Close

Default Questions...289 and 4 speed swap into my 84 vert....

Hoping to rip the 3.8 and c5 out soon. Looking for a good used engine and manual.....I know I will need the new pedal setup. But would a 289 be a straight drop in, with the four speed, with just putting 87-93 vert engine mounts in? Would the 4 speed drop in, or require mods?

Also....
    Going carb instead of efi. How big a pia is it going to be with all the wiring?

Thanks!

The 6-cylindet cross member won't work with the V8. The 289 is the same block as a 302 so will bolt right in when you address that. Unless you have a 289 sitting around, why not go for the 302?
    A carb uses low fuel pressure 3-7 psi) and I injection much more so you'd need to change how the fuel is delivered to the front. I use an electric Holley pump mounted out back for mine.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 03-24-2023 at 07:47 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

The straight 6 k member is the one that's a problem (it can be made to work). V6 k member is same as V8. Transmission cross member may or may not work. This is fairly easily fixed too.

Nice k mber setups are not that expensive. Get a light weight one and go for it
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Thanks for correcting me! Forgot that his was a V6 not a straight.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

The Top loader 4 speed has a side action gear linkage that doesn't fit the Fox body unless you use an expanded transmission tunnel. Ford used a self tapper screwed in adaptor on early T4 and T5 gearbox Foxes. You'll have to do some kind of hammer work to make a Top Loader fit. The rest is pretty easy. Sounds like a fun swap.

The starter interlock and some of the fuel lines ne and wiring changes Walking Tall did to his 5.0 swap CFi 3.8.

The car has a two element fuel pump, one in the tank, one at the outside of the fuel tank, and all that Central Fuel Injection wiring for TFi and the injection system. Id personally use the stock CFi, and apply the AOD transmission with the 2350 converter and the 1979 accessory drive with the HO 5.0 CFi computer. The little 289 will work really well with that.

Most 289s came at birth with a 2bbl, just a few were 4bbl, and even less were the sensational Hi Po 271 HP. So decide what you want to do.

Here is Walking Tall's 3.8 CFi to carb 5.0 conversion journal. Page 5 is the most important.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-build-thread

A Very Clever guy!

The only reason I mentioned a 302 versus the 289 mentioned was that the OP said he was looking for a motor - he can probably find a 302 easier, and for potentially less cash, than a 289.
    If you're doing the swap why not consider a T5 instead of a 4-spd?

The only reason for using a 289 would be for nostalgic reasons in a 60's mustang, in my opinion...
    A TKX is another option for a transmission besides a T-5....
    Last edited by Bentley; 04-16-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    would a 289 be a straight drop in, with the four speed, with just putting 87-93 vert engine mounts in?
    No, not a straight drop in. The clutch on the 289 set up uses a bell crank and rod and the newer Mustang is set up for a cable so you would need to figure a way to address that, either with a matching bell housing or aftermarket for the trans and clutch set up you use. The trans mount is easier with some measuring you could find the right set up or have one made. Its your car and you can make it how you like it, people here are just trying to save you some frustration and cash along the way by suggesting using the 302/5.0 set ups.
    A similar question has been brought up before but I couldnt find finished results.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...swap-in-79-fox
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed