Close

Default 86' GT - Marti Report

Received this last night:

Looks like it has a 3.08 rear, hood decal delete, and was sold on Halloween.

Seems awful late in the year for 1986, with the 87's knocking on the door at the time. I'll take it.

1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

More interesting to me is that it was 6 month between the time the car was ordered and assembly began. I wonder if there was a shortage in one of the options or something.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Was a dealer stock order and took 6 weeks to sell
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Different on hood decal delete. How many had that in 86?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I haven't sent that number for GT hatchbacks yet. I have for GT convertibles and 14.5% of them had that option.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I haven't sent that number for GT hatchbacks yet. I have for GT convertibles and 14.5% of them had that option.
    Thanks, more than I would have thought. Guess, I never looked that hard, but not sure I recall ever seeing one without in person.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Thanks, more than I would have thought. Guess, I never looked that hard, but not sure I recall ever seeing one without in person.
    Same, but then again, I don't see any 85/86's in the wild as-is to be completely honest.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Code "GTX" on the buck tag indicated if 'Hood Graphic Delete' (regular production option #974) was ordered. Since this was an option only in the 1986 model year, that is the only model year you will find that buck tag code.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Code "GTX" on the buck tag indicated if 'Hood Graphic Delete' (regular production option #974) was ordered. Since this was an option only in the 1986 model year, that is the only model year you will find that buck tag code.
    Next time I am around the car, I will snap a photo of the door sticker and see if I can pull the buck tag. I'm going to leave the build sheet a mystery for now, as I don't feel like tearing apart carpet and panels.

Thanks for the additional information!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

If anyone finds their 1986 GT build sheet and sees code "GX" on row G in columns 17-18, that means 'Hood Graphic Delete'.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Interesting, to me, that the "Hood Graphic Delete" was only an option in 86, and not in 85. Wonder why that was??
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Could have been a very late 1985 option. The latest 1985 model year salesperson price book I have seen is dated 04/29/85 (about three months before production ended) and it doesn't list RPO 974 as an option, but the 1986 dealer docs don't indicate it was a new option for that model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Interesting, to me, that the "Hood Graphic Delete" was only an option in 86, and not in 85. Wonder why that was??
    All those Stang owners jealous of Capri's with no decal, LOL!!

I WONDERED why I had such an easy time removing the old one!!

It came right off. All the videos and threads I saw had people using eraser wheels and heat guns...and it looked like a nightmare. I thought I had just gotten lucky.

What do you guys think - Would it be bad taste to put a new one on, if it originally came without? I plan on putting the new one on still....I like the way it looks. Down the road - do you think this would hurt the value? Can always peel it off if a "super snob" came along right?

Cheers
    Last edited by ITdude87; 01-31-2023 at 10:58 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Yea, put it on.... it wouldn't be in bad taste. imo. I like the way they look also. It just seems "right" on an 85 or 86 GT.

No one would ever know that it didn't come with one. You wouldn't either if you hadn't gotten the Marti report, right? And like you say, it could be removed if so desired.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    I WONDERED why I had such an easy time removing the old one!!

It came right off. All the videos and threads I saw had people using eraser wheels and heat guns...and it looked like a nightmare. I thought I had just gotten lucky.

What do you guys think - Would it be bad taste to put a new one on, if it originally came without? I plan on putting the new one on still....I like the way it looks. Down the road - do you think this would hurt the value? Can always peel it off if a "super snob" came along right?

Cheers
    Probably a re-pop decal. Car was resprayed right? Can usually tell near driver's door sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Yea, put it on.... it wouldn't be in bad taste. imo. I like the way they look also. It just seems "right" on an 85 or 86 GT.

No one would ever know that it didn't come with one. You wouldn't either if you hadn't gotten the Marti report, right? And like you say, it could be removed if so desired.
    You’re not wrong. The window sticker included with the car’s documentation had a line that said “Hood graphic - not included”. Up until the Marti report, you’re right - I thought they all came with it, but I had my doubts. I’m glad this type of decoding and documentation exists.

The fact is, I’ve wanted a car like this again for so long, and now that I finally have it, I’m going through every nook and cranny and obsessing over every detail I can find about it. Hearing someone else say “do it” is affirming. I agree, it looks like it belongs and feels right.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Probably a re-pop decal. Car was resprayed right? Can usually tell near driver's door sticker.
    Nope, definitely original paint, no doubt about it.

Decal - Absolutely. It was weathered in some spots had me fooled as original as well, which prompted me to peel it and order a replacement in the first place. It came off without much fuss, and that didn’t seem right. I had figured it would be a lot more stubborn if it was the real deal.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Nope, definitely original paint, no doubt about it.

Decal - Absolutely. It was weathered in some spots had me fooled as original as well, which prompted me to peel it and order a replacement in the first place. It came off without much fuss, and that didn’t seem right. I had figured it would be a lot more stubborn if it was the real deal.
    Show it outside in the sun, so we can see the paint. Did the original owner tell you this, that it was original? Dunno why, but comes off as a repaint, not metallic-y enough, or deep enough to be Ford at quick glance. Canyon Red IIRC.

Personally I would for sure do the '85GT decal on both '85 and '86, and not use that 'generic' looking one without the GT cutout. Absolutely am intriqued by these CRAZY OCT '86 builds. Thats never been done in Mustang history. First week of Aug is usually when Job 1 begins on the new model year
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 02-01-2023 at 04:04 AM.

It's definitely the photo and fluorescent lighting playing tricks on you. It's metallic-y, just a touch faded and thin. - Here's a little bit better angle, you can see some "crows feet" in the paint - If you look up close in some spots, they're there. These are present mostly on the topsides of the car, the sides are much better. If you stand 2-3ft away you can't see them...but up close they're there. Color looks exactly the same in all the jambs, under the hood, etc.

It needs a respray IMO, it's just not something I'm willing to pay for at the moment.

Personally I would for sure do the '85GT decal on both '85 and '86, and not use that 'generic' looking one without the GT cutout.
    Agreed. I've got a new decal WITH the cutout ready to go!

Here's some cloudy, but natural light:

Last edited by ITdude87; 02-01-2023 at 01:57 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Looks incredible, outside. Are you thinking Tint? 35 percent all-around would finish it off real nice.

Looks incredible, outside. Are you thinking Tint? 35 percent all-around would finish it off real nice.
    Thanks! It really does look amazing out in the open still, so long as you don't get any closer than 12'' away.

Tint is on my short list for things to do in the spring! It's going to look great and protect the interior from UV.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-01-2023 at 03:38 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

My '84 still has the original paint and it to is a "20 footer" paint looks good...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"