Close

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Installed the Hi-Beams last night, can't wait to test it out.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon
    LQ4 w/cam. 4L80E w/shift kit and Circle D 3200 Stall. Nearly Finished

Bumped into a local guy who I also met over at Motor City Foxfest earlier this summer. We were both out and about for the "Metro Cruise" yesterday which is sort of a mini-Woodward here on the west side of the state.

We cruised for a few miles after the Mustang meetup in the morning and snuck our way right into the "main event" area and parked next to the Dyno setup that was running. We got a LOT of attention which was fun and the weather was great.

Last edited by ITdude87; 08-27-2023 at 05:59 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Our Friday evening mustang cruise got rained out. I came down with a bug of some sort and haven't had much energy. I did manage to strip the pertronix ignition box and msd distributor out of the car. Installed and wired in a duraspark 2 system, with oem (vacuum advance) distributor. It completely cured my low-rpm stutter and idles/cruises 100% better. I just need to clean up some wiring and fine tune the carb and timing.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Been taking the GT out on the weekends, driving it just a bit farther each time (weather permitting). Saturday was beautiful here so my daughter and I went for a quick spin. I did my first burn-out with it since purchasing it at the end of May. Hadn't really had a good opportunity, but we were on a quiet stretch of 2-lane road and I was turning the car around to go back to town and pick up our food order. I forgot how much fun it is to pop the clutch, hear the squeal, and feel the back end slide a bit to the side! Don't feel like having to replace the tires yet, though, so those moments will be few and far between. It was still a thrill, though!
    Had ~
    '81 Mustang Ghia Hatchback, red, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, slow, but looked great!

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Bumped into a local guy who I also met over at Motor City Foxfest earlier this summer. We were both out and about for the "Metro Cruise" yesterday which is sort of a mini-Woodward here on the west side of the state.

We cruised for a few miles after the Mustang meetup in the morning and snuck our way right into the "main event" area and parked next to the Dyno setup that was running. We got a LOT of attention which was fun and the weather was great.

Good looking pair of FourEyes there!

(Although the rims on the other one wouldn't be my choice)
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Good looking pair of FourEyes there!

(Although the rims on the other one wouldn't be my choice)
    There's something about the stock 10-hole wheels that just does it for me. Don't get me wrong. I think the other rims are sweet, but I love those stock rims. Just takes me back...
    Had ~

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

There's times where I want nothing more than a different set of wheels, but that means 5 lug swapping and/or a bunch of clearance issues....So I've just stuck with the 10 holes. I did get a few compliments on how clean they were.

I've played with the idea of finding a set of 16'' Ponys purely for the better tire selection, but the jury is still out on that idea.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Keeping the stock wheels seems to be more unique anymore. So many go for the 5-lug conversions and put all kinds of wheels on their foxes. 4-eyes are a bit more rare to begin with. Stock 4-eyes are even cooler, in my book anyway. My car had different wheels on it when I got it, but I'm considering picking up the TRX replicas on LMR. Need to get the exhaust addressed first, though, before I put any money into "nice to have" items.
    Had ~

Have ~

The TRX replicas look super nice in person. I bumped into a guy with an 83 GLX that had the reps and they looked killer, I think they were 17's too? He said he didn't have to do anything to get them to fit since he didn't have quad shocks....though I can't remember if he needed a spacer in the front.

I'm with you though - My gut knows the clean 10 holes are worth sticking with.....but sheesh I do get 'wheel envy' from time to time.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

The TRX replicas on LMR are 16x7. I do like the wheels that came on my car, but I'm a sucker for that stock look, as well. My wife had a thing for wheels. It was one of the first things she'd call out about a car, good or bad. I think she'd like the TRX wheels. She bought a 1985 Fiero new and had 3-spoke TRX-like wheels put on it before she picked it up from the dealership. You could always tell her car because it was the only one around with those wheels. The differences between hers and the TRX were that the 3 spokes were solid (no groove in the middle) and the lug nuts were hidden by the center cap. Looked great on that car.

And yeah, I get the whole "wheel envy" thing. I look at wheels all the time and think, "I bet those would look nice on the Fox."
    Had ~

Have ~

I'm with you guys on the stock-ish look. Or at least a factory-type wheel.

