Close

FEP Power Member

Default Your suggestions

Scenario - bone stock 84 GT 5sp. - has short throw.

What would you do to get it to run in the 13's or low 14's?
    Nitrous is not an option (I am not a fan of nitrous)

I am working on a few things now, so I will let the cat out of the bag.

95 5.0L Heads, milled .030, emissions hump cut out, possibly gasket matched to a set of shorty, unequal headers (to be determined)

3.73 gears (has 7.5" rear end)

Cam / lifters- to be determined (something mild, revs 2500-5500 or so)

Possibly an H-pipe (car has Dynomax cat back and factory four cats now)

--unsure of getting an intake
    --working to get Nitto 555R for the rear (either 225 or 245). Have 10 holes now, may be getting pony's..

This is to be a budget build up. What would you suggest (headers, cam, intake, etc.) or what would you change?

What will it take to get to the low 14, high 13's?

Also, what are the tranny ratios for the 84's? I heard they were different?!?!?!

Thanks!
    Kevin

A set of ported stock E-7's, decent cam and inatke, gears 73' or even 4.10's and the DR's, and 13 should be no problem. Built a 90Gt for a guy with ported E-7's with good springs, Wolverine 1087 cam, BBK long tubes, ported stock intake, 24# injectors, 70mm TB with 3.27 gears and the car ran in the 8.40's & 50's in the 1/8 mile. That is good for some mid 13's....
    Mike

jazzcat2001

8.8 rear end 4.10s and do suspension work...get some 90/10s up front yank the front sway bar and put 4 cyl springs in...get yourself some ported e7s and a E cam(although if you want an x cam i know of one for sale) focus mostly on suspension upgrades if 13s or 14s are all you want...dont go crazy on motor if you dont want to go crazy with the et's...weight save the car too...

Mike Croke

Focus on traction. Unless you can get the 60' times under 2.0 seconds, you're going to have to spend more money making more power. I cannot over emphasize that practice and driving technique will affect the times you get.

Start with tires. The Nitto will work well as I've gotten 1.7x on 275/40/17 and a friend used to get 1.7 on 245/50/16. If you want low ET, don't worry about power until you can effectively use what you already have.

Gears are great but don't put them into the 7.5 rear. You'll break that 7.5 very soon, especally once you get tires that bite. Scrounge up an 8.8 possibly with gears already in it. Get the cheap rebuild kit for the Traction-Lok. The only difference in cost is the 8.8 because the gears and installation are the same for both rear ends. You can swap your current axle shafts and drum brakes to the 8.8 rear if you need to.

The exhaust you have now is a huge improvement but a set of the Flowtech long tubes (~$100 from Summit) and a matching h-pipe will gain another 20-30hp over stock shorty headers ('85-up) and factory cat pipe.

Find a used Edelbrock Performer and bolt it on. They're usually about $75 and you'll gain power throughout the rpm range.

That stuff ought to get you into 13s with some practice.

FEP Senior Member

And another thing, don't be afraid to rev that engine! the guys you see running low 13 second times in almost completely stock 5.0s are the guys who aren't afraid to launch at 5000k+ RPMs. What I would try is gears, slicks, and exhaust.

FEP Power Member

5,000,000 RPM????????? Just kidding...

I do not want to sacrifice all suspension just for the quarter... Friends cars are like that and they SUCK on the street... IMO.... I would rather build a little more power and "upgrade" the stock motor. In terms of Cam Selection, I do not have a roller car, therefore, no roller cams... I have a cam picked out, along with headers, intake, E7 heads (as mentioned), and a carb rebuild...

In terms of the 7.5" rear, I am sure it will give eventually. Most people break those launching high RPM on slicks... this is not my plan. I will launch it as I see fit. I have raced before, and practice is always key. Unfortunately, it is winter here and the tracks aren't open... And I don't fool around on the street... The reason I am doing gears in this rear end is due to the cost associated... NEXT TO NOTHING! Getting an 8.8" redone, gears, etc. is a lot more than I want to spend right now, since I have had the car for two weeks and am charting my plan for it's future.

165HP is stock on this car... Using that power is joke.. My SABLE has more HP than that... Another reason for build.

In terms of exhaust, I am running shorty headers for several reasons. First and foremost, I am getting an H-pipe for the same cost as the gears (see above). With the H-pipe and shorty headers, I can still run the aftermarket cat-back and not have to spend more money on an H-pipe designed for long tubes...

Lastly, I do want the car to go faster than high 13's. BUT, I want to hit thirteen's this season... This is the final reasoning behind the build going into it now. Over next winter, there may be some new toys in store.. which would only add to what has already been done......

Have pics of the ****mobile and will post them soon....

