Close

Default 1985 2.5 with a TFI-IV style distributor help??

Bought my first Capri! Its a 1985 with a 2.3 and 4 speed manual.

Supposedly it did not have spark, however after cleaning up some ground wires and such I got spark. However... no matter how much I move the distributor it still acts as if the timing is way advanced. So here is my question - if it has the TFI-IV type distributor, it should have a crankshaft position sensor? Right? Im not seeing any evidence of a crank sensor or any sensor which the ECC-IV computer can produce a timing reference for that spark?

It has the feedback style carb with all the whizbang solenoids and such.

Tfi doesn't use a crank sensor. It's all internal. To time it you need to disconnect the spout connector. It will be an odd little wire coming off the tfi module.

I should mention that I am assuming the tfi on your 2.3 is the same basic beast as the 5.0 tfi.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Ok. Thank you. I've had conflicting info. Some say there is a crank sensor (probably for the MPFI) and others that say differently. I'll try to yank the wire and time it that way.

Well... after more research Im finding the carb solenoid is just dumping fuel, the timing is just randomly advancing after a few cranks. I'm thinking of changing out the carb and distributor and going old school?

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Torpedo View Post
    Well... after more research Im finding the carb solenoid is just dumping fuel, the timing is just randomly advancing after a few cranks. I'm thinking of changing out the carb and distributor and going old school?
    Sounds like your best bet (unless you have visual for inspection).

On 5.0's, there is different distributor gears for roller or non roller cams. Not sure if anything
    like that applies that to 2.3's, but typically the Duraspark distr, had different cam gear than TFI one's.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I wouldn't say 'random' just yet. On my car the idle is actually set by the TFI so I wouldn't doubt some of the same magic might be happening with your car. That spout connector 'disables' that advance mechanism on the 5.0.

Are you sure it is a carb? What is the carb soleniod you are referring to?
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I've had to rebuild that goofy YFA carb 3 times and had to move the TFI to the inner fender to keep mine running.
    Someday soon I'm ditching that stupid Carter YFA feedback carb with TFI on my 85 2.3 and going to a simple stock Duraspark ignition with 2bl carb.
    That is unless I find a good deal on a 5.0 swap.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Ahh. Yeah, what a strange time for the 2.3. I think I would probably turbo it myself. Probably end up costing the same.

No crank position sensors. TFi use the distributor as the crank position sensor.

The fuel solenoid on the side. The feedback carbs do not have a needle and seat (from what I've read) so the solenoid opens and closed the fuel. Mine is just dumping gas. Plan now is to isolate the carb, static set the timimg and then see if I can get it to run. It hasn't been on the road for 7 years according to the tabs. If the motor is healthy I'm going to convert it over to a simpler time fuel and spark system.

Yeah, I wonder if you can just use a good old aftermarket Holley on there? Tfi is a great system but if there is a computer involved it may not want to play well without the fancy(?) Carb it came with. No idea how these two worked together.

I've been thinking of getting this and use Duraspark......
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/36149382976...Bk9SR6ad8O_GYQ

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

I had that exact model on my Opel GT back in the 90s. Excellent carb. Never a problem with it. ever. Just worked for the 12 years I drove the car.

Far as i know, crank sensors on a 2.3 OHC came about late 80's when engine went to dual plug and no dis.
    My 93 Ranger 2.3 EFI has one. Later mid-late 90's they added a cam sensor too i think.
    As a long time DIY owner of both a carb and EFI 2.3, studied and learned about the basic major differences.

The kit looks like it would work. Did similar on my 70 VW bug. One bbl Solex to 2bbl Holley/Weber.
    Keep the old intake manifold. May need to transfer parts from it.
    Like: A large square coolant plate with outlets. Under the carb, opposite end of engine side.
    Different design n/a manifolds have, and turbo intakes do not. Cobble extra plumbing.
    Or use a propane 2.3 intake manifold to cyl head gasket. Blocks the coolant passage to intake at the cyl head.

Never heard of Ford doing the 5.0 gear material thing on OHC 2.3's.
    They did change the timing belt cog and sprockets shape from round to square tooth sometime back then.
    Kind of same situation in that, if not aware of the change, damage can result with similar looking but incorrect parts.

Thinking today I might have a 2 barrel intake off a 80 Mustang 2.3 in storage(?). I can just get a new carb/ignition.

BTW when I bought my 85 2.3 in 2009 it had sat for 2 years and the PO said the carb was shot from sitting.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I've been thinking of getting this and use Duraspark......
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/36149382976...Bk9SR6ad8O_GYQ

Chinese manifold? Any reviews on it's fit?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Chinese manifold? Any reviews on it's fit?
    I looked for a review but only found another set for sale....a little less in price than the Bay.
    https://www.carburetion.com/Products...x?part=K466-38

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....