Close

Saleenbullitt

Default '86 Foglight question

Howdy, I am new to the forums. I have been working on fox bodies for about six years now, but recently I bought my first four eye. To make a long story short I bought a gutted '86 GT and am slowly putting it back together. I have all the wiring figured out, except for one silly thing. How doyou turn on the foglights on a 1986 Mustang GT! I have most of the interior assembled and can't find a switch. Is there a switch, or do they automatically come on with the low beams? I know this is a stupid question but I need help. Thanks. Jim

Default Re: '86 Foglight question

there is a switch that is mounted on the bottom of the dash underneath the headlight switch. It's a sliding switch, slides back and forth(left to right). I'll see if I can snap a picture and post it for you.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

Saleenbullitt

50 Proof, thanks for the help. Is the switch molded right into the dash, or does it possibly bolt on the the bottom of the dash?

edit- now I see your picture, its bolted to the bottom of the dash right?

it screws into the bottom of the dash. my brother might have an extra 86 fog lamp switch from a parts car he had awhile back. PM V8only or email v8only@yahoo.com and ask if he still has it.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

Saleenbullitt

Thanks 50 Proof, this is turning out to be a very useful website. I will e-mail him ASAP because foureyes are hard to find in boneyards in my neck of the woods.

Scott Toogood

I suggest you only use the switch to trigger a relay as these cars had lots of problems with light switches overheating. I think Stangnet has some schmatics in the tech section.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Toogood
    I suggest you only use the switch to trigger a relay as these cars had lots of problems with light switches overheating. I think Stangnet has some schmatics in the tech section.
    Agreed. My switch is toast and a previous owner has a crappy lookin toggle rigged up under the dash. I'll be looking for some relays come spring for mine.
    '86 GT 13.49 @ 104
    '83 Tbird TC 17.75 @ 78
    '05 Five Hundred AWD 16.95 @ 88

Saleenbullitt

A relay would probably be a good idea. Thanks for the heads up.