Close

Default 79-84 Body Molding Question

I've been out of the mustang game for a while. I'm going to sell a set of unused NOS body moldings. Its a complete set with a NOS ford rear bumber cover as well. The only problem is that the moldings are different colors. Some red, some orange, some white, but it is a complete unused set with the bumper cover.

What do you guys think this is worth? I know they are made reproduction now, but the quality isn't there.

Not sure how to answer the question but may be interested. Some pictures would be helpful to understand the color differences described. I think that this references the pin striping color in the center of the moldings. Is this correct?

What part of the country are you located in?

I am in a similar situation as I purchased different OEM molding pieces over the years when available. Very few match in regards to the colored pin stripes. IMHO, value wise they should be worth as much if not more than the reproductions when discussing a sale to someone that is trying to keep an original car "original" Doesn't mean they are worth gold by any standards, but they definitely aren't worth less than the reproduction pieces at this point in time. More than likely you might find that selling the pieces individually will be easier and quicker than trying to sell the entire set at once. Obviously if one person needs a full set of moldings and you can work out a deal, then that is great for the both of you. More likely will be the vehicle that has one or two moldings that are curling, damaged, etc. that need replacing and the owner wants original moldings that match "perfectly" or as well as can be expected of 1980's Ford quailty rather than the aftermarket parts that are good, but maybe not GREAT! The pinstripe colors can be painted over fairly easily for those that are willing and able, but I am sure having the original pinstripe color is always preferred. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Well, to the right person, I would think they would be pretty valuable. The problem there is finding that "right person". The reproduction moldings alone are $385 at LMR. The color stripes in yours can be fixed by the buyer so they all match. I'm pretty sure that tape is available.

Personally, I have no need for them, but being the type that values the quality of oem/nos parts over the aftermarket, and taking into account what the repops cost, they would easily be worth $500 to me.

Like Trey said though, you may find it easier to sell them individually. But once you sell one of them, you've lost that "complete set" value.

Also, seems that rear bumper cover would be of value to someone too.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)