I have two air cleaners that I would like to restore. I'm thinking of having them powder coated, as the powder coat looks to be a more durable finish than paint, and there are the two metal clips at the back of the air cleaner, one that holds the air temp sensor in and the other holds the air cleaner breather filter housing in that would probably scratch up the paint finish when they were being installed.

My question really revolves around the 2 vacuum valves in the snorkels. I saw a prior posting on here from before where the poster was asking sort of the same question, but it never really got answered. The vacuum valves are held in place by two tabs. One slides under a metal tab in the snorkel, the other tab has an opening for a metal rivet that attaches it to the snorkel. The valves have a plastic covering that I doubt would survive the powder coating, and the valves on the 2 air cleaners I have are in pretty rough shape anyhow and should be replaced.

Once everything is powder coated and I go to install the new vacuum valves, what is the best way to attach the valve where it was riveted? It looks like a solid rivet, but I don't think you would be able to get a rivet gun in the snorkel far enough, or would have enough height to press down on the rivet. I tried looking for a smooth head screw to use, but couldn't find anything. I tried an internet search for ideas, but there isn't a whole lot of info out there on this. I did see where someone used screws mounted with the screw heads inside the snorkel and the nuts on the outside. Did not look good.

Here is a picture of the snorkel (a new one, in much better shape than mine). I know the rivets from the factory were a natural finish...

Name:  Mustang snorkel 1.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  98.5 KB

My other question (really more an observation). There seems to be a plastic piece at the front of the air cleaner housing at the bottom that is riveted in place with two rivets. Not sure what it's purpose is, but I'm guessing that the rivets will have to be drilled out and the piece removed, as it, like the vacuum valves, would not survive the powder coating...

Name:  Air Cleaner 1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  128.8 KB