Close

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default 130amp upgrade

I finally got to do an alternator upgrade to my 87 TC. Not that I wanted to (trying to keep original as possible).

Knowing how the older ones had issues. I bought the 130amp alternator and power wire from American Muscle last year before Ford Carlisle but, didn't really have the time to do until this year. I knew I had to modify my power steering pump bracket to accommodate the size of the new alternator. Used a die grinder to massage enough material out of the way (sorry no pics before and after of that). This link has some pics of the bracket. https://turbotbird.com/thread-3g-alternator-install. Moved wires around for the wire that plugs in for the car (pulling 2 wires out of factory plug and switching their places) insted cutting and splicing. I didn't do enough research on everything, because the power wire I bought was too long, so I ordered the shorter one and got it installed the other week. Just now getting to post about it. Here is the link to AM for some of my finished pics. https://www.americanmuscle.com/profi...eimage=1719373
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

FEP Power Member

Nice! Is this a doable swap on the 83-86 TC cars?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Yes, it is.

Here is another link that will help for older models. http://www.rothfam.com/svo/3g/
    Last edited by 86-TC/SVO; 04-30-2023 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Adding link
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

Been tuning my car, but been raining for 2 days so waiting for rain to stop
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Did some paving on the Cobra. Forgot how much I hate bondo.

Name:  TncpdQF.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  460.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Yesterday -

Finally got the tint re-installed with the correct (ceramic) film. 15% on the hatch, 20% on the sides.

Looking good!
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Thanks! I went back and forth with the percentages trying to match the decals/trim as best I could. I think it turned out wonderful in person and was worth the wait.

Not much left to do at this point in my opinion, other than enjoy it (famous last words). It was a pretty productive "off season" getting all the little kinks and touches ironed out, and the car is finally at the point where I wanted it to be outside of maybe some more spit shining.

I do need to get it in to have the AC charged up fresh, and maybe the rear end and transmission fluid flushed out for good measure...but other than that...I'm ready for the nice weather cruises and a few shows.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 05-01-2023 at 03:30 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

That's a beautiful car .

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Bumping this one since folks keep posting in the "2020" thread by mistake.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Default its not 2020?

Moved the post. Thanx guys. A senior member moment.

Nice day 80's no wind. Mostly overcast no sun beating down.
    Engine stuttered a bit the other day. Decided to have a peek inside the carb bowl.
    Upgrade carb install is going on 4 years of driving bliss.

Original plan was to change power valve from 8.5 to 6.5. An experiment to see what..
    Carb stayed on engine. Is a Holley 2300 series 350 cfm 2v.

First removed sight plug to check fuel level in bowl. Level ok.

Removing the 4 bowl screws: Three barely clear the strut tower bar and top of alternator.
    Had shop rags stuffed under front of carb.
    Drained bowl by removing lower bowl screws. Needed long 1/4" extension with 5/16 socket.
    Once the metering block was out, decided to also change secondary jet from 55 to 56.
    Left primary at 55. Jetting was a guess converting over from stock Holley 5200 carb.
    Noticed had bowl vent baffle installed upside down and in front of gasket. Corrected that.

Reassembled carb.
    Engine started ran real rough gas poured out under metering block.
    Took it apart and reinstalled the 8.5 pv. Was the 6.5 ng? Dunno. Looked ok.

Reassembled 2nd time Same deal. Gas on everything under front of carb and on ground.
    Why did i not leave things alone?. Carb was fine before fiddling with it.
    It is not the FEP way.

Disassembled again 3rd time.
    One lower bowl screw gasket flew off somewhere and walmart has no extras.
    Looked and looked at nooks and crannys in area below carb,
    Found it under car on driveway location under rear of k member. Luck luck luck. Took a coffee break.
    A round black nylon gasket in an oil and gas stained area of driveway. Bright flashlight was gold.

Reassembled and made sure bowl and metering block and bowl were square and seated.
    All screws now threaded almost all the way by hand like they should have prior.

No more leak and car drove fine. Seems to have a bit more umph from 1/2 throttle.
    Will get a new 6.5 pv, extra screws, screw gaskets, maybe jets and try again.
    Carb otherwise was clean inside.

Ain't those reusable Holley blue gaskets purdy? Gotta be worth 5 more hp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gr79; 05-24-2023 at 12:29 PM.

Installed a 2.5lb. Halon extinguisher in my 86, got the bracket from NPD and then the fun started. They claim there are two holes to mount the bracket in the car .but didn't give any further instructions. Well one of the "holes" is between the seat and the sill panel and as I found out later is measures approximately 3"X3 1/2" in diameter. I had to fab a plate to fit under it between the the bottom floor pan and the seat pan then line up the bracket with the retaining bolt. Plus drill a hole for the other bolt on the bracket which came out on the other inside of the frame rail, all the while laying on my back. Rather than blather on about this if anyone needs advice on this in the furture please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help you out. Daryl 608-751-9653, if no answer leave a voicemail. The phone rings about 13 times before the leave a message comes on.
    Last edited by gt pony; 05-27-2023 at 10:30 AM.

Noticed a hairline crack middle of w/s above r/v mirror down almost to the bottom. Chassis flex i guess.
    Is a Carlite W900 tinted. Replaced in back in the 80's.
    Checked NPD site Whoohoo In stock. Coupe and Hatch.
    Darn was right near the Mich NPD store this afternoon but was almost 5pm.
    Oh well. Will be there very soon. Hope the box fits in the car.
    Have to dig out a tab mount bracket style mirror. Current set screw style mirror mount won't work.
    Says replacement style exact blackout is different. Shucks car has a lot of multiple year parts anyway.

Glad to see it go. Was going to do it anyway. Will look great again at a show.
    Glass looked sandblasted from day one. Glare too. New ones look invisible.
    Should have taken it back to the glass place right away but had a heavy work schedule and let it go.

Finally got her down off the jackstands with new shoes.

[ATTACH]138182[/ATTACH

Engine fired after 4th turn of the key. All good so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Capris are so mean. I don’t recall seeing too many in white William, love it!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Default drive to bbq

Hot today already 80-90 clear sky and calm. Perfect.
    Driving the Cobra across town to the usual summer afternoon holiday bbq at S's house. Shaded patio no 'skeeters yet.
    Grew up with her and her brother lived a block away. Long time close friends. Many good times continue.

Kingsford Charcoal chimney starter tool. Grill two t-bones one for today one for later..
    Load up cooler and 19" LCD tv for watching postponed NASCAR Coke 600 ota outside on the picnic table.
    One year started to rain hard new gutter leaked put out the fire soaked the food.

Decided to give up on the old Holley boat carburetor I have been using for 35 years and installed a new Edelbrock AVS2 500 CFM on my Mustang.
    Set the idle, changed the plugs and went for a rip. Works great, nice and smooth with no hesitation. Also it got rid of the sulfer smell from the catts I had when pushing it.
    Should done this years ago.

Capris are so mean. I don’t recall seeing too many in white William, love it!
    Thanks IT, She gets some attention on the road. Time to hit some shows and enjoy the weather and people. Looking forward to Ford Nationals in a couple of days and the new Motor City Foxfest in July.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

My 83 RS Capri getting some TLC. Front end fixed, sealer and 4 coats black lacquer and 4 coats clear. Anticipate paint in the near future. Sonic Blue Pearl over black primer. SN95 front and rear calipers have been powder coated (near body color) and rebuilt.

Name:  Screenshot_20230531_180519_Gallery.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  645.2 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20230527_125435_Messages.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  206.6 KB
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCapri View Post
    Looking forward to Motor City Foxfest in July.
    I’m really looking forward to going to that show as well. I ordered a hat earlier today.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Stopped by my first show ever on Saturday.

There were only about 3 79-86 cars that I saw, one of them being all clapped out and modified for racing. Here's the other two. Doesn't get any better than these two examples - but I am clearly biased.

ZEN50’s Capri

My 86’ GT
    Last edited by ITdude87; 06-12-2023 at 12:14 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Thanks for posting the pictures ITdude87. Your car looks great. ZEN50's Capri is one of my favorites. Been a fan of the Capris since the late 80's when I had my first '86.

The Capri is absolutely stunning in person, I agree.

Appreciate the compliment!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Great pics Tim, thanks for taking them. Your car looks great!
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I’m really looking forward to going to that show as well. I ordered a hat earlier today.
    I was wanting to go, and bring up the LTS, but July is looking to be an overly busy and expensive month for us this year. Maybe next time around.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Default Cruise time in Metro Detroit Eastpoint/Gratiot Ave.

Drove across town to first major 2023 city sponsored annual cruise Saturday. Special one to me.
    Section of the old stomping grounds. The Cobra was delivered new to Ford dealer there in '78.
    Brought coolers and good old vintage vinyl strap patio chair.
    Cruise/car show size is two miles long north and sb. 50's-90 classics as it should be. Lots of fox.
    Prefect weather 85 and clear with breeze. Hundreds of cars cruising and parked. Traffic moved well.

Stayed 12p-8p. Met up with family and friends.
    Heading SB, by luck caught them waving frantically to me from a car lot across the road on the NB side.
    Was generously invited to use the building restroom. Clean flush toilets are a big plus at any all day car event.

Being gap guided into parking space in front of the 66 Mustang, discovered DS backup light was not working.

Couple pics posted in events/regional/midwest thread.

Seen a pickup truck blow a coolant hose big time after a short burnout at a light. He kept going.
    From the looks of what the street looked like, surely not far. Plenty of flatbed tow trucks were around.
    Darn missed doing a short video of that.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-18-2023 at 02:52 PM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast