Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '85 Stalling

You could have float issues. Stuck floats can cause the carb to bleed gas into the intake and down the cylinder walls. With so few miles, I bet a good old carb rebuild would be a smart move.

I don't think there is any way for the pump to leak gas into the oil.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Noted. But also I'm being mindful of the mechanical pump being 38 years old as well. I'm not so familiar with carbs, but I can change out the pump and have someone check the floats.

Yeah, mechanical pump is an easy replacement, however, I have found the quality of the current parts is much much lower than the originals. If it looks good, you may want to keep it.
    Last edited by emerygt350; 02-23-2023 at 08:54 AM.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I got a Carter fuel pump, I think its the OEM on it .

I have found cheap duralast thermostats better than motorcraft these days. Hard to know till you give it a try. Just don't toss the old one...

If a repeated perceived fuel starvation issue continues after all of the above, run the car in the scenario after loosening or removing the gas cap. If the problem goes away, the fuel tank vent is probably plugged. A mechanical fuel pump, to function trouble-free long term, requires open ventilation of the fuel tank, or you will kill fuel pump after fuel pump from the strain of trying to draw fuel from an un-vented tank... over time of running, this situation creates vacuum in the tank, which is counterproductive to drawing fuel out of it.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Supporter

^^^^ That's a great tip right there!
    '85 GT

You have gotten some sound advice here. Your problem is def a fuel starvation problem and the reason it presents itself when goin to 5th gear etc is bc there is a lot of "load" on the fuel system at that point.
    You can "rev" all day in "neutral" at 3000rpm+ and have no problem but when the car is under load that is when she is really "drawing" fuel. This is similar t not being able to get the oil up to operating RPM without really driving it...cars need to be under load to get to op temp and properly diagnose.

The 85GT is a beauty, I had a White 85 GT T-Top car back in the day and was a real looker, it was the last year of the Holley. Carbs are great but FI def is more reliable.
    Like everyone has said in these posts, you just need to find the culprit and it will run perfect. Dont give up and keep the post updated till you find and fix the problem.

If you dont know the history of the Carb then rebuilding it would be on my forecast and checking the vent for tank is another...beside the obvious fuel filter for starters.

Good luck

Default '85 Stalling

Thanks for all the information. This community is awesome! I will keep you all posted on my progress and what I figure out. I absolutely love the four eyed foxes , especially the '85. I currently own it as well as a '91 GT and 2015 S550 GT.

Update: Finally got around to replacing the mechanical fuel pump yesterday. Just have to connect the lines and see what it does. The old unit looked to be the original. It literally can be twisted by hand,meaning the top and bottom can be rotated in opposite directions. So maybe that explains the stalling at higher loads, we will see. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck!

For what its worth, I took the old fuel pump apart and discovered the disk that holds down the rubber diaphram was broken in two.Name:  thumbnail_70259506906__C74232D1-4C41-4EAB-88DE-B32EB22710E8.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  31.2 KB

well, there you go!

Took her out this morning, stalled 2 miles from home. Started right up and stalled 2 more times before coasting into gas station. I think she was on fumes. Got some fresh gas and decided to take "Walking Talls" suggestion and left the fuel cap and door open. Drove the 8 miles home without any issues. So maybe the fuel tank vent is clogged, either causing or contributing to the fuel starvation on top of the bad pump. I'll take her out again soon and see what happens. Fun car when its running correctly! Actually enjoying the journey to find the culprit. Oh yeah, changed the oil as well to flush out the fuel in the crankcase.

If you are dropping the tank for the vent you might want to replace the fuel sender while you are there, 37k miles on a 40 year old car means it sat around alot. The replacement sender for your car(which they still make)only cost a couple bucks more than a tank vent and gasket.
    Im replacing the fuel sender on my tbird that had only 28k miles on it because it was rusted up and clogged down the 5/16 tube to about 1/8 inch. Like a clogged up artery it doesnt help when pumping vital fluid.
    Just saying.

Update of sorts: So, I finally got fed up and had my ‘85 towed to a mustang guru in Richmond. Decided to switch her over to Edelbrock Pro-Flow4. After he got the car and took it out for a quick drive, he concludes that the carburetor had been “worked on” and is actually flooding itself somehow. So it wasn’t fuel starved but getting too much fuel. Just my understanding. Either way I’m going with the Edelbrock to make it more reliable and lessen the inherent flaws with the carburetor that Ford used. I’ll let y’all know how that goes.

Wow, that's a pretty pricey kit. Looks really nice though. Lots of cool features.... bluetooth, rev limiter, fan control, plenty of tunability. Hopefully that solves your issues. Interesting, to me, that it comes with a new distributor too. Does it require a fuel pump upgrade?

I'm one of those in that group that emerygt350 was referring to. I'm a big believer in the Holley 4180. I think it's a great carb, particularly for a stock or stock-ish engine. When they're in proper working condition (and have had the accelerator pump cam fixed per Ford's TSB!), they are, imo, a great carb and work beautifully under all conditions.

Looking forward to hearing how your car runs with the new efi system.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Default Stalling

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty pricey kit. Looks really nice though. Lots of cool features.... bluetooth, rev limiter, fan control, plenty of tunability. Hopefully that solves your issues. Interesting, to me, that it comes with a new distributor too. Does it require a fuel pump upgrade?

I'm one of those in that group that emerygt350 was referring to. I'm a big believer in the Holley 4180. I think it's a great carb, particularly for a stock or stock-ish engine. When they're in proper working condition (and have had the accelerator pump cam fixed per Ford's TSB!), they are, imo, a great carb and work beautifully under all conditions.

Looking forward to hearing how your car runs with the new efi system.
    Yes, the Edelbrock is pricey, but it should give me better cold starts, drivability and maybe better fuel economy. And yes I’ll have to upgrade the fuel system to ‘86 specs because of electric pump replacing the mechanical unit.

I am of the age when a Carburetor was all there was..... Maybe some Ferrari's in F1 racing or the mechanical fuel injection on a Corvette, but basically Carbs...
    If my car had started as a Fuel Injected car ( 86 and newer?) I would have stuck with it as that is what the car came with......
    When I watch guys chase their Fuel Injected cars with " no crank, no start" lists, " check pin # 65" and on and on, and this is supposed to be simpler that a mechanical fuel pumped, Carburetor with floats and jets???? Not in my book.....

Now, does fuel injection allow modern cars to " meet pollution and fuel mileage requirements from our corrupt government" ( watched the Durham report anyone???) Absolutely, but my era of car does not have to meet those stringent requirements..
    Removed the old wornout Holley on my 83 and installed this new Summit carb that mimics the old ford carb from the 60's.....
    Also will try the computation of how many CFMS will my car need at 5500 rpm ( 488 CFM) and will be using the small Summit 500 CFM version..... Grew up in the days when a " bigger" carb was " better" ... uhm no it wasn't .......
    Just my opinon here but I am an old fart so take it for what its worth....
    Name:  DSCF1348.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  290.8 KB

Default Stalling

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    I am of the age when a Carburetor was all there was..... Maybe some Ferrari's in F1 racing or the mechanical fuel injection on a Corvette, but basically Carbs...
    If my car had started as a Fuel Injected car ( 86 and newer?) I would have stuck with it as that is what the car came with......
    When I watch guys chase their Fuel Injected cars with " no crank, no start" lists, " check pin # 65" and on and on, and this is supposed to be simpler that a mechanical fuel pumped, Carburetor with floats and jets???? Not in my book.....

Now, does fuel injection allow modern cars to " meet pollution and fuel mileage requirements from our corrupt government" ( watched the Durham report anyone???) Absolutely, but my era of car does not have to meet those stringent requirements..
    Removed the old wornout Holley on my 83 and installed this new Summit carb that mimics the old ford carb from the 60's.....
    Also will try the computation of how many CFMS will my car need at 5500 rpm ( 488 CFM) and will be using the small Summit 500 CFM version..... Grew up in the days when a " bigger" carb was " better" ... uhm no it wasn't .......
    Just my opinon here but I am an old fart so take it for what its worth....
    Name:  DSCF1348.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  290.8 KB
    Noted, and thank you for that