Way back when, I put a set of oe Pony wheels on my car, replacing the stock 10-holes it came with. I always liked the chrome Ponys that came on the Summer Special '92 yellow Mustangs, but they were not something that was readily available back then. That was the inspiration for my most recent purchase of a set of 17" chrome Ponys. I've always been a sucker for chrome rims.... they were the thing "back in the day" (I've owned cars that had Keystone Klassics and Cragar SS's on them, for example). Shortly after I bought the 17" chrome Ponys, LMR came out with the 17" 10-holes. Had those been available, I would have given them a hard look.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1007ZDC/Mustang-Pony-Wheel-Center-Cap-17x8-Chrome-79-93

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-149783/mustang-4-lug-10-hole-wheel-17x8-machined-79-93
    Last edited by 85GTGuy; 08-28-2023 at 01:57 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

I've always been a sucker for chrome rims.... they were the thing "back in the day" (I've owned cars that had Keystone Klassics and Cragar SS's on them, for example).
    Oh man, I love the chrome Ponies! Always thought they were sharp. And loved your mention of the Cragar SS! All of the motorhead cars I can remember from the late 70's and early 80's were usually sporting Cragar SS's. My buddy had a '67 Cougar, metallic powder blue, black vinyl top, and SS's. That car was amazing! He still has it, but it's sitting in his garage gathering dust now. He stopped over not too long ago and after seeing the GT, seemed inspired to get the Cougar back on the road. Would be nice!
    Had ~

Have ~

Default dash cluster bulbs

Changed left two cluster bulbs from blue 194 to clear 5w 2825 bulbs to match the rest.
    They are hard wire modded with push in sockets and rubber grommets.
    They no longer twisted in and locked due to plastic issue.
    Had to tape down bottom two warning lights. Holes are worn out like the rest of the bulb holes.
    Plastic is too soft and crumbly. Glad i have a spare cluster assy if needed someday.

Finish reassembly today. No rain predicted until next week. Car is on driveway.
    Almost got caught by a sudden rainstorm. Had to scramble and abort the reassy until today.
    Had hood open and battery charger connected since dome light was on.

Will be heading out this afternoon before rush hour 35 miles east to Harper cruise 5-9 on east side of town.
    Meet up with friends and family.
    Will be nice to not have the left cluster lighting on the dark side.
    Had slip on green rubber masks on the bulbs at one time but white is brighter.
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

Default fix one thing then get another

Started the car yesterday to head out to a cruise.
    Noticed voltmeter did not show alt was charging.
    Left the Cobra parked and drove the Ranger. Friends were surprised i brought it.

Need to have current and spare alternator checked out. Both are 1G large case 70A.
    May just get a 3rd new 100a one vs 70. Get it reclocked, change pulley.

There is 12v at the bat terminal. Battery is low 12's but ok for now.

Notes do not indicate why i swapped alternators except for like new looks.
    Current one installed 8/2016 ago is like new condition 20.00 swap meet purchase.

At this point, gonna swap back to spare. Easy to do, has a chrome pulley!

update- swapped alternator. No change.
    Did find both bolts for power steering mounting bracket loose at the block. Wow.

RA is 45.00 less for comparable reman alt than Advance with 15% discount online.
    Advance alt has limited lifetime warranty vs one year.
    Last edited by gr79; 09-03-2023 at 10:52 PM.

Heater core- my car is non AC so it wasn't too bad. The big problem is that i need the inlet and outlet reversed on my car (modular 4.6).
    It's not too bad to do this with a stock OEM heater core, but i have (3) brand new aftermarket heater cores, and flipping the heater core over doesn't work, due to the shape of the heater core end tanks. Luckily i had bought a spare used OEM heater core and was able to make that work.
    I fill my coolant under vacuum, and i have had the system under 25 inches of vacuum for about 15 minutes and no leaks yet.

Does anyone know of a reputable company that re-cores these heater cores?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Double post sorry
    Last edited by massacre; 08-31-2023 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Dbl post sry
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Does anyone know of a reputable company that re-cores these heater cores?
    The last few threads I've seen that mentioned re-coring a heater core always ended up with nobody being able to find anyone in their area that did it anymore. It's a dying (or dead) art.

Somebody's got to still be doing it somewhere though, imo. Just haven't found who or where.

How about an NOS one.... a great price too, imo....
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/363549019419

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    The last few threads I've seen that mentioned re-coring a heater core always ended up with nobody being able to find anyone in their area that did it anymore. It's a dying (or dead) art.

Somebody's got to still be doing it somewhere though, imo. Just haven't found who or where.

How about an NOS one.... a great price too, imo....
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/363549019419
    Thanks for that! I bought it, always good to have a spare. I did find this company, i need to call them and see if they are legit

https://www.activeradiator.com/services/recore/

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Thanks for that! I bought it, always good to have a spare.
    Great! Glad to help. I thought it was a real good price also.

Hell, I paid 3 times that for my Mustang NOS one last year

Got some more "jewelry" in the mail today. Adds +6 horsepower I hear.

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Nice! Fairly rare piece nowadays.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Nice! Fairly rare piece nowadays.
    Cheers - I've had a little inspiration from a certain Capri ;-)

It's not perfect, but it's looking a little sportier

Last edited by ITdude87; 09-01-2023 at 01:55 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Now you need some Motorsport valve covers, just sayin ..............
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Now you need some Motorsport valve covers, just sayin ..............
    You're a great, and terrible influence Zen LOL.

I've already had the same thought cross my mind. I'll get there eventually....Baby steps!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Might have some laying around here, will have to check. Just trying to help ...........
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast