Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FEP Power Member

Received the info packet in the mail yesterday, not much to it really. Consists of a green premium windshield sticker, event map & information.

Wife and I are heading out on Friday, maybe we caravan out there Tim?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Hopefully we can make it up next year with one of the cars. This July is a busy mess for us.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Zen - I'm game. Let's chat when it gets a little closer to Friday
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Default local weather and traffic updates for event

Map showing current traffic and road construction in Metro Detroit.
    GPS routing onboard would be very handy for detours.

New law started 6/30 no cellphones when driving:
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ity%20features.

Parts of I-96 and I-696 are messed up down to two patchy bumpy old lanes both ways per map.
    Southern part of I-96 thru Livonia is new. I-275 is under construction too.
    Southfield freeway M-39 is ok speed 55 most do 70.

No 696 autobaun driving this year. Can have multi mile backups for sure 3p-7p.
    WWJ 950 AM is good for real time traffic reports on the 'eights'.

https://mdotjboss.state.mi.us/MiDrive/map#

weather outlook is good for Friday, some rain may be around Saturday.
    Temps are usually 80's-60's can be humid and a brief passing shower or two.
    Hard rains do not last long.
    Friday looks good for evening Woodward cruising north of 8 mile to 15 mile. Lots of places to park and sit.
    Right two lanes are best speed limit is 45 but can do 30 no problem others understand and do not shoot.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=10+day...gan&FORM=QSRE2

For visibility regarding Friday the 14th
    ----------------------------------------------------------

1. You only have to register and pay for the Meet-and-Greet if you'd like food and drinks. The food at Ford's Garage is amazing though!

2. Motor City Foxfest T-shirts and hats will be available for sale at the Meet-and-Greet. Two styles of hats ( Flex-Fit and Richardson Snap-back mesh/trucker) and three styles of T-shirts (Premium black and grey. PLUS, "Limited Edition" blue event shirts).

3. You can purchase wristbands for food and drinks on-site at the Meet-and-Greet.

4. The address for Meet-and-Greet parking at Jack Demmer Lincoln is: 21531 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI 48124.
    Ford's Garage is next door at: 21367 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI 48124.

5. The Meet-and-Greet starts at 3:00 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m. On FRIDAY JULY 14, 2023.

6. For those interested, there will be a "Cruise Opportunity". A group will cruise from the Meet-and-Greet to historic Woodward Avenue. It will depart at 6:00 p.m.

7. The "Afterglow" will take place at 9:00 p.m. at the host hotel. Doubletree Hilton 5801 Southfield Fwy, Detroit, MI 48228.

8. You do not have to pay to park and attend the Meet-and-Greet.

If you any questions, please ask here, e-mail motorcityfoxfest@gmail.com and/or call/text 734-506-8811. Thank you!

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Looks like weather in the form of rain may be a factor later in the day Friday and Saturday.
    Trend this time of year is active weather chance of passing showers late afternoon on.
    No all day rain or large storm events predicted. Could rain in one spot, sunny a mile away.
    Mid 80's/60's can get humid. Breeze is common.
    Bring towels just in case. Umbrella for shade and rain?. Folding chair or two.
    Plan is to drive to Demmer lot Friday afternoon then to Woodward weather permitting.
    Likely nothing will go on at FWHQ Friday, as employees use the lots.
    Saturday to FWHQ early. Can get hot out there with the minimal shade.
    The vintage Good Humor ice cream truck is a regular out there and are nice people good prices 2.

Is always special to go out to that area since our cars were built a mile or two away at DAP.
    The vibe is real. The cars know where they are.
    May run into workers who made parts or assembled them. Me for one.
    1980's-90's worked at a factory that was a parts vendor for the big 3. Metal clips, fasteners.
    Several parts we made is on every Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Looks like weather in the form of rain may be a factor later in the day Friday and Saturday.
    Nope. Shush. Don't jinx it.

Glad I sprang for the "Premium" covered parking spot at the show early on!

I'll make it a point to check the thread here on Friday night/Saturday to see if anyone from the board wants to meet up and say hello at the show. If you're going, feel free to drop me a DM as well.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 07-12-2023 at 12:09 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Senior Member

Hoping the rain holds off until the afternoon. SVOCA will be under the solar panels (covered parking). Looking forward to a fun event!
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Seen:
    Several of Ford's collection of Mustang Cobra R's tagged #1 of xxx, 1993, 1995, 2000.
    1979 Pace car from Roush Museum. Still has the special built 3o2, rear bumper holes, t-roof, taller rear spoiler.
    Two Durangos
    Many ASC's
    Many SVO's
    At least six 90's SSP's from different states, including two still owned by Michigan State Police, one driven to the show by a full dress trooper.
    Many coyote and modular transplants. Turbos, six cylinders. Was that a Volvo 2.3 cyl head conversion?
    Several Fairmont wagons, one black LTD II.
    Many stockers and customs 1979-2004 driven in or trailered.
    Cool trophies.
    Lots of pro picture taking.
    Sponsor row had product displays under tent shades.
    Good Humor vendor towed in a vintage 69? dry ice freezer trailer.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-20-2023 at 11:59 AM.

The new Ford Motorsport/Recaro seats for foxbodies they unveiled were super cool.

The rain was a bit of a bummer, but I had a great time all the same. The covered parking helped a ton.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Senior Member

Agree. Nice turn out for the call of rain and the rain actually happening. Some rare Saleens there for sure. A lot of ASC McLarens (my old one was not there) 16 SVOs (none of which I used to own) with the SVOCA. Great to see the vendors embracing the Ford Motorsport legacy. Bill Butler's car looked great in the Ford Performance tent.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

The calm rain cooled the air nicely. Most covered spots were taken and dry enough for top downs.
    The swap meet was a wash out.
    Was room to walk along under the carport to view row then dash in the rain to the next one.
    Some cars had to park in spots that got water from canopy leaks.
    Seen lots of small yellow towels. Were they a goodie bags item?

The 360 space carport canopies p/a system works great could hear end of show presentation across the lot.
    A Ford better idea. Most shows a crowd watching does not allow people in the back to hear what's going on.

Forgot to see tf the solar roof paneled EV charging stations were free to employees..
    Seen station areas were a popular spot to leave trash.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-16-2023 at 03:14 PM.

Default Friday 7/14 Demmer parking lot next to Ford Garage

Pics taken before the sudden brief cloudburst.
    Not all cars made the FWHQ show Saturday.

Was told to "park in back next to that white #25 SCCA Mustang":

Name:  FoxFest 2023 (1) 15155050.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  31.3 KBName:  FoxFest 2023 (8) post.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  FoxFest 2023 (14) post.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  23.4 KBName:  FoxFest 2023 (11) post.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  25.3 KB
    Name:  FoxFest 2023 (15) 5050.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  168.5 KB
    Last edited by gr79; 07-16-2023 at 11:25 PM.

FEP Power Member

Pretty nice turn out. (500+) for not that great of day weather wise. I had a great time and met a bunch of cool people Friday & Sat. Missed the Friday meet & greet due to working on the car but hung out in the hotel parking lot.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Default show entrance route sucked

What really was not cool was the route to the traditional show entrance off Michigan Ave.
    Driving thru the construction zone on milled pavement then having to drive up and down high raw new pavement edges.
    Could have caused damage to lowered cars or a trailer.
    No type of temporary gravel or asphalt ramps were built as usual.
    Could have been replanned to enter off Hubbard Dr to FWHQ's W rd, the route used for the show exit.
    One time deal road should be fine next year.

When it rained at the meet and greet Friday, most ran to the Garage for shelter just like at home.
    Other sat in their cars. I had a portable Ryobi 18v fan on the pass seat. The windshield still fogged up.

