Close

Default Pony wheel resto/clean up

First time posting a thread, but as I go down this journey I’ll be sure to update of what works and what don’t. I have an 85 GT hatch, and it came with pony wheels that have seen better days, and the tires are splitting so I figured I would try one wheel before I go get tires and have to tape every thing off, A somewhat clean set in my area is anywhere between 6-800 bucks, of course I could buy new ones but what is the fun in that.
    I did my research with colors and online help of course
    So far:
    First Never underestimate what someone has done in the past for paint on the wheels, the type of paint, primer etc, if you don’t know what’s there for sure, clean and scuff, spray little and check.
    I started with the wheels, and it didn’t seem as if they had ever been touched up, did have some scratches though, mainly superficial, I sanded and used scratch filler primer until it was smooth with 400 grit sand paper, I used VHT which is actually a really good product and will lay nicely as long as it is prepped, I used VHT Ford argent silver, I got one wheel complete and sanded it again with 600 before clear. I also used VHT clear. I even did the plastic cap and just taped the tri-bar and horse, it actually came out beautifully, not a bumble, run, nothing. I let it sit in garage overnight and when I wheeled it out this morning to see in the sun that’s when I realized Ford argent silver is not even close to correct, much much darker. They just didnt look right at all. I do know now that there is 3 different argent silvers. So let the stripping begin, I knew I had used a self etching primer, scratch filler, then several coats of paint and clear. I just didn’t like the color. I’m stripping it back down to bare aluminum then I’ll do it again. I know some may say why not just sand and redo in the correct color, well there is at least a minimum the original Ford sealer, primer, paint then mine. Most online sources are out of the Chrysler argent or equivalent, even LMR is out of stock. I’ll call the Mopar dealer tomorrow to see if they have some.

i posted a picture of the VHT Ford argent silver to show the color issue

Name:  0FD7B2DE-766B-47D9-BBCD-A467396B9482.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  24.1 KB

Default The raw part is almost done.

Just updating with pics along the way. I did take some harsh chemicals and lots of sanding but at least I only am doing this to two of the wheels, after doing this I may opt for the $150 for new caps unless I can find some rather clean ones around me. Name:  DD133EB7-82D5-4260-8C70-920D09EE507D.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  47.6 KBName:  FC801F2B-4C20-4359-9F11-12CD086C4CF9.jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  40.9 KB

I did this when I went through my 85 GT vert many years ago. I had the guy that painted the car shoot the white base and clear coat to match. However, what I did for the center caps was to remove the center pony...melted the attachments on the back from what I remember...then glued them back in place afterwards...

Name:  Mustang wheel.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  64.6 KB
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Senior Member

I'm not sure what color the pony wheels are supposed to be, but several years ago I took the wheels off of my '93 SuperCoupe and cleaned them up to replace the 15" wheels on my '97 T-Bird. The finish on the wheels was pretty rough, but the wheels themselves were in pretty good shape. It took a lot of paint stripper to break through the factory powder coat. I probably had 5 coats of primer on them. I used the Rustoleum silver wheel paint and I cannot tell the difference between that and the original silver powder coat that was on them. I used 5 coats of color and 3 coats of their clear wheel paint. It has held up shockingly well and that is on a car that is driven year round in this pit of hell called Michigan. It is a fair amount of labor (mostly stripping the old finish), but for the cost and durability you can't beat it.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I have thought about shooting them in white, but it limits to specific cars and people if I ever wanted to trade or sell them. I looked into the rust oleum paint but it and I’ve used it but doesn’t seem to cover well, VHT is pretty good stuff just has to be mixed really well. Primer with an actual paint gun helps a lot though.

This is the Biggest pain ever! Went to Napa to get the paint mixed, figured I would just shoot it with a gun vs rattle can. They can’t make it at all, gave them the PPG number, DuPont number the original DX number etc, PPG dealer has it but wants 180 for a pint no wonder the rattle can has a market right now. I am going to post all the paint codes since I’m sure others may be doing this in the future. Looks like I’ll be ordering the motorcraft rattle can paint from LMR as of right now.

Original Chrysler argent silver DX8555
    Dupont 9430/9430L/9430D
    PPG 33901 (not direct match but close)
    Rattle can:
    Krylon 1403 (not direct match but close)
    Motorcraft
    PM-19K207-AA ( rattle can)
    LMR kit (out of stock)
    SEM Bumper Coater 39283 Light Titanium Metallic (Very close)
    Last edited by mlowe6417; 01-30-2023 at 09:40 PM.

I’m considering doing my pony wheels black. If I do I will be getting them powder coated rather than trying to spray paint them myself. No matter how hard I try I can never seen to get spray cans perfect. Lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

So opinion question for y’all, I have the ability to get the wheels powder coated for the price of the powder, I have already found a set of cobra R replicas with tires, so looking at what would best for resale and a hookup for someone, What color would be the best to throw on the open market? They’ll powder coat what ever color I hand them, I thought about a pearl white due to it’s prob the easiest color to paint match the caps but they wouldn’t be original white ones. There is also the original argent silver color too.

Quote Originally Posted by mlowe6417 View Post
    So opinion question for y’all, I have the ability to get the wheels powder coated for the price of the powder, I have already found a set of cobra R replicas with tires, so looking at what would best for resale and a hookup for someone, What color would be the best to throw on the open market? They’ll powder coat what ever color I hand them, I thought about a pearl white due to it’s prob the easiest color to paint match the caps but they wouldn’t be original white ones. There is also the original argent silver color too.

imo for resale I would keep them chrome or silver. Seems to be most popular.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Have VHT Ford Argent Silver on the turbines no clear, no primer. Happy with the tone.
    Prior painted with Metallic Silver Metal flake. Is brighter than Argent.

Default VHT for argent

I used it, it sprays well, sand-able and looks great but it just way to dark, its more of the anthracite color.

FEP Member

For resale, factory color would be easier to sell.

Default This is what replaced the pony’s

Name:  F0F17160-EFE7-4B36-A9D9-BC4BFA287DAA.jpeg
Views: 119
Size:  81.8 KB

They fit, they did come off another stock foxbody though, whoever chose the offset got it perfect it seems, doesn’t rub the shock, has a solid 3/4 of an inch space, doesn’t rub inner fender well or stick out either, Wheel is 17x9 with a 285/40/17. I’ll prob step the tire down to a 275 though later down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Have VHT Ford Argent Silver on the turbines no clear, no primer. Happy with the tone.
    I'm going to pick up a set of Ponies tomorrow (pending FB Marketplace response)

Depending on how well they look and clean up in person, I may decide to sand and refinish them over the winter.

I am debating doing a charcoal color to match the rest of the trim, or sticking with silver. I'd be curious to see some more photos of folk's Ponies in here if you have any!
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-20-2023 at 11:30 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

For the record, the VHT pn i used is SP188.
    Can says high temp 250F wheel paint glossy poly coating 11oz spray.
    For steel, aluminum, plastic hub and center.
    Charcoal center and silver rim match good. No need for a chrome beauty trim ring.
    Eastwood carries different shades.
    Genuine Ford Argent paint prob is or was VHT.

Tentative plan is to shoot for Charcoal over the OEM silver. If I'm going through the trouble of sanding and spraying, may as well add my own little touch since it would drive me crazy trying to match the OEM finish perfectly as opposed to going with something else. If I can clean them up nice enough as-is - I'll leave them alone.

This looks like quality stuff with the color I'm looking for to match the hood decal and trim.
    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-2k...eel-paint.html

Very rough Photoshop of the idea:

Last edited by ITdude87; 11-20-2023 at 08:50 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Picked these up for a STEAL yesterday - $120

The factory paint is a little faded/stained in a few spots, and they are missing a few center caps...but I couldn't say no. Still up in the air on whether I'll go Charcoal or keep them silver. My mind changes by the day.

Has anyone used the LMR Pony Wheel paint (Argent)? Some of the customer photos on the site look pretty good and it seems to match the new center caps they sell dead on.

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post

Very rough Photoshop of the idea:

Not digging it... just doesn't have the "pop" that silver wheels provide, imo.

I'm actually a big fan of the ten-holes.... they just look "right" to me. But silver pony's look good too.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Not digging it... just doesn't have the "pop" that silver wheels provide, imo.

I'm actually a big fan of the ten-holes.... they just look "right" to me. But silver pony's look good too.
    I like the 10 Holes too, but it's just so limited when trying to find tires in 15''. I'll keep them bagged up for safe keeping and still plan on using them from time to time if the mood strikes. I just put fresh rubber on them last spring too.

Regarding the color - The more I look and think about it, the more I'm swaying towards keeping the Ponies silver.

Just like the hood decal - I can see myself picking apart any charcoal color and not be happy with it unless it was bang on match. Too easy to look amateur and sloppy trying to change the color.

I'm going to bolt up a couple of the ponies just to get a rough idea of the looks before I do anything else.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-22-2023 at 11:56 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)