very much of a priority to the owner.)

My end goal is just for this site to stay in existence.

Admin - Let me know if I'm stepping on anyone's toes here. If so, I apologize.

Concerning costs, if it is shown what the fair share per member would be for running the site, I guess people gladly pay that.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

I'm not trying to step on any toes either.

Additionally, I don't think FEP is going away anytime soon due to the things I've pointed out. I don't want anyone getting worried or upset because of my observations.

I love this place and have the gift (curse) of having an eye for these things since I work from home and am immersed in it.

85GTGUY: As far as me helping. Well.....yes and no.

If it was me, I wouldn't give the keys to a stranger (nor should you), but I'd be willing to lend a set of eyes and ears should that be necessary. I'm sure there's adequate support and a knowledge base from the vendor directly that outlines what needs to be done. That's my stance.

For all you know, this could be an elaborate and well constructed phishing attempt from me (it's not). See what I mean? That's my whole point of this thread.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 03-23-2023 at 01:28 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I would be totally willing to contribute $$$ to improve the site. Just let me know. Lots of knowledge and info here
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I'm not trying to step on any toes either.

Additionally, I don't think FEP is going away anytime soon due to the things I've pointed out. I don't want anyone getting worried or upset because of my observations.

I love this place and have the gift (curse) of having an eye for these things since I work from home and am immersed in it.

85GTGUY: As far as me helping. Well.....yes and no.

If it was me, I wouldn't give the keys to a stranger (nor should you), but I'd be willing to lend a set of eyes and ears should that be necessary. I'm sure there's adequate support and a knowledge base from the vendor directly that outlines what needs to be done. That's my stance.

For all you know, this could be an elaborate and well constructed phishing attempt from me (it's not). See what I mean? That's my whole point of this thread.
    Understand all your points. Thanks for your observations and input.

Let's hope for the best. And that the powers-to-be recognize the desire from many of us to keep this site functional, long-lived and safe.

The original Ford flathead V8 forum: dead - owner apathy
    Turbopinto.com: dead - owner incompetence, would n'tsell to someone who would fix it
    Merkursport.com: dead - owner killed it for no apparent reason, wouldn't sell, never allowed any bots on, zero info saved
    1954Ford.com: dead - owner died, the designated caretaker had no money to upgrade, killed it

Just sayin'.

Mike

Mustang gt registry is gone too
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Supporter

Carbdford.com ain't workin' either for awhile now...
    '85 GT

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I just updated my own site to SSL, for free. Was easier than I thought. And I did it all from my phone.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-15-2023 at 05:59 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I just updated my own site to SSL, for free. Was easier than I thought. And I did it all from my phone.
    Good on ya! See, that wasn’t so bad eh?
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I like low-cost or no-cost, since I self-host, and I like ease-of-use, since I barely understand Linux. Easy (and cheap) with Let's Encrypt.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I personally hate how Facebook has turned into it's own internet thus pushing out the original forums. I for one, would like to see FEP thrive again. It's still a great community. We just need some adjustment to make the site secure and light the Four Eyed Fire

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

The cost is not really an issue. It is the instllation and configuration.

Sounds encouraging!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast