Close

Default 1979 Indy 500 Pace Truck info

http://vintagetruckmagazine.com/1979...00-pace-truck/

1979 Ford F-150 Indianapolis 500 Pace Truck

By Brian Sams

In 1979, the Ford Mustang was chosen to lead the field for the 63rd running of the Indianapolis 500 race. In addition to the Mustang, Ford trucks were chosen as the official support trucks to the track. Ford Motor Company supplied approximately sixty 1979 F-Series pickups, Econoline vans, club wagons, and Broncos from the period of March 1 through June 10 to be used for track support activities including transportation for dignitaries, displays, and the Indy 500 festival/parade. There were two (known) specially outfitted F-150 pace trucks and one red F-250 used during the Indy 500 qualifying and race days as crash response trucks carrying safety crews, fire suppression, and track cleanup equipment. There were also several official Indy 500 F-350s equipped with Holmes 440 wreckers used during this time.

To commemorate the selection of the 1979 Mustang as the pace car for the 63rd running of the Indianapolis 500, Ford built a limited production line of 10,478 Mustangs and 4,225 F- Series trucks with the Indianapolis Speedway Official Truck package. Ford started production of the Indy Official Truck package in March 1979. The trucks were built at the assembly plants in Louisville, Kentucky; Buffalo, New York; and San Jose, California. After the trucks were built, they were shipped by either railway or truck to Ford dealerships throughout the country to be sold in conjunction with the Mustang pace car program. An interesting fact was that the “Official Truck” door and “4X2 (2WD) configuration Indianapolis Motor Speedway” fender decals were shipped loose in the cab of the truck and were installed by the dealer at the option of the customer.

The model availability for the Indy Official Truck package consisted of a 1979 F-Series Styleside pickup with a regular cab and the option of either a short or long wheelbase. A customer could get a 4X2 configuration on an F-100, F-150, or F-250 or the 4X4 option on a F-150, F-250, or F-350. The Official Truck package also included a black-and-silver paint scheme with orange and red accents that was carried throughout the exterior and interior of the truck. The seats were black grained-vinyl with silver vinyl inserts and red welts, and the tailgate sported “FORD” in black applique letters on an orange field. Many of the exterior attachments, such as the grille insert, front bumper, and GT rollbar, were painted black.

The F-Series models came standard with an under-the-frame spare tire carrier, Ranger trim, and an auxiliary fuel tank. Customers had the option of either an argent (silver) rear step bumper or a black contour rear bumper. To my knowledge, it is unknown how many 2X4 F-Series versus 4X4 F-Series models were built—or even how many F-100s compared to F-150s or F-250s. In my research, it seems that the 4X2 F-150 with the 460ci engine was the most common based on present-day existing trucks.

So is it an FEP member that owns both now? Those chrome wheels look familiar on that PC.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I don't think so
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    In addition to the Mustang, Ford trucks were chosen as the official support trucks to the track. Ford Motor Company supplied approximately sixty 1979 F-Series pickups, Econoline vans, club wagons, and Broncos...
    Whoa! Wait! So does this mean that there are Econoline vans, club wagons, and Broncos with the black and pewter paint scheme?
    I've never seen one.
    It would be cool to have any of them ---- especially a Bronco.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

I'd forgotten about those trucks until I saw one in a thread right here, about a year or so ago.

I doubt it, RE the Econolines and Broncos.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

There were Econolines van. There were marked as Official Car. Sorry the only pic I have is a Black & White
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    So is it an FEP member that owns both now? Those chrome wheels look familiar on that PC.
    I believe you're thinking of chelms' car. He didn't have it at the time of this article and he put the same wheels on his car.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

There was a F150 4x4 460 running around this area late 1998 or so. I had to remove it from a lake with a high lift jack and multiple chains. It broke a ford 9N , Bronco II and ranger which all tried to yank it free. Funny thing after I got it out we changed the starter and drove it home. Wish I had taking a picture or two.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Weird this thread cam up, I just saw this last migh, and was wondering if it indeed was legit..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

After seeing pacecarman's photo of the Econoline van, I'm guessing that the vans and maybe the Broncos did NOT have the same black and pewter paint scheme. Does anyone know for sure?

If they just took regular vans and Broncos off the lot and stuck "Official Car" stickers on them, then they are just barely cool ---- versus really cool.

I have never seen or heard of anything with the pewter/black paint except pickups and the pace cars themselves. But..... wouldn't it be cool to 'create' a Bronco or Econoline Pace Vehicle?
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I posted a pic of the tow truck from a magazine a long time ago. I'll try and find it...
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FYI Ford also used the same interior on the Free Wheeling Edition

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...ng-series.html

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

-Yes, there are Broncos with the scheme....my dad owned a service station mid 70s to mid 80s. there was a guy come in that had one. it was the silver/black/orange scheme. unless it was a free-wheelin truck. had no graphics...
    Last edited by shorangerbird; 01-29-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    I have never seen or heard of anything with the pewter/black paint except pickups and the pace cars themselves. But..... wouldn't it be cool to 'create' a Bronco or Econoline Pace Vehicle?
    You are reading my mind ---- though you'd have to have some paperwork (i.e., provenance) to explain it at car shows.

Quote Originally Posted by shorangerbird View Post
    -Yes, there are Broncos with the scheme....my dad owned a service station mid 70s to mid 80s. there was a guy come in that had one. it was the silver/black/orange scheme. unless it was a free-wheelin truck. had no graphics...
    Oooooh, the mystery plot thickens.

more

Every Freewheeling truck from 1977 through 1979 has that interior. I've seen many of them. Even the stepside trucks with the pinstripe outlining have that interior.

The tag is on the firewall directly behind the carburetor, If you remove the air cleaner, you should be able to get a good luck at it. All Indy trucks have "INDY" stamped along the bottom edge.

There were 4x4 versions of Indy trucks, even F-250 and F-350 versions. There is a lot of bad information floating around out there. Even, apparently, my statement that they were all longbeds. I looked up my original factory brochure, and I can tell you these things were mandatory on the Indy trucks:

F-Series Styleside Pickup, Regular Cab only
    with short or long wheelbase
    4x2 F-100, F-150, F-250
    4x4 F-150, F-250, F-350
    Silver metallic exterior paint
    Ranger trim package (bright wheellip moldings, bodyside moldings, hub caps deleted)
    Black floor mat
    Ranger XLT level Instrument Panel (red color tape replaces wood grain)
    Black glove box applique
    Door trim panels - black with silver vinyl applique and red molding
    Seat trim - Ranger sew style with black grained vinyl bolsters; super-soft silver vinyl inserts with red colored vinyl welts
    Black headliner and sun visor
    Black Tape Stripes with Red and Orange Accents
    Black grille insert and headlight doors with argent surround
    Black front bumper
    Argent rear step bumper or black contour rear bumper
    Auxiliary fuel tank (all Indy trucks have dual tanks)
    GT bar, black (aka rollbar, but they couldn't call it that for legal reasons)
    Tailgate applique - black FORD letters on orange field
    Spare tire lock (with standard under frame carrier only)
    Ten-hole forged aluminum wheels with L78x15C all-terrain RWL tires
    White Styled Steel Wheels available with 4x4
    Base tires and wheels for F-250/350 (due to 8-lug pattern)

Everything else, from the push bar to the sport steering wheel and black low-mount mirrors, were "recommended options."

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I believe you're thinking of chelms' car. He didn't have it at the time of this article and he put the same wheels on his car.
    The first PC I got #0083 was sold with the PC truck and trailer told to me by the son of the gentleman that owned it, but he had no pictures to prove it, just stories of the combo, he had no interest at all or even knew it was a very rare combo, the car and truck and trailer were all donated to the Goodwill of KY. just to get rid of them. Then I purchased the car.

Last edited by chelms; 01-30-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Pace Car #7632

Default Actual paint colors

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    The mustangs in 79 were painted poly pewter and the trucks were painted poly silver. Just an FYI.