The SCCA Mustang next to me had to get a jump start. Electrical glitch.
    Later when it started to rain heavy, it got caught with both windows down.
    Could not help. The power windows needed keyed power.

Did buy a nice 5.00 FoxFest 2023 dash plaque there.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-17-2023 at 04:41 PM.

FEP Power Member

When I drove thru that construction area I was like, WTF really, driving thru this and the mud was a treat.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

The is why to make sure everything under car is tucked up like factory when possible.
    Even pipe clamps facing down can snag on something. Band clamps work better.
    Long tube header collectors and deep oil pans hang low.
    Careful with steep driveway angles, speed bumps, and gas station underground tank fuel fill humps.

Show was great. Caught up with some friends and met new ones. Rain set in mid-afternoon and put a damper on things. Moved to a covered spot when a hole opened up. Name:  IMG_2264.jpeg
Views: 103
Size:  131.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_2270.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2266.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  121.0 KB
    Roads in Michigan were no joke. The 3” drop to get on to the property from the recommended direction was a bit painful. Living in western PA, the road conditions are legendary. I was shocked at the roads in MI. Interstates were tolerable but secondary roads were atrocious. Every joint in asphalt was heaved 2”. Didn’t do the kidneys any good.

Drive home was a different experience. First mile after getting on the OH Turnpike was passing a truck. Was just getting ahead of the front drive tires when the outer one exploded. Lots of noise and vibration. Pulled off the road and called police. Getting out of the car to check for damage wasn’t seeming like a good idea with traffic passing 2’ away at 80mph. Cop arrived and traffic moved to center lane. Got out and damage was minimal. Rubber scuff mark the size of a pencil eraser. Didn’t file a report but have an incident number. State inspection coming and I’ll have them check the underneath. Car drove fine afterwards and got home ok.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

I think you parked your Capri right near me in the hotel parking lot. I remember checking out a white one on TRX wheels
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Photos really show what the solar arrayed canopies look like.
    The east west white pedestrian canopy in background looks non grid.

Can see the roof tree on the Glass House.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-20-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    I think you parked your Capri right near me in the hotel parking lot. I remember checking out a white one on TRX wheels
    I think I remember seeing your car. A beauty. I need to walk around more.

I thought the canopies were interesting but odd that they didn’t face south. Lot of wasted energy there.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

My company does a lot of work with solar panels for our products. The most efficient move is placing them East/West since that's the direction the sun rises and sets. We'll even use a solar positioning app to spot where the sun position will be at solar noon on the winter solstice since that's the weakest (shortest) day of the year and go from there. If they faced south, you wouldn't get any direct exposure.

$.02
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Came across a Fordmuscle.com article on the show....

https://www.fordmuscle.com/news/our-10-favorite-foxes-from-the-2023-motor-city-foxfest/

First time I've seen a chopped Fox....

Doug Kielian, owner of Auto Kraft in Lincoln, Nebraska, made the 13-hour drive to Dearborn to show off his legendary Chopped Fox, which features a lower roof line and wider flanks. He did the design and custom metalwork himself and still loves driving the car to this day. Your author sat in the car and the lower roofline does give the car a more sporting feel.
    Last edited by 85GTGuy; 07-26-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    My company does a lot of work with solar panels for our products. The most efficient move is placing them East/West since that's the direction the sun rises and sets. We'll even use a solar positioning app to spot where the sun position will be at solar noon on the winter solstice since that's the weakest (shortest) day of the year and go from there. If they faced south, you wouldn't get any direct exposure.

$.02
    That's how mine were laid out (E/W). Now I just need to finish the install. they don't make any power sitting in the shed!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I saw a lot of videos on YouTube about this event. Unfortunately, I'm changing out my water pump, thermo, and housing and just haven't had the time to get it complete yet. It would've been cool to be there. Even with the rain, it looked like a pretty good event.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast