Close

Default Electric Radiator Fan on 3.8 v6 Cars OEM?

I have a question that isnt a problem but more of an observation i want confirmation on.

Was the electric radiator fan available as an option or was it original equipment on some 3.8 v6 cars?
    Can someone provide something factory related to clarify it was available at all?

I have never seen one on a 3.8 v6 foureyed car ive owned or in person anywhere, only clutch driven fans up untill late 80s.
    However, i see these electric radiator fans occasionally in pictures online in foureyed cars that look like oem stock units you would see in 4 cyl cars from the factory.
    All the pictures ive seen were of '83 model year mustangs only. Ive never seen one in any other foureyed car.
    I dont recall ever seeing any circuit diagrams related to 3.8 v6 cars mentioning a fan circuit or temp sensor for the fan control for '83, nor do i recall ever seeing anything in any factory literature in picture form of one in a car.
    But, i havent seen it all so im asking those that may have.

Thanks.

I don't know about the V6 or the n/a 2.3 cars but all of the 2.3t got electric fans from when they first started making them in '83.

Here are 2 examples of what i mean, these are not my pictures i apologise if they are yours.

The top one is from a very low mileage original car currently for sale and the bottom i believe was from some early convertible. I had doubts about the bottom one being original to the car untill i saw the top vehicle.
    I could not find in anything ive seen a picture from ford or in advertising that shows or mentions these being available, only pictures or diagrams of the 3.8 v6 with a fan clutch attached.
    I dont understand why they would put it in, only in the mustang like this and drop them later for the clutch driven unit considering the horsepower it had originally.

That appears to be the same fan used on the four cylinders.

Seems so, i just dont get why they only did it for that one year for the 3.8, and on just the mustang(or capri).
    The 60/65 amp alternator they used was available in all the cars that motor was in that year, and later ones
    I would like to know why ford bothered to at all and then drop it. The 3.8 has some hustle without the clutch fan draining some of it, sure would sound a bit quiter without one..

So to update my thread after some research to answer my own question the Electro-Drive Cooling Fan was available on the 82-83 Ford Mustang and Mercury Capri and for 1983 with the 3.8 v6 engine.
    Why did they drop it on that particular setup yet continue making it available for the 2.3l both n/a and turbo motor, who knows.