Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So busy, but finally got some time today. Pistons all installed and test fit pan.

When installing:

I DID end up dipping/soaking the piston in a bit of oil. Yes, I mentioned earlier I did it a different way prior, but really wanted to be SURE of good oil lube. And, well, it is a better way. Just messier.

So each piston: held it by rod, made sure the ring end gaps were located correctly. Then dip in the oil. I then, while it's soaking, clean the bearing journals with degreaser. Then pull out the piston and get most of the oil off and set it in your installation ring. Gently push it in (remember to orient the arrow on the piston to the front). If it stops hard pull it out and have another go at it. A ring may have slipped out and caught on the block face - you don't want to force it and damage a ring or ring groove. Usually it goes about 3/4 the way in easy, then tap rest of way with a wooden handle. All the time keeping track of the rod as it goes in so it doesn't nick the journal of the crank or get caught up on the block. When the piston is just flush with the deck I spin the block over, make sure the bearing journals are still oil free, snap in the bearing, lube it, then push/tap it down until it seats on the crank.

Then install a bearing in the rod cap, and install. Again, use your hands and not the bolts to pull it down snug, then torque to spec.

The second piston of each pair is a little more challenging because of limited space and the rods needing to be parallel or it wants to jam up. Just take your time and go slow. Don't forget a bit of lube on the sides of the rod where they touch each other around the bearing

How slow? I spent about 2 hours installing the pistons.

Then install your oil pump. DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE OIL PUMP DRIVE SHAFT IN FIRST. The collar goes up towards the dizzy (or down since you're working on the bottom of the block). Then the oil pickup and you can test fit your gasket and pan. I'm using a one piece rubber/metal gasket. The only thing I will ever use again.

My apologies for not taking a pic partway through.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Some use a tin/soup/veggie can for the oiling , I used a plastic tub that used to have dishwasher tabs in it (from Costco). Filled it about 1/2-1" so when I set the piston in it gets everywhere - the rod bushing, rings, etc. As I was letting it drip off before stabbing it in I used my finger to swab oil off the crown and get it on the skirts real good.

It's just a matter of doing the same thing 8 times. Not hard, just pay attention.

Last edited by richpet; 07-04-2023 at 06:47 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Today I painted the timing pointer using leftover 'bright red' VHT paint.

I also measured the bolt lengths I will need for the installation of the water pump.

Hi Richpet,
    Great tutorial!

I have a question about the stroker kit.
    Do they come balanced from Scat?
    So you can drop it straight in?

I saw ads saying it needs balanced and others don't.

Thanks a lot,
    Looking forward to your next update.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

The machine shop I had do the block work did the balancing. I believe you can order it balanced, but that also involves installing the piston to the rod, which I prefer the shop to do as that clearance for installing the pin is TIGHT.
    If I bought a balanced kit I would probably still have a local shop double check it.

Thanks for the answer.
    Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Ok, it's not much, but...
    Lifters installed.

There is debate over soaking in oil or not, etc. In the past I have, this time I chose not to. Doing so makes them stiffer so one *might* have a harder time adjusting preload. Not doing so means they *might* make a little noise on start up. I plan to really prelube the motor several times using the dizzy shaft, so all should be well.

Each was solvent cleaned and blown out well to be fully dry and solvent free.

Then I shake each to be sure the check ball is moving freely.

Then lube up the sides and pin for the roller that rides on the cam.

Drop them in. Add a 'dog bone'. The dog bone is marked 'up' and has a raised bump. Install it, well, up.

Install spider and use a bit of thread locker on the bolts. In a hydraulic flat tappet motor the lifters rotate in the bores. In a roller cam motor they do NOT. Otherwise the roller wheel may not align with the cam. That's what the dog bones do - they keep the roller of the lifter square to the cam. Hence the reason a flat tappet hydraulic cam does not have the dog bones or spider.

I would have posted pics of the dog bones, etc, but 'up' is very clear so I didn't.

Anywho, next is heads, which have to be installed prior to the intake. I don't have $2k+ at the moment, so, soon....

Last edited by richpet; 07-28-2023 at 06:35 PM.

These " Lifter Holders" came out of my Explorer engine I purchased and rebuilt.. I found some new ones online and used them instead of dog bones...

OOPS, lost the pics, I will try later..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bentley; 07-29-2023 at 07:23 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123