Close

Default 1986 Mustang GT Vinyl Headliner Color (SMS AUTO FABRICS)

Name:  smsheadliner.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  70.8 KBI just received samples from SMS and they are both much darker than my original headliner. They are stating that's the only two colors offered would anyone know the correct name for the light gray. Its a factory sunroof car.
    Last edited by psessa35; 01-23-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Officially the interior color is called Charcoal. I believe that is why they sent you the samples that they did, that’s all they know to go by. The lighter color used in the interior (carpeting, floor mats, headliner) was called “Oxford Grey”. Try a website called “Stock Interiors”. You can order free samples from them to match up to your existing headliner.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Looks like no grey in vinyl?... https://www.stockinteriors.com/Headl...sp?Itemid=7483

Coupe no sunroof LMR but all cloth... https://lmr.com/products/79-99-Mustang-Coupe-Headliners

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

SMS is sending out another sample today and they are stating its a perfect match Logan grain vinyl.

Can you tell me how thick the foam backing is on your existing Vinyl? I have an 89, factory sunroof car, that I am going to be redoing the headliner soon and am wondering how thick of foam I should get. I have read different thicknesses but nobody has said that my car came with X from the factory. I have the original vinyl from my car but the foam backing is long gone. I basically just need to know the correct thickness and I will head over to SMS on my lunch one day and pick up the material.
    Thanks
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I'm waiting on the vinyl sample from SMS. I haven't removed the original headliner yet.

Thank you
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

My experience with SMS lately has been less than stellar, which is unfortunate, as they've always been great customer service wise. I ordered a sample of material for my drivers seat and received the sample is good time. When I ordered the material, it took them almost a week and a half just to ship it out, and then when I received it, it was wrong. They are shipping out the correct material, but it's just been a bit of a headache.

85 Mustang GT

I have only used them a couple times in the past and both have been positive. However, I work like 5-7 min away from them so I do not have to deal with the shipping portion/delay and I am sure I get what I need when I leave.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I just received the 3rd sample from SMS and its a perfect match!

I'm about to order the material from SMS. It comes by the yard 54" wide. Does anyone know how much I should order? Also did the sunroof cars with the vinyl headliner have any kind of foam backing or was it glued directly to the board? Thanks

I'm glad you received your sample and it's correct. I have received 2 shipments of fabric from them and both have been the wrong material. This was after I received my sample from them back in November and the sample was the right material. Customer service from them is nonexistent. I was looking at some Google reviews for them. They have gotten quite a few negative reviews recently. After I received the second shipment of the wrong material from them, I e-mailed them a pic of the second material placed up against my original seat material with the sample they first sent. You could tell the difference. After not getting any response for about a week, I asked for an update. I received an e-mail the following day saying they were looking for the material in the warehouse. I replied asking them if they wanted me to send the sample back? The replied back that they had a sample in my file. A few days later I asked for another update, they said they were short staffed in shipping and were still working on it. A few days later I asked for another update. This time they asked me if I could send them a sample of my existing seta material. ???.

85 Mustang GT

Maybe i can help ya out a bit.
    Have replaced my car and truck headliner with foam backed material.
    Vinyl should work the same way.
    Had no problem getting both boards in and out. May have to bend them a little.
    Easily took all day for each but jobs were successful.
    Interior trim, dome, map lights, and the sun visors.
    Mark L and R, study and remember how they go back into the roof so the screws find their holes .
    Goes faster next time once you learn the deal.
    Cleaned the backer board real good so glue would stick and no flaws would show.
    Glued directly to board. Use headliner rated glue. 3M, etc.
    Tricky to get the material smooth. Once glue sticks that's it.
    Working with the stringy spray glue is messy.
    54" is enough for width. Measure front to back of roof area and add extra length as you feel you may need.
    Plenty of diy videos online.
    Not buying enough material is not an option.
    Go slow and enjoy the result!

Warehouse is prob busy. most run lean as to worker count, so may take a bit longer to get the right stuff.
    Also, product and procedure knowledge to fill orders varies from old pros to newbees.

My 89 sunroof car had foam backing but the foam disintegrated, which is why it dropped, so I have no idea how thick it was originally. I know the full roof cars with the cloth headliners had 3/16" thick foam backing. I am eager to know the thickness as well. Is there a spot around the dome light or sunroof latch that you can maybe tell how thick the foam is/was?

SMS is located in a business park in Canby, Oregon. Canby is a small farm community town outside of Portland with not a lot going on there. I have been there a couple times and it is basically a huge warehouse with a small office or will call area that you can walk into. There are material samples all over the walls in the will call area. I do not think they get a lot of walk in business which is why it is so small. You tell the person at the counter what you are looking for and they look it up and go find it. You cannot see anything out in the warehouse from the will call area. At least that is how it was 5-6 years ago.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I ordered my headliner and seat fabric from SMS. It took awhile for mine to get shipped to my house too. I called and they told me it takes about three weeks to ship. I was concerned because I thought they lost my order.

As far as the headliner goes, it’s correct material, but has no foam back. Do you think it will hold up to the cardboard with just headliner glue?

Or do I need to somehow figure out how to add foam?

Thanks

Interesting.... It appears on my 89 sunroof car there was some foam installed at one time. That was the failure mode of the vinyl along with the water leak. I have the original vinyl and most of the cardboard and it looks like there is still residual foam on both sides.

I am getting close to getting my new cardboard backer ready for material on my 89. I do not have a confirmation on what the original foam thickness should be on the vinyl. I know the foam thickness on the full roof cars was 3/16" from the factory.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179