Kevin

FEP Senior Member

Typo

5k+ RPMs

A guy in a local Mustang club with an 92 Mustang LX notch ran a 12.9 with his stock motored car. 4.10 Gears, exhaust, slicks, and an airbag in one of hte rear shocks, fogot which one. Motor and tranny was stock, ever had the stock clutch in it still. Launched around 5800 if I remember right. To run fast with what you have, it's all about practice.

Of course this isn't an 84 Mustang but still, it should give you an idea of what people mean by getting the most out of what you have that you can.

FEP Power Member

And I understand that.. I used to race a 91' coupe and many, many friends have Mustangs (12 and 11 second cars with Nitrous a/o blowers). Believe me, if it wasn't going to be a budget build up, I would do things a lot different.. But, when I can get E7 heads, gears, and an H-pipe for less than $100, why shouldn't I go this route? But, I see the headache they go through with FI and breaking **** from 6000RPM launches.

Kevin

FEP Senior Member

That's definately a good idea then if you can get it all done for cheap

FEP Power Member

look in the new FRPP catalog, they brought back the NEW 8.8 rear end with 3.73's for $795 deal.....
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

And just FYI, '83 and '84 were rated at 175 HP and that was with the stock, single exhaust system, not dual exhaust that you have now.

I got 200 HP out of my '83 with nothing but a stock rebuild (302), a mild cam (FMS A312), and dual exhaust, including 1½" long tubes, cats, and dumps. Stock intake. Stock carburetor. Stock heads (D8OE).

All that with stock gears (3.08), stock suspension, factory (Pony) wheels and tires, full interior, and crappy driving netted 15.013 @ 93.95 at Bristol, TN (1700' above sea level). That trap speed says 14.50s. MY short times said 15.0-15.4.

If you're shooting for low 14s, you should almost be there, as is. These cars only weigh 3000 lbs. (Mine weighed 2960 then - 3160 w/ me and fuel.)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Mike Croke

Quote Originally Posted by BetterDays
    In terms of the 7.5" rear, I am sure it will give eventually. Most people break those launching high RPM on slicks... this is not my plan. I will launch it as I see fit. I have raced before, and practice is always key... The reason I am doing gears in this rear end is due to the cost associated... NEXT TO NOTHING! Getting an 8.8" redone, gears, etc. is a lot more than I want to spend right now, since I have had the car for two weeks and am charting my plan for it's future.
    Skye broke her 7.5 on the street just driving. No sticky tires, no hard launches. Those rear break. You may be on a budget, but that's something you're going to buy twice in a short time period.

165HP is stock on this car... Using that power is joke.. My SABLE has more HP than that... Another reason for build.
    Perhaps, but look at the shape of the power band. That's why all those ricers with 165hp run 16 sec ETs and your 165hp runs 15s. Its all about the area under the torque curve. Peak power is a nice number but has little to do with making the car quick.

In terms of exhaust, I am running shorty headers for several reasons. First and foremost, I am getting an H-pipe for the same cost as the gears (see above). With the H-pipe and shorty headers, I can still run the aftermarket cat-back and not have to spend more money on an H-pipe designed for long tubes...
    This a cheap power gain. For $200 you can get 20-30hp by doing the long tubes and matching short h-pipe. You won't get that kind of power from any other mod you're planning.

But it sounds like your mind is already made up and you just wanted approval.

FEP Power Member

I guess I should has explained a little more about "staged" plans. Yes, some of the motor stuff is first. Since it is torn down to replace the heads, I may as well replace the cam, lifters, headers, timing chain, alternator (new 140A), and intake. Replacing the intake allows me to clean up some of the vacuum BS. The cam will be rebuilt, as there is a choke issue with it. When it comes time to replace, Holley Double Pumper - maybe 750....

In terms of the gears and exhaust, that is cheap stuff being thrown my way... When I do the 8.8 conversion, I am going 5 Lug, 31 spline, with a better gear (4.10 or 4.30). Looking at a few things on that as well, where I can do things essentially once (without breakage).

Many of the things that I want to do are based on the motor being torn down and the rear end seeming to be strong. I may nix the DR idea and use street tires.. Even a 2.1 60' with low 14's would be a good start. Realizing that anything can break at any time, I may not launch as hard as originally planned. But, it will be fun to get back into racing a 5 speed car.

I guess I was looking for suggestions on which intake, cam, etc., but have since found them as well...

I am going to post pics of a friend's car, since mine may be installed in a similar manner.

Time to hit the sack - 23 hours in the garage this weekend made for a tiring Monday! And next weekend is the same... except that it is putting a 5.0 back together with a buddy!

Later All!
    Kevin