Close

Default 84 T-top headliner help

Been putting off doing the headliner on my car because like an idiot I accidentally threw out my original backing board. Still can’t believe I did that and I still check for it around the house thinking I stashed it somewhere. I had intentions of making a new one so the fact that it’s gone make me furious lol. Anyway, I managed to score a backing board that’s either an original t-top board or was cut from a full board but I’m not sure. Would anyone have a 84 or compatible Year board laying around that could give me some measurements to see if mine will fit? I also have a full headliner that I could cut but I’m unsure what year it’s from also. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Name:  B83BCA40-DB6B-43F2-B32D-8A668E781CF5.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  92.8 KB
    Name:  73165CFB-F6D8-4D03-AE1E-3333F170E04B.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  36.5 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I have mine laying in my room. Let me know what dimensions you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by machinedoc View Post
    I have mine laying in my room. Let me know what dimensions you are looking for.
    Awesome thanks, I’m not sure what the important ones are so I guess I will start with:

from center of map light to center of dome light
    width of center section
    overall length from front to back
    overall width of larger section behind seats as well as distance from driver To passenger side
    overall width of smaller section in front of seats as well as distance from driver to passenger side

I marked up my picture as best I could do give you an idea. Hope this helps and thanks again!
    Name:  2F23DCF2-8909-4989-8C3A-02EE28480DC3.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  96.9 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Ok I have taken some measurements for you. In referance to your order.
    1-22 1/8"
    2-6 9/16"
    3-40 3/4"
    4-L.S. and R.S. 13".........CTR. 14 1/16"....Overall left to right 43 3/8"
    5- width 4 1/2" .....Length 44 3/16"
    Hope this helps you out. If you need anymore just let me know.

Ok I have taken some measurements for you. In referance to your order.
    1-22 1/8"
    2-6 9/16"
    3-40 3/4"
    4-L.S. and R.S. 13".........CTR. 14 1/16"....Overall left to right 43 3/8"
    5- width 4 1/2" .....Length 44 3/16"
    Hope this helps you out. If you need anymore just let me know.
    Thanks so much!

For the most part I think mine matches your measurements. Number 1 and number 2 are almost bang on. Number 3 mine is a hair under 40 so roughly 3/4” short on overall length. Left and right of back part is 13 1/2 on both sides and over all is almost bang on. Width of front is close, drivers side is 4 1/2” and passenger is about 4 3/8” my overall though is only 43 1/2. So I’m guessing this was made from a full headliner at some point. So should I feel confident( dimension wise) making a new backing board out of the old one? I have access to full sheets of pressboard from my work. That leads to my next question for anyone that can answer. What thickness should I go with? I sheet is about a 1/16” thick and the other is a 1/8”. This stuff is pretty ridged though so I’m not sure which to go with. Do I want a little more flex so it conforms or a little more ridged?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Appears that your dimensions are close to mine. If I were to be able to post pictures here, you would see that the front is definitley wider than the rear.(used to be able to post pictures)
    In my factory headliner there are creases to form to the roof. My thoughts would be 1/16" as to contour to the roof.

Appears that your dimensions are close to mine. If I were to be able to post pictures here, you would see that the front is definitley wider than the rear.(used to be able to post pictures)
    In my factory headliner there are creases to form to the roof. My thoughts would be 1/16" as to contour to the roof.
    Weird that you can’t post pics. Anyway ya it’s funny about the width of the front because if you look on LMR at the aftermarket t-top headliners the front looks about as wide as mine compared to the back.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt