Close

Default 200ci I6 Cylinder Head Options??

Hey all, I’ve tried search function but couldn’t find answers I was looking for.

I have an 81’ ghia with the 200ci straight 6. I wanna keep the straight 6 but I hate the casted in intake manifold and the stock exhaust manifold. I have been looking for different head options that would allow an aftermarket intake manifold and larger carb, as well as tubular headers. Looking for ideas on what kind of head I could swap on?

I’ve found some split tubular headers online that would possibly allow me to ditch the stock exhaust manifold and go dual exhaust, but they say they’re for the mercury capri with the same engine but not the mustang. Unsure why they wouldn’t fit on a mustang since they seem to be the same car… This wouldn’t solve the intake manifold problem but at least would be a step in the direction I’m trying to go.

Maybe poke around on this website: https://www.vintageinlines.com/
    They make an aluminum head, but it always seems to be out of stock, ie; supply issues
    There may be some other performance options. https://fordsix.com/ is a forum dedicated to the Ford 6s. I think you have to join in order to see or participate.

I did find vintage inlines a while back. Looks like a sweet head but yeah I’ve never seen it available and the price tag is pretty hefty. That’s what brought me here looking for other options. Ideally would like to find a better head from another straight 6 that would bolt on. I know it’s a long shot.

I’ll look into that other forum too. Haven’t come across that one yet.

Faded memory: back in the 70's, Hot Rod mag had on tech article on Ak Miller's mods to the six.

Hot Rod digital archives: https://www.motortrend.com/news/hot-...chive-release/

Happy Hunting!

Mike

I looked into this quite a bit back 5+ years ago for my 1980 I6. There aren't really any cheap options that I could find. There are the usual little things you can do like gasket match, get a 2bbl adapter for the carb, find a head on an older 200. But other than getting the head custom worked by an engine shop, there aren't really many options. And the power output to money spent ratio isn't good. I ended up leaving mine stock. I get the appeal of wanting to spice up the I6 though, good luck to ya!
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by 429bigblock View Post
    I looked into this quite a bit back 5+ years ago for my 1980 I6. There aren't really any cheap options that I could find. There are the usual little things you can do like gasket match, get a 2bbl adapter for the carb, find a head on an older 200. But other than getting the head custom worked by an engine shop, there aren't really many options. And the power output to money spent ratio isn't good. I ended up leaving mine stock. I get the appeal of wanting to spice up the I6 though, good luck to ya!
    Thanks for the info. I talked with guys over at Vintage Inlines and I plan to wait for their aluminum head to be available. They told me production of the heads should be getting consistent pretty soon. While I’m waiting for that, I put their dual outlet header on and had a shop fab up 2.25” true dual exhaust all the way back with magnaflow mufflers. Sounds amazing and definitely opened up some power. Also while I wait, plan to go to an HEI distributor and maybe go to a 2bbl Holley sniper. I know this will be overkill for the moment, but will pay off with the new head when I can get my hands on one and at the same time probably throw in a more aggressive cam and beef up the lower end.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Keep the I-6 as long as you can. I-6's have many hop-up tips you can use. First, I would install a ported-polished 250 Head. Then get a 2V carb. After this, get either a 250 Exhaust manifold (I installed one on my 200), and get a 2 1/4 aluminized exhaust system. I've heard of folks getting over 250hp out of an I-6