Close

Default Removing dash ash tray from a 83

My dash is out, repainted and ready to reinstall.... Looking at some of the smaller plastic items to clean and paint and I would like to leave out the ashtray and its plastic housing that screws onto the bottom of the dash, under the radio.....
    Its a no console, manual car.... Anyone done this and does it look OK????
    thanks

I think it might show the hole, might want to figure a way to cover the space with a piece of painted plastic? I do not remember what my 81 looked like when I first removed the tray.
    Back in the 80's the big thing was an amp/graphic equalizer hanging under your dash with it's pretty lights flashing to the beat. So I removed my ash tray under the dash of my 81 notch and had one of those in it's place. Looked great and I thought I was the bomb.....LOL

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Looks like assy removes clean, since it hangs below the dash like a simple factory add on.
    Would be a convienent location for power charging outlets or gauges.

Removed the ashtray assy in my Ranger. That dash has a ashtray assy in a low molded dash recess.
    Triple 2" gauges fit in there perfectly. Gauge mounting bracket was just right and covered the 'hole'.
    Now have a console cupholder ashtray instead. gutted the console 25¢ coinholder hole to install a lighter.
    Changes worked out fine.
    Extra gauges in a primo location are much more important than parking messy butts there.

Great info here guys thanks
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.