First time posting a thread, but as I go down this journey I’ll be sure to update of what works and what don’t. I have an 85 GT hatch, and it came with pony wheels that have seen better days, and the tires are splitting so I figured I would try one wheel before I go get tires and have to tape every thing off, A somewhat clean set in my area is anywhere between 6-800 bucks, of course I could buy new ones but what is the fun in that.
I did my research with colors and online help of course
So far:
First Never underestimate what someone has done in the past for paint on the wheels, the type of paint, primer etc, if you don’t know what’s there for sure, clean and scuff, spray little and check.
I started with the wheels, and it didn’t seem as if they had ever been touched up, did have some scratches though, mainly superficial, I sanded and used scratch filler primer until it was smooth with 400 grit sand paper, I used VHT which is actually a really good product and will lay nicely as long as it is prepped, I used VHT Ford argent silver, I got one wheel complete and sanded it again with 600 before clear. I also used VHT clear. I even did the plastic cap and just taped the tri-bar and horse, it actually came out beautifully, not a bumble, run, nothing. I let it sit in garage overnight and when I wheeled it out this morning to see in the sun that’s when I realized Ford argent silver is not even close to correct, much much darker. They just didnt look right at all. I do know now that there is 3 different argent silvers. So let the stripping begin, I knew I had used a self etching primer, scratch filler, then several coats of paint and clear. I just didn’t like the color. I’m stripping it back down to bare aluminum then I’ll do it again. I know some may say why not just sand and redo in the correct color, well there is at least a minimum the original Ford sealer, primer, paint then mine. Most online sources are out of the Chrysler argent or equivalent, even LMR is out of stock. I’ll call the Mopar dealer tomorrow to see if they have some.

i posted a picture of the VHT Ford argent silver to show the color issue

Name:  0FD7B2DE-766B-47D9-BBCD-A467396B9482.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  24.1 KB