Close

FEP Member

Default 1983 Mustang Rear Drums-Wheel Weights

I have a a question that I have been wondering about about my rear break drums. One drum has factory weights on it and one doesn't. Is there a specific side they should be on? I have an intermitted vibration and was wondering this was the cause of it.
    The one drum with out weights has the part numbers D9ZC-1126-AA and numbers G141 2 and 18N
    The one drum with weights has the part numbers D9ZC-1126-AA and numbers E25 and 17N.
    Any ideas, let me know!!

83Steaman
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 83-Steaman; 03-08-2023 at 03:13 AM.

7.5" correct? Does your rear end still have the vibration weight hanging beneath the center of it?? Been told they make a difference....

Has it always been like this? By intermittent do you mean comes and goes or is it at a specific speed? Bad u joints can cause that.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP Member

Yes. It has the vibration weight on it and its a 7.5 I got the driveshaft checked last summer and all was good. Is intermitted and not at a specific speed.
    Last edited by 83-Steaman; 03-05-2023 at 12:42 AM.

Have you had your tires balanced or checked? How old are your tires?
    As said above, how are your u joints?
    4 or 5 speed? Have you checked your rear bushing?
    Last edited by Bentley; 03-05-2023 at 07:40 AM.

Does it track with engine rpm? That could feel intermittent as you run through gears.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP Member

I added pics of my brake drums. Are there specific sides they go on? Is it common to have weights on them? Looking for a bit more info.

FEP Member

I don't notice as I go through the gears.
    I've had my car since the very early 90's. I would drive it all summer and it steered like an arrow. No issues.
    One spring, I got some tranny work down and clutch replaced and that's when I started to have issues. Vibrations at higher speeds. Balanced drive shaft ant took out 80% of the issues. But not perfect.
    Then one summer, I got my front end rebuilt. Control arms, rack & pinion and springs. Slight vibration from the wheel/ sometimes from the seat. I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. Then life changed and now it sits more and more.
    I've changed motor and tranny mounts and also balanced my tires in the last couple years. I've had it on a hoist at a local tranny shop and they couldn't find and issues.
    My plan this summer is to drive and try to figure it out.
    I was thinking of changing balancer since its original and change rack bushing (Still original)
    Thanks for listening!!

83-Steaman

IIRC those weights are just for drum balance and not side specific on the car. If the drums have been machined imperfectly perhaps that could throw it slightly off? But if it did it would not be intermittent - it would be more and more pronounced as ground speed increased.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

So you say the problem started after a new clutch? Did you also get a new flywheel.....
    I would start here......Take apart and get the clutch assembly and the flywheel checked...
    IF a new flywheel, was it replaced with the correct 50oz,28oz or NO weight???????

First place to look is the last place you dinked with....

Nevermind .

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"