Close

Default 1986 MUSTANG GT 10 Holes

I'm looking to restore my wheels but I want to make sure that the inside of the holes and groove remain rough. I had sets done in the past and they painted the holes and groove and cleared over everything. Are there any companies that refinish the wheels and leave it as original?

Thanks!!

I got 175 dollars for two sets of ten holes at the local scrap yard a couple months ago... One set was mint.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I did keep the original trx wheels that came with my car though so I understand the need to keep it original. To a point.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP Power Member

Wheel collision Center in Bath, PA will do as requested. I have all my wheels cleared front and back. They are located not far from Allentown Airport.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Hi Kevin

Do you have them paint/clear the holes and groove? I would like to leave them rough.

FEP Power Member

I personally had them do all surfaces.
    Svo wheels, clear front and back
    84 GT wheels clear front and back, charcoal inserts and back
    89 10 holes clear front and back including textured areas, easy to clean
    87 10 holes clear front and back including textured areas, easy to clean
    02 gmc Sonoma wheels, clear front and back, charcoal inserts

The set I had refinished a few years ago they machined the face, painted the textured areas and cleared over everything. It made all the textured areas smooth. Is there away to not paint the textured areas? Sorry for all the questions. I spoke with Wheel Collision Center yesterday and they said that they usually paint everything silver as well. Just wanted to confirm this is the way they did it for you. Thank you for all the info!

FEP Power Member

Yes, what they usually do is to just knock them out and hopefully what they do will look good. You need to specify exactly what you want and see it in writing. They just do too many wheels to be perfect. My svo wheels were factory bare in the cutouts and backside. I paid extra to have the back cleared. The second 2 wheels came back bare. Since it was in writing, they had to redo them.

Keep in mind, most people don't have a clue how wheels should look and complain about the bare unpainted cut outs. Lol.

It's a small shop. If you get a guy when you call, he is the expert. He was a little short with me until he realized I knew what I was talking about. My experience with similar shops in CA has been horrible. I gave up after 3 bad experiences in CA.