Close

Default 82 mustang coupe water leak in trunk

Sorry If I'm posting in wrong forum, please point me to the right one if so.

So I just picked up a 1982 mustang coupe and I noticed that when it rained that there was some water in my trunk. I'm pretty sure it's not the weather strip because it looks to be in pretty good condition ( I ordered new ones anyway for trunk and door to body from lmr.com). I know that the tail light seal that is from the lens to housing is leaking so I bought some 3m butyl to fix that.

It's seems to be leaking from the top right of the trunk. I was trying to look around and it looks like the seam sealer in the trunk just below the rear window (bottom right of rear window) is cracked. I can take some pictures tomorrow or next day or two. I was curious if anyone has had the same problem or if this could be the issue or anyone has has a similar issue.

Also do the make fuel neck gaskets so I can just replace that as well?

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/y5xna1rRYkWb

Picture is not actually my trunk area just for reference! ☝️☝️☝️

Quote Originally Posted by x1986chp View Post
    ...Also do the make fuel neck gaskets so I can just replace that as well?
    Yes. American Muscle, CJ Pony, Late Model Restoration, National Parts Depot, even Rock Auto.... they all sell them. They all may not sell all 3 though....depends which gasket you're looking for...filler neck to trunk floor, gas tank or the body itself.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Yes. American Muscle, CJ Pony, Late Model Restoration, National Parts Depot, even Rock Auto.... they all sell them. They all may not sell all 3 though....depends which gasket you're looking for...filler neck to trunk floor, gas tank or the body itself.
    Yeah I just found them last night lol. I will order one soon just to make sure that's not leaking either.

FEP Power Member

I have been fighting some leaks on my 89 vert. I did find the sheet metal was deformed at the factory at the right corner above the tail light. I believe I reworked it by adding foam to the bottom side under the trunk gasket. They do make new seals for the tail lights but I'm not sure if it covers all years. Maybe try putting some grease on the trunk lid sheet metal to see where the trunk gasket hits or does not touch when closed.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I have been fighting some leaks on my 89 vert. I did find the sheet metal was deformed at the factory at the right corner above the tail light. I believe I reworked it by adding foam to the bottom side under the trunk gasket. They do make new seals for the tail lights but I'm not sure if it covers all years. Maybe try putting some grease on the trunk lid sheet metal to see where the trunk gasket hits or does not touch when closed.
    I'm almost 100% positive it's not getting from the weather strip but if it is I already ordered new one from lmr.com. I think it's the seam seal that's cracked. I'll have to fix my lights and put new weather strip on 1st to eliminate those to see if it's still leaking and go from there I guess

Maybe check the drain hose connection for the top and see if it might be cracked and leaking.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Maybe check the drain hose connection for the top and see if it might be cracked and leaking.
    For the fuel neck?

Quote Originally Posted by x1986chp View Post
    For the fuel neck?
    Sorry I misread, you have a notch not a convertible. My bad.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Sorry I misread, you have a notch not a convertible. My bad.
    All gravy

Do you know any small people who can get in the trunk while you water test it?? I dated some petite woman back in my day that would fit....
    Start with your hose at the lowest areas and work UP.... NO nozzle or pressure, just a nice flow.... Take your time and go slowly... Small person in the trunk with flashlight needs to keep an eye open...
    Again start at the bottom areas where it might be leaking and move UP as you test it....

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Do you know any small people who can get in the trunk while you water test it?? I dated some petite woman back in my day that would fit....
    Start with your hose at the lowest areas and work UP.... NO nozzle or pressure, just a nice flow.... Take your time and go slowly... Small person in the trunk with flashlight needs to keep an eye open...
    Again start at the bottom areas where it might be leaking and move UP as you test it....
    Wife's pretty small so maybe I'll have her do it and then forget to open trunk afterwards and take kids for ice cream!

Lmao .......
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.