Close

Thread: Been to long

Default Been to long

I had an 85 GT, 15-16 years ago. I finally found another, 85 GT HB, 5 speed, still has the 7.5 rear end but at least has the 3.08 gear, it’s a bit of a basket case but was cheap. The only thing I can’t seem to figure out is it has black interior, correct halo seats and they are vinyl, door sticker was painted over but buck TAG shows the “ EL A” code which shows charcoal Everything I have read and found says no black interior. Charcoal does look black on TMI and LMR with the same pattern that is in the car.
    Last edited by mlowe6417; 01-24-2023 at 02:03 PM.

Looks like previous owner(s) did a color swap and a re-upholstery of the original seats in black vinyl. Not all that uncommon for these cars. They gray interiors were multiple shades of gray and often didn't' hold up well due to sun and age.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That makes sense but seems like a ton of work to make every single piece black on the inside, maybe it was done before these cars skyrocketed in value, just didn’t make to much sense. The car sold me mainly as I know what a full interior cost and I paid about that for the entire car, has a horrible spray everything paint job although the side trim actually looks good with it being the same color as car which I’ll prob redo., working on getting the rubber window trim with paint on it cleaned off then at some point I’ll re spray it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlowe6417 View Post
    That makes sense but seems like a ton of work to make every single piece black on the inside, maybe it was done before these cars skyrocketed in value, just didn’t make to much sense. The car sold me mainly as I know what a full interior cost and I paid about that for the entire car, has a horrible spray everything paint job although the side trim actually looks good with it being the same color as car which I’ll prob redo., working on getting the rubber window trim with paint on it cleaned off then at some point I’ll re spray it.
    When I redo my Foxes, I generally respray all the interior trim panels for that fresh new look, so not a huge deal IMHO. Unfortunately the interior paint prices have gone up significantly in the last few years, but before that I would buy a full gallon of spray interior color from the paint supply house for less than $200 and that would usually do at least 2 full interiors and sometimes a bit more depending on color and condition. If you were already replacing carpet and doing seat upholstery than it was cheap to do a full interior refresh and then the car generally looked better than new since back in the day the hard plastic color didn't match the flexible plastic color which didn't really match the carpet, nor the door panels, etc. One of the main reasons I hated the Sand Beige interior back in the day as the colors were off the most in my view on that interior. The Black interior was the best, then Gray, then Blue, and then the Red in most cases. I won't get into all the unusual colors that were available in the early Fox years as there were too many to discuss. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yep! I’ve done my fair share of interior restorations and it seems most of the 85/86 mustangs I looked at had different seats from another era, so that was gonna be an added cost, and I wanted to as Factory as possible interior. This one didn’t run, I thought I was taking a big risk but when I saw people selling shells for 2k it was worth it in my book, even if I needed to build an engine.

Nice ride. Just wondering what you picked it up for? Picked my 83 up not running as well for $1600 last Xmas I’m in another $1600 so far but it’s registered and enjoyed for 5k miles so far. Any plans for it yet?