Close

Default Air Cleaner Restoration

I have two air cleaners that I would like to restore. I'm thinking of having them powder coated, as the powder coat looks to be a more durable finish than paint, and there are the two metal clips at the back of the air cleaner, one that holds the air temp sensor in and the other holds the air cleaner breather filter housing in that would probably scratch up the paint finish when they were being installed.

My question really revolves around the 2 vacuum valves in the snorkels. I saw a prior posting on here from before where the poster was asking sort of the same question, but it never really got answered. The vacuum valves are held in place by two tabs. One slides under a metal tab in the snorkel, the other tab has an opening for a metal rivet that attaches it to the snorkel. The valves have a plastic covering that I doubt would survive the powder coating, and the valves on the 2 air cleaners I have are in pretty rough shape anyhow and should be replaced.

Once everything is powder coated and I go to install the new vacuum valves, what is the best way to attach the valve where it was riveted? It looks like a solid rivet, but I don't think you would be able to get a rivet gun in the snorkel far enough, or would have enough height to press down on the rivet. I tried looking for a smooth head screw to use, but couldn't find anything. I tried an internet search for ideas, but there isn't a whole lot of info out there on this. I did see where someone used screws mounted with the screw heads inside the snorkel and the nuts on the outside. Did not look good.

Here is a picture of the snorkel (a new one, in much better shape than mine). I know the rivets from the factory were a natural finish...

Name:  Mustang snorkel 1.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  98.5 KB

My other question (really more an observation). There seems to be a plastic piece at the front of the air cleaner housing at the bottom that is riveted in place with two rivets. Not sure what it's purpose is, but I'm guessing that the rivets will have to be drilled out and the piece removed, as it, like the vacuum valves, would not survive the powder coating...

Name:  Air Cleaner 1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  128.8 KB
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Just a thought; you could use a stainless button-head Allen screw with the nut/lock washer on the inside of the snorkel.

That piece on the forward part of the base is rubber. Not sure exactly what it’s for. I left mine in place when I painted. Was worried I’d destroy it if removed.

Good luck
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

I also wondered what the plastic piece was for on the front of the air cleaner. Being directly above the distributer cap I think it is to prevent any arcing or shorting from the plug wires to the bottom of the air cleaner.

What year is that air cleaner from? My 85 doesn't have that plastic/rubber piece on the front of it. That must be an earlier one.

And regarding the attaching of the vacuum valves to the snorkels, you could just pop rivet them on from the outside. While it wouldn't be a solid rivet like comes from the factory, at least it would be in the rivet "family"...... it'd be a little closer to original than a nut and bolt arrangement. Although that button-head allen screw idea doesn't sound like it would look bad.

Eventually I'm going to repaint my air cleaner and snorkels, but haven't yet decided if I'm going to remove the vacuum valves when I do it. Cross that bridge in the not-too-near future.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

It's an 85 air cleaner. It only has the one air temp sensor along the outer ring and the crankcase filter, whereas the 84 and earlier air cleaners had 2 sensors I believe. Where the second one used to be there is just a plastic plug. You can see the plug there to the left of the crankcase filter holder.

85GTGuy, not sure why yours wouldn't have the plastic piece at the front of it. I have two 85 spare air cleaners and both have them. Can you take a picture of yours and post it here?

That sounds like a plausible explanation for the plastic (rubber?) piece 0F0 CBR, to prevent arcing off the distributor.

I figure if I am going to restore the air cleaner, I might as well get as many new parts as I can to use in the restoration. Not all are available anymore, but I should be able to scrounge up most. The vacuum controls are pretty wasted on the one I have which is the reason I want to replace those.

85 Mustang GT

If there is a difference, maybe that went along with the early 5.0 Engines that were the early in the 1985 run that also had the steel clutch fan...IDK
    I had an early 85GT years ago (decades ago actually...) and remember my friend had an 85 and I was surprised they were slightly different. Not sure about the air cleaner tho, just dont remember..
    Last edited by scenarioL113; 03-10-2023 at 11:31 AM.
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    ..... 85GTGuy, not sure why yours wouldn't have the plastic piece at the front of it. I have two 85 spare air cleaners and both have them. Can you take a picture of yours and post it here?
    Yes, I can. I'll try to get it posted within the next few days.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by scenarioL113 View Post
    If there is a difference, maybe that went along with the early 5.0 Engines that were the early in the 1985 run that also had the steel clutch fan...IDK
    I had an early 85GT years ago (decades ago actually...) and remember my friend had an 85 and I was surprised they were slightly different. Not sure about the air cleaner tho, just dont remember..
    I have an early '85 and I believe the air cleaner housing to be original. It does not have that plastic deal on it.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    85GTGuy, not sure why yours wouldn't have the plastic piece at the front of it. I have two 85 spare air cleaners and both have them. Can you take a picture of yours and post it here?
    Well, I was dead wrong on this. I apologize.

