Close

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    FEP Power Member

Almost positive it will work on the 86. I replaced mine a few years ago and had no issues.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Almost positive it will work on the 86. I replaced mine a few years ago and had no issues.
    Excellent. Consider the one you linked ordered. Much appreciated!
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I am pretty sure you can make the 87-93 LX air deflector work on the earlier cars. From what I recall it is slightly different. I don't remember if the bolt holes are in different locations, but that is an easy fix. I do seem to remember that the 87-93 air deflector was slightly taller (deeper) than the early version to try and help push more air into the radiator, so that can be an issue on lowered cars just FYI. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Repaired disconnected light bulb wires to the car's added VDO volt gauge.
    Wrapped the connectors to themselves and to the gauge shell so they don't move anymore.
    Finished by zip tying the harness branch. Now is finished it never was all the way.

Trial fit of new special intake manifold gasket from Rock Auto for a spare n/a intake manifold.
    Slowly been prepping it in case decision is made to swap from factory turbo config to n/a.
    Victor Reintz gasket app is 1983-85 LTD and Merc LPG 2.3. Gasket is stamped FelPro.
    Yup reboxed as new brand cost 3.00 more for the name. they got me.
    New gasket blocks off coolant from cylinder head to intake for carb and fuel mix heating.
    At first it was way off hole wise then found it was, of course, on backwards.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-07-2023 at 06:20 PM.

Took an extended joy ride this evening to burn out the old winter gas and feel everything out for spring/summer.

Everything is great, but I did notice that one of my fog light bulbs seems to have burned out (they were both fine over the winter). They are the standard Marchals. I see I can get replacement “H2” bulbs fairly easily online which is a relief, but…how easy are they to swap out? Do I need to pull the whole thing out and perform surgery, or can I just pop the front of lens off and swap them in? Any special special considerations to look out for?
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I have Bosch rectangular fogs. Basically are all the same. Remove lens, swap out bulbs.
    Don't touch bulb glass with fingers. Shortens bulb life they say.
    Bulb outage could simply be the connection. Have run into that before.
    3M clear body protection film is working well on lenses. Keeps sandblasting of the glass at bay.
    Have bought H2's at dollar stores.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    I have Bosch rectangular fogs. Basically are all the same. Remove lens, swap out bulbs.
    Perfect. I did some light searching on how to do this and couldn't find any quick instructions. Taking those Marchal's apart spooks me since they are so pricey now. I did find some LED H2's though

Now that I think about it....I'm really hoping this isn't connected to the jagaloons at the tire shop banging and bending that deflector out of shape. Trying to maintain a positive attitude here.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 04-08-2023 at 10:50 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Drove Sunday crosstown for late afternoon Easter dinner.
    Was dark out heading home. Had thermos with coffee as usual.
    Getting off a ramp, noticed a late 60's Pontiac Firebird passing by.
    Flashed the brights to signal a thumbs up.
    Was surprised driver seen that and flashed (tail) lights back!
    Two old cars driven on yet another holiday in casual clothes.

A pleasant ride using mostly good surface roads, warm enough to have ds window down.
    Took a little more time but was more relaxing and scenic than dodging orange barrels and detours.
    Caught a lot of green lights the whole trip so car sipped gas steady speeds.
    Roadside Easter basket vendors, smell and sights of bbq.
    The usual holiday lines at White Castle and other fast food drive thrus.
    Too many driving too fast over speed limit in a hurry on all roads.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-11-2023 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am pretty sure you can make the 87-93 LX air deflector work on the earlier cars. From what I recall it is slightly different. I don't remember if the bolt holes are in different locations
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Thank you Zen and Trey. Super helpful as always.

I just installed the new deflector on my lunch break, the holes are in the same spots and the new one is noticeably taller and a smidge wider, which is a non-issue. I think it looks MUCH better now. Looking at the right angle it's almost like a mini front spoiler. Best $25 spent so far. It's the little things!

Last edited by ITdude87; 04-11-2023 at 03:52 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Got the 93 out of hibernation Saturday, had a pleasant drive home. I noticed the smell of oil though and it turned out both valley gaskets were leaking. Damn cork gaskets. Figured it deserved some valve cover gaskets as well.threw on the 1906 I picked up on eBay and it runs amazing so far with only minor adjustments. I’m looking forward to the claimed additional mpg. Also deleted the crossover tube for air injection for $2(9/16x12nc bolts if anyone is curious)
    I did change the oil as well since I got coolant in pulling the intake. I scored a b&m pro ripper for 40 clams and put that in as well. Anyone ever heard of wade headlight covers? Got some nos and they don’t fit for crap. I’ll be heading to fefferson swap meet soon on the hunt for heads and headers. At the same time I have an uncle telling me to just run nitrous hehe.

Going to drop the gear oil in my rearend today, at 500 miles as per the guy who built it.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Default bad pc memory can dull the mind

Dry and 80F out this afternoon.
    Drove crosstown again to exchange one defective pc memory stick at Microcenter purchased Saturday.
    The everyday work commute, then once a month trip, now happened four times in a week.
    Today's 60 mile round trip was time focused vs fuel economy.

While in the lot getting ready to head back home, went to pull open the ds floor vent. Non-ac car.
    Been months since i did that. Rolled both windows down first time this year.

Decided to head straight back home. More drivers than usual acted confused out there.
    Slow go on surface streets. Red light after red light. Freeway was the ticket today.

Later in a construction traffic backup, noticed reflection of car headlights off the pickup tailgate in front.
    Turns out, back in the parking lot, unknowingly pulled the headlight switch instead of vent. Duh.
    Has a buzzer but may not have caught that at quick Kroger stop later, draining the battery.

Topped off fuel. 22 mpg. Wonder if tail end of winter blend fuel if any was a factor in that number?
    Darn bad pc part cost 10.00 in commute fuel. Oh well. Win a few lose a few.
    Was nice to get out again for a few hours.

Been driving the car the last couple days, finally got some decent weather!!

Datalogged the stock airbox/intake tube/K&N panel and the intake tubing setup I mocked up earlier this year (pictures on Page 2 of this thread). Did them back to back within an hour of each other.

Very surprised to see there was no discernible difference between the 2 at my power level (276rwhp/318rwtq). Coolant temps were within a degree and MAT was within 2 degrees. In each case my setup had the higher temps due to slightly higher ambient temperature.

Acceleration deltas were nearly identical as well.

Stock airbox is going back on until 300rwhp is exceeded. I kinda prefer the stock airbox anyway, looks wise.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Drove the LTS to the office (again) today. No drama.

Even tested the AC on the way home while sitting in slow traffic (It was 80*F here today). Nice cool air after a min or so.

Pedaling in (again) tomorrow, but will probably drive it again on Fri.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Got my tires balanced today, after a year. Heard.from a guy there about a junkyard about 30 miles away with some old foxes so money well spent I think. I also replaced the ripped clutch pad. Not much else. Been fixin on other vehicles. I noticed I had a typo on here the other day and put down 93 on here, I wish it was that easy. No I’m fairly happy with what I got. It starts better and runs damn good with the rebuilt Avs2. Not an increase in power for a (-intake) stock motor but great drivability so far.
    Hope everyone is enjoying this weather!

It got a bath yesterday. Wax tomorrow.
    First 'Cars and Coffee' in P-Hill Saturday. Supposed to be in the 60's and dry. Finally!

Not too bad for original paint. Other than the roof which is obviously rattle -canned.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 04-13-2023 at 06:16 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Started '83 GT today. First start in about two weeks. Didn't need to manually prime carb with gas can. Thinking of putting a splash of Mystery Oil in Engine, sounding kind of 'diesel-y' lately. Has just over 106K around-town miles. Original motor, never out of car
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 04-13-2023 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added text

I rolled over the odometer! Second time over, so officially passed 200,000kms
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3 4spd

This was supposed to be one of my "before" photos since I had dropped my car off to get tinted this morning.

The shop installed the wrong stuff, so I waited there while they removed it and drove away with nothing. What a waste of an afternoon. I'll be making another appointment in the upcoming weekends when the weather is clear again, but damn what a bummer. It looked seriously good with it installed (was supposed to be the higher end ceramic tint, not the traditional film).

Anyhow - At least you can see how rad that new radiator deflector looks! I think it's visible just enough to have walked me back from thinking about screwing in one of the Mach 1 lips. Not going to happen now, it looks good as-is. I'll post again once the tint situation is settled up. Super happy with the way it all came together and shined up so far.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 04-14-2023 at 03:48 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Nice car!! Beautiful 86!
    Jeremiah

Removed the air pump eliminator, alternator bracket and tensioner and put on the March bracket and tensioner. Got a shorter belt and took it for a ride.
    Works fine now.
    The eliminator bracket was under an angle compared to the other pulleys. Leading to the belt running of the pulleys.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Did a lot of data logging and tuning the last couple days. Nothing major, just a few subtle tweaks and leaned out the fuel trim above 5k rpm. Also pulled some fuel out of accel enrichment.

Modified the digital gauge cluster to make the data logging indicator easier to press while driving. Added a 'FAN' on indicator and moved the 'Fuel Load' from the gauge to a digital readout to improve visibility at a glance. I'll find out if the changes were worthwhile in a week-ish.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeremiah

Nice spring day Saturday warm high 70's.
    o/c, filters
    Five qts Valvoline 10w30 conventional, FL1-A, Dorman blue oil plug gasket.
    New oil filter cup style tool. No more having to use band filter wrench.
    Plenty of clearance now for cup style wrench since turbo crossover and down pipe are removed.
    New one has different pattern for current FL1-A does not fit older design filter.
    Magnetic drain plug had no sign of metal anything but a tiny bit of fine metal powder or just dirt.
    Changed out valve cover breather element using 3M room a/c filter media cut and folded to size.
    Was going to do the Ranger too but glad i dint. Started to rain an hour later.

Default National Mustang Day

Mustang brand is 59 today.
    Darn was not aware of an annual event last Saturday at FWHQ
    Car needed the routine maintenance but would not have stopped attending.
    Weather has turned cold with wind this week so had to take advantage of the last day of good weather.
    Having a garage would have made a difference in scheduling these things.

https://performance.ford.com/enthusi...-woodward.html
    https://www.mocsem.org/events/event_...th=4&year=2023
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

Yesterday -

Finally got the tint re-installed with the correct (ceramic) film. 15% on the hatch, 20% on the sides.

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast