Close

Default Rack and pinion Question.

Cant seemed to find Stock Rack and pinion bushings any where . I orderd a set and the inside diameter is to small for the 1985 rack bolts . The ones i orderd are poly they fit in the rack but the bolt wont go threw the center poly bushing. Are the ones on a 85 mustang one piece the bushing !

FEP Senior Member

all i remember is that ford changed the bolt sizes in 87(?). 85 was SAE and 87 was metric. so buy the correct bolt for what you bought. if i remember wrong i am sure someone that knows will correct me.

My '85 LTS used the older style with the big diameter bolts.

I used an older set of 2-piece Energy Suspension poly bushings, similar to this KIT

The stock type are a 1-piece rubber with the flanged inner sleeve, like the 2-piece poly kit, with the serrated end that mates to the K-member.

What poly bushings did you get?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Supporter
    '85 GT

My k member has the big bolt. and im finding out its a one piece bushng. I got the poly bushings from lmr two piece but they wont fit over the meatal sleeve and there to big sliding over the bolt with no sleeve .

Yeah qikgts i think thats the one i need .

You need these to upgrade to the newer bushings/bolts.... And the correct bolts..
    had to drill the hole larger on one side of my K member for these to work.... Very easy to do and alot easier than the older bushings...
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-3620A/musta...ck-sleeve-8504

these bushings are tapered and slotted so they are designed to be a snug fit from one side of the K member....
    I upgraded my 83 to an 03 rack with an MM steering shaft....
    Last edited by Bentley; 03-25-2023 at 07:06 AM.

I bought these for my 85gt , because the car was built before October of 84. They are the Prothane ones Name:  20230319_094445_remastered (1).jpg
Views: 191
Size:  48.6 KB

FEP Supporter

IIRC, my car is 10/84. As notes above it used the early style.
    '85 GT

qikgts did the g-Kit -22207mb bushing kit slide over the bigger bolts that are on my 85 k member ? mine dosent have sleeves its just a bolt .
    Last edited by slimj; 03-21-2023 at 02:59 PM.

88MustangGtrob i got those bushings but they wont slide over the old sleeve . and if you slide just the bushing on the bolt its to loose .

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by slimj View Post
    qikgts did the g-Kit -22207mb bushing kit slide over the bigger bolts that are on my 85 k member ? mine dosent have sleeves its just a bolt .
    It's been awhile but don't recall having to get new bolts.
    '85 GT

To get to the basics here... The earlier cars had a different system.. A LARGER ( diameter) bolt that went through the K member/ bushings in the rack.. The early rack had rubber bushings with a metal sleeve on the inside of the bushings the bolt went through... I have tried to remove them from my 83 rack.. No luck, it must require a press

Later models used a smaller bolt ( diameter) and the K member had sleeves fitted into it, such as the sleeves in the above post.. The sleeve is installed into the K member.. Install two of the four NEWER style bushings on the installed sleeves, install the rack on them, then install the outer bushings...

I installed a newer rack on my 83 K member... Had some experience with this.....
    Last edited by Bentley; 03-25-2023 at 07:27 AM.

88MustangGtrob i got those bushings but they wont slide over the old sleeve . and if you slide just the bushing on the bolt its to loose .
    qikgts listed what you need back up in POST #4

As has been mentioned, the early cars use that big flanged inner sleeve with the serrations on the side that mates to the K-member and a big ass bolt.

The stock rubber bushings are 1-piece around that flanged sleeve. The poly versions are 2-piece around the same flanged sleeve.

Buy the Cardone ones that qikgts linked and be done with it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got the Cardone ones and they fit ! Rack is done . thanks everyone .

FEP Supporter

Got the Cardone ones and they fit ! Rack is done . thanks everyone .
    Woo hoo!
    '85 GT