I went to take a pic of it, and I was very surprised to see that it does have the plastic piece across the front. I didn't recall it having it, and made a bad assumption that it didn't. So now the question is, what is up with qikgts' air cleaner (since it doesn't have it)?

FEP Supporter

Ok... I have to be honest. I'm working from memory as my car and I aren't in the same area code right now.

I'll try to get someone to forward me a pic of it.

If I'm wrong I'll admit it too. More importantly, no need to spread bad info around... lol
    Last edited by qikgts; 04-28-2023 at 09:38 PM.
    '85 GT

Just wanted to update where I'm at with the air cleaner restoration, since I started this post.

One day I was doing something on the internet, and I came across this website...

https://musclecaraircleaners.com/

I wasn't specifically looking for this, but just found it happenstance. As I seem to be very busy in life (getting older, daughter and grandson live with us, have a very full time job, taking care of the house, etc etc), and did not think I was going to be able to do the restoration like I wanted it to be done, I e-mailed them and asked if they would do the restoration on my air cleaner. Not a day later I got an e-mail back from Niels Jensen at musclecaraircleaners.com, who said that yes, he would do the restoration on the air cleaner. I was surprised actually since many muscle car websites don't want to have anything to do with 80's muscle cars. After a couple of e-mails back and forth with Niels, sending him some pics of my air cleaner and getting to the point where I felt comfortable with what he was saying that he would do (based on what I was looking for)...

• Replacement of the vacuum pods on the ends of the snorkel - with solid head rivet - should be no problem
    • Removal of plastic shield, cleaning, then reinstalled after the base is completed - should also be no concern.
    • Paint and finish of the base - the exterior would be semi-gloss Ford engine black (to match the factory); inside would be glass beaded, then engine cleared to minimize future oxidation
    • Lid - we can glass bead the lid, then set on a lathe/turntable to work the engrained circles back to the top; all depends on how deep any pitting is in the lid ridge on top; the final high heat clear has proven to be good (again, heat cycles and vibration contact will always create appearance issues once installed)
    • Decals - your preference can be added - they are available
    • Your base is missing the air temperature sensor in the middle near the flange (include it so we can install it correctly with the push pins after final finish)
    • Include all of the filters/breathers for the unit as we can clean them too

I went ahead and sent him the air cleaner. I took the snorkels off, took out the old air temp sensor that was mounted in the base of the air cleaner, provided him a new air temp sensor as well as new snorkel vacuum valves. I had a lid from an 83 that I got from someone pretty cheap, which I scraped the old decal off using copious amounts of goo gone, and sent the air cleaner and lid it on their way. It took him about a week to a week and a half, and the results are pretty amazing. It truly looks like a new air cleaner. I imagine anyone with any time on their hands could do the same job, but I don't have that kind of time, and it was nice to let him take care of it. I'm pretty obsessive compulsive, so for me to be impressed with the final product is saying something.

Here are some before pictures...

Name:  IMG_0706.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0710.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0712.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB
    Last edited by tbirdman; 10-28-2023 at 01:36 PM.

85 Mustang GT

And here are the after pictures...

Name:  IMG_1091.jpg
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1093.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1094.jpg
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1095.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1092.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB

85 Mustang GT

I honestly don't think that it can get any better than that.

As far as a price goes, it was pretty reasonable. He bases his cost on the condition of the air cleaner that your sending so I don't want to quote a price, but let's just say mine was in the $300 range (not including the price of the new air temp sensor and vacuum valves, which I supplied).

Send him an e-mail if you want, I think you'll be happy with his work.

85 Mustang GT

Forgot to include an after picture of the snorkels...

Name:  IMG_1096.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  69.3 KB

85 Mustang GT

FEP Supporter

Fantastic results! Thanks for passing along a trustworthy vendor!
    '85 GT

FEP Supporter

That great there are companies out there that even entertain anything like this type of work.

Sweet results for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Looks nice!

That came out great tbirdman. Thanks for the heads up, and stamp of approval of a restoration resource.