Close

Default T top mustang or capri build

Hi guys
    I've been a part of this forum for many years thanks for all the support and info you guys have been invaluable
    My question is that I have an 84 t top mustang (I love t tops) and and an 8 black magic neither car is all original or stock. I can only build one...wich one would you build and would you chop the t top out of the stang and put it on the capri or what...
    83 t-top crimson cat (RIP)
    82 black magic 351w aod 3:55
    92 mustang lx coupe sold. Wish I never did
    84 mustang GT T-top NEW project
    for all n.c.peeps
    http://www.heartofcarolinamustangclub.org
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2060630

The Bigger Question is which one do you want to build if you can only build one?

Obviously Capris are a bit more rare and unique and you don't see many theses days. The downside is that many of the unique Capri parts are harder to source so if you need specific body parts for the Capri that can add time and cost to the project.

The 84 being a T-top is Awesome and if it's a later model GT with the fog lights in the front bumper cover then that makes it more rare too. Obviously the 83/84 Mustangs do have a few unique parts so that can add difficulty when building if needed, but most of the Four Eyes parts will work and be very similar if not identical.

If this is a budget constraint more than time issue, then the next question is which one is the less expense to build at this time?

If you chop the T-tops out of the 84, then at that point the car is either just a parts car or a major project to put back together. If you can only build one and you decide to build the Capri, selling the 84 can help fund the Capri project. As mentioned above the Capri and especially the Black Magic Capris have unique parts so if you are trying to build it somewhat original or stock that can add to your costs in regards to interior parts and materials. If that is not an issue for you than there are too many options to choose from which is my route for my 81 Black Magic since it is nothing more than a shell at this point in time. Hope this helps and good luck with your decisions.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Besides being a huge Capri fan, I would do the Capri because it is some form of limited production/special edition.
    I would try to make it look closer to stock, on the outside anyway. if possible.

Nope would not swap T-tops. I'm "decent" at body work, but that sounds like a nightmare project except
    for all but the professionals. I had to weld in a new A-pillar on my offroad rig that got smashed in a roll.
    Was not easy to get that part of body all lined up, and I wasn't even that concerned that it would look
    pretty when it was done.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Wraithracing the 84 does have the fog lights in the bumper cover silver and black trying to send a pic but its saying too large
    83 t-top crimson cat (RIP)
    82 black magic 351w aod 3:55
    92 mustang lx coupe sold. Wish I never did
    84 mustang GT T-top NEW project
    for all n.c.peeps
    http://www.heartofcarolinamustangclub.org
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2060630