Close

Thread: WTF Moog

Default WTF Moog

So, I've been fighting this rattle on our 2014 Fusion. I found a loose plastic underside tray, a can of sunscreen sitting next to the back seat hinges, and the trunklid spring were all possible culprits, but locking them down made zero difference. Then I took a ride in the trunk to see if that would tell me anything. Mechanic life, amirite? It is a metal on metal rattle coming from the right rear suspension area. I didn't see anything loose or suspicious there, but I thought I would try a sway bar link. I went on Rockauto and found a Moog one that look good. It's beefier and greasable, so that sold me on it. Waited the week for it to come. Installed it and went on a test drive with great anticipation of success. Made ZERO difference whatsoever. Did some more "inspecting" and found nothing that looked out of place. A friend of mine suggested I try rear shocks since that was the cause of a rattle from the rear on his Fusion of the same body style. Got some nice, made in the USA Monroe "OE" shocks and installed them. The old shocks didn't seem "bad" to me (no fluid leak, not floppy), but what do I know? I can still hear something back there, though I don't think it's the original noise.

Later, I was looking under there, and noticed something crazy. My fancy new sway bar link was TOUCHING the control arm! WTF? Did Moog even test fit these things on an actual car before they put them on the market?!

So then I decided I wasn't going to take a chance that was (also?) causing a noise. I replaced it with a new Motorcraft one.

Maybe this isn't THE problem, but the Motorcraft is nowhere near touching. I feel better about that. I've just come in from installing this one. I think I can maybe still hear a noise, but I'll need to do further investigating. Another ride in the trunk, perhaps. If there's still a noise, I guess I'll wave the white flag and take it to the damn dealer or something. For already feeling pretty lousy about my prospects for being able to fix things, I really didn't need this. Makes me miss having new cars.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Moog quality has gone downhill for sure. Which sucks, cause they used to be my go to.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Yeah it does. Seeing the direction new cars are going, my mind is on what we would even replace these cars we have with pretty often. I keep wanting to get something older like mid-90s. But older cars need repairs and maintenance. The state of the parts industry is about as scary. What option does that leave us?!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual