Close

Default Vinyl or cloth headliner for a t-top

Hey all, what would you recommend for a t-top for headliner material. Was originally going to go black cloth as my seats are cloth but now I’m second guessing as original headliner was vinyl and vinyl is easier to keep clean and hides water marks if t-tops leak a little. Opinions?

Do I need a foam backing or a layer of foam on backing board first? Would black vinyl look alright with black cloth corbeau seats?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

My headliner was vinyl originally. Always thought that it looked cheap. I have been looking at a charcoal cloth with foam impregnated. The headliner will installed last for me. Once I have the interior resprayed in Charcoal I will make my headliner colour decision.

Quote Originally Posted by machinedoc View Post
    My headliner was vinyl originally. Always thought that it looked cheap. I have been looking at a charcoal cloth with foam impregnated. The headliner will installed last for me. Once I have the interior resprayed in Charcoal I will make my headliner colour decision.
    Thanks, ya I’m of the same opinion in that it looks cheap but I’m having a hard time finding a nice black cloth headliner with foam on it. There are some options on Amazon but they are black suede and almost 80 bucks for what I would need lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Got mine from a local fabric chain store. Black polyester cloth, thin foam backing. Desc as headliner, 20.00 per yard.
    Is like a microfiber suede. Wipe to clean. Most desc. say foam is 3/16 open cell. I like it a lot.
    Oe in the car was different but is same as newer headliners. The foam delaminates if wet like from a w/s leak.
    Another option is marine vinyl. Is thicker, heavier, no foam, costs 25.00. Did a card table top with it.
    Fabric itself is not expensive but shipping cost kills a lot of deals.