I was wondering how Ford dealt with mistakes on the assembly line?

I just bought an 85.5 SVO (this is my 2nd SVO and my 4th Fox Body) and I found some suspicious minor repair on the front where the hood prop mounts. There is a "lip" along that edge and there are a few spot welds that hold 3 sections of the factory sheet metal together. This is a low mile well kept car with no rust and in excellent condition. It is white and it is super clean in the engine compartment and all visible sheetmetal is easlily inspected. Every factory spotweld is present and accounted for. I am trying to reach out to the orginal owner but have not had success yet. The entire car looks to have 45K miles and the paint matches that in the sense that it has expected chips and imperfections from driving it. It sat in the garage for 20 yrs until 9/2022 and I bought it recently.

Two of these spot welds (which is more like a double-tap of the spot welder) missed their mark by about 3/8" and are only spot welded to a single layer instead of the 3. I compared the area to my 86 SVO and this was 100% some kind of miss at the factory. The lip was slightly bent up and you can see on the inside that there are a few small weld beads (I think it is weld unless it is some kind of resin or seam sealer) that were put there to make up for the missed spot weld.

This was either an assembly line mistake (which I tend to think is NOT the case) or it is some kind of repair that may have been found or from some kind of possible accident or something. If it was from some damage then it is very strange that all of the spot welds surrounding it would prob not be spot welded...This repair is in an easy area to re spot weld....again baffling to me. There are lots and lots of harnesses, bolts, plastic, grommets, plugs, wires, more parts, more spot welds, lots and lots and lots of things that are all 100% good so this one thing is just making me wonder wtf??? Not a single bit of overspray or anything in the engine compartment at all.

I have looked this car over for hours and hours and this is baffling bc it is something i have never seen before. These 3 layers of sheet metal are parts of much larger sections that are spot welded all over the place and otherwise in perfect condition. Each of them have stamped codes on them. WIth all that said, I do think that there has been some paint work on the car but only a few small areas and again I am no body guy but overall the car is excellent. I do think that most of the car is original paint if not all. I have to bring to a body shop anyway and gonna ask their opinion. The transporter (enclosed trailer) nudged the charcoal paint on the rear bumper molding area a tad.

The hood prop has inconsistent white paint on it (like half was painted and half not as if it was laying down when painted). A small section on front d/s fender is a little less smooth than rest of fender. Just under the sail panel has the same lack of smoothness in a 6"x 12" section and a minor drip under the sail that is out of view. I found one very minor overspray on the d/s rear tail light....I guess that all sounds like a lot but honestly I had to really spend hours to find this. I did not pay top dollar and I am not mad, I did look at the car before I bought it. This is an excellent example and if there were repairs and paint work it was done good, especially since it would have been done 20 plus yrs ago.

In the pic the
"red" circles are the location of the missed spotwelds
"green" cirlces are where the spotwelds should have been
"purple" arrows just show the sections that are spot welded together

Anyway, what are your thoughts

Name:  spot welds.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  116.2 KB