Close

Default SPS by Audiovoxx 8 track Head unit

I have an 82 audiovox head unit MODEL NO. FO-DLX that was recently upgraded with a BT module. The car also has premium sound with the factory amp still installed and working. Has anyone hooked up these older HU to a modern aftermarket amp? My concern is the lack of (audio ground) outputs coming from the head unit itself, there are only four (+) speaker outputs, and I can’t seem to find a straight answer after making a few phone calls to some radio supply stores with no luck. I really don’t want to get rid of the radio being that its got the right looks vs the new retro 2 knob radios, it has BT and an awesome 8 TRACK setup! Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Questionn being
    How would one add the audio ground signals from the radio to new amp four each speaker channel?!

Thank you
    Dillon

IMO if there's no ground from the head unit, then it'd be sort of a lost cause unless you want to start splicing and hacking things together.

However, posting a photo of the back of the head unit would be a good start. Knowing those kind of details offhand about a 41 year old stereo is a bit of a reach.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

No I didnt want to hack anything together. I do plenty of wiring repairs and troubleshooting for work AC MX. Anyway there's not much to look at on the head unit. Can I use the output side of the factory amp to a LOC to new amp then speakers? Name:  20230308_072711.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  184.1 KB
    Name:  20230308_072755.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  163.3 KB

According to my all data wiring print all of the speakers get there ground from inside the factory amp.

I honestly don't know.

If it was me, I wouldn't do any of this.

However - If there is ground inside the factory amp, then I don't think it would hurt to try connecting the factory amp to your new amp. I think you've got your answer. The only reason I say this, is because it's such a low powered (I forget how many watts, but it's low) unit I don't think you'll hurt anything with the new equipment. Just don't put everything back together until you fire it up and test it.

Curiosity is killing me - How the hell did you add bluetooth capability to that thing? LOOOOL
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Not really sure if this helps you or not but they make car stereo floating ground adapters to convert between common and floating systems etc. However I think they are usually used to run a more modern head unit (separate pos/neg speaker wires) with your old common ground amplifier.

If I understand it sounds like you want to do the opposite, use your 8 track with a modern amp instead and not the premium sound amp ?

Not sure if they make a converter to go the other way.

ITdude87
    I didn't personally do it. I saw a guy on a FOXBODY FB page that refurbishes older Ford head units and sells them with Bluetooth capability. So I sent him mine to inspect and potentially repair any small electronics inside if need be. It was a little pricey at $150 for a $10 module. It looks like 4 wires 12v, ground and 2 signal wires. Anyway yes the factory amp from what I can tell was super low like 12watts or something for output

At_the_junkyard
    I have seen the floating ground adapter but you are correct, its opposite of my application. From what I read its for new head units with old common ground speakers. I dont think they are universal in the direction of operation.
    I think the factory amp has a floating ground because with no power on the negative speaker wires show open on a multimeter.i have to put a battery back in the car and try with key on and see what I get for readings... volts and ohms on the speaker leads out of the amp.
    But yes you are correct in the fact that I want to put a new amp in place of the factory one if it was possible.

TBH I can't believe this is something anybody hasn't done. Surely someone has done this. I guess I'll just piggyback the amps and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowngt95 View Post
    TBH I can't believe this is something anybody hasn't done. Surely someone has done this. I guess I'll just piggyback the amps and see what happens.
    That's what I would try. No different than a new head unit that produces ~20W/ch out of the box.

To be fair though - The sample size of people who have done, or are doing what you're doing is undoubtedly small. Most folks upgrade or stick with OEM replacements.

You never mentioned which year/model car this is going into?
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I understand that 100% I get a kick out of the 8 track player. I bought a couple rock 8 tracks off ebay, Ted nugent, van halen ect... to me its just something unique this day and age with all the new wizbangs available
    The car is a late 82 t-top hatch build. Titled 1983 GT I found it on marketplace in Indiana. I started a little build thread on the car show and tell page.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ld-Restoration

Thanks for your input!

Yep you got me curious now.

I have a stock cassette with the premium sound in my 80 that still works as intended. Looking at the diagrams the premium sound amplifiers were a little different from 80 to 83 etc. The amp pull button only really boosts/turns on the rear speakers from what I remember.

The wiring diagram for the 80 stock amplified premium setup looks like it is separate pos/neg wires for the rears and fronts stay common ground so its kind of a messy system to interface with lol.

That being said I don't see why you couldn't use a 4way line out converter (isolation transformer type) and just common ground the input negatives back to case of the head unit. With the isolation transformer type LOC you should have eliminated any ground differences between systems this way.

However I do not profess to be an expert on this and I would hate to have you wreck your head unit or something on my suggestion without doing some research etc.

I run two systems in my car essentially. I left the original cassette and premium sound completely intact. A separate aftermarket amp under the passenger seat with a bluetooth input, additional rear speakers in boxes in the hatch. I use a relay to switch the front speakers (aftermarket as well) inputs from original to aftermarket.

This allows me to switch to the aftermarket system while retaining the original look and functionality of the original with a few hidden details.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    However I do not profess to be an expert on this and I would hate to have you wreck your head unit or something on my suggestion without doing some research etc.

Big facts right here for me. Please don't take my suggestions as sure-fire. Just because I'd be comfortable trying it - doesn't mean you should without a grain of salt.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

What do I have to loose! Thanks for your input.

Yep very true.

I read up that 8 track player was available option until 82 in various Fords. Curious...is that Audiovox unit an aftermarket player ?