Close

Default Lights and sockets, and LEDs... and lenses

I think I want to put LEDs in the rear of my 84 Capri but I don't want to use 1157/1156 sockets anymore. I have had issues with my rear sockets in the past where I have had them go out and had to fiddle with the good bulbs to get them to work again, and I'd like to get away from antiquated twist in bulbs altogether. They are working now, but friends tell me the brake lights do not illuminate very brightly. Has anyone converted to 3157 style plugs in a Mustang or Capri, or is there a better option? Also, does anyone else with a Capri have side markers in the rear moldings that work? Mine have wires going to them, but have never worked in my almost 21 years of ownership. It would be cool if I could get them to illuminate as marker lights, and blink with the appropriate turn signal. I have twisted 3157 sockets into some spare tail lights I have, but they were 90° sockets and I'm unsure if they'll work when are car body comes into play.

Also, the front turn signal lenses are something I'd like to change. Does anyone make these in clear? I think it would look a lot better than the amber ones. I have searched around a little bit, but can't find anything. I know I will need to put an LED flasher in to avoid hyper flash, if anyone has a link to one they have used, I'd appreciate that help too.

Thanks,
    Cale

Have had socket ground issues over the years. Simple replacement of sockets did the trick.
    My 93 Ranger has 3157 type never had issues. Has amber rear ts lens. Some Mustangs did too.
    I value the graphic warning display enough to stay with regular non-led bulbs.
    Clean housings and fresh reflective paint inside keep the bulbs bright enough.
    Amber front turn signals were required traffic laws.
    Clear lens and amber bulbs is an option.
    Never seen a factory version of ft clear lens for our cars.

https://jalopnik.com/when-turn-signa...pec-1841458348

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    Also, does anyone else with a Capri have side markers in the rear moldings that work? Mine have wires going to them, but have never worked in my almost 21 years of ownership. It would be cool if I could get them to illuminate as marker lights, and blink with the appropriate turn signal.
    My side marker lights work in my '86 Capri. They don't blink with the turn signals though. Would be neat if you could get them to blink with the turn signals.

Quote Originally Posted by fascat View Post
    My side marker lights work in my '86 Capri. They don't blink with the turn signals though. Would be neat if you could get them to blink with the turn signals.
    Anything can be rewired. Just make sure the flasher is sized correctly for the new loads.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

FEP Supporter

This is how you can have the side marker lights flash. Same schematic GM used for years. No flasher required.

Name:  turn signal side marker mod.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  97.9 KB
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Have had socket ground issues over the years. Simple replacement of sockets did the trick.
    My 93 Ranger has 3157 type never had issues. Has amber rear ts lens. Some Mustangs did too.
    I value the graphic warning display enough to stay with regular non-led bulbs.
    Clean housings and fresh reflective paint inside keep the bulbs bright enough.
    Amber front turn signals were required traffic laws.
    Clear lens and amber bulbs is an option.
    Never seen a factory version of ft clear lens for our cars.

https://jalopnik.com/when-turn-signa...pec-1841458348
    I feel like the 3157 sockets are a lot better if they will fit, my feeling is that if I am going to splice and solder in new plugs and buy new lights I may as well get away from twist sockets altogether. I'm looking into this, I'll let you know my findings. I have a parts vehicle I can cut 3157 90° sockets off of and test but have my hands in a couple other projects on the car currently. These 3157 sockets do appear to be straight on:

https://henrysautowarehouse.com/prod...forduniversal/

My plan would be to run amber colored bulbs if I switched to clear lenses up front. I no longer have the graphic warning display in my car, so I'm not worried there. Looks like Novita EL12 is the flasher to use... Anyone used this with success on LEDs?

Quote Originally Posted by fascat View Post
    Good to know, I looked into it years ago but kept scraping and cutting my forearms reaching in there and rage quit.

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    This is how you can have the side marker lights flash. Same schematic GM used for years. No flasher required.

Name:  turn signal side marker mod.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  97.9 KB
    Thanks for the diagram. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about doing that however. I kind of like the circuits being isolated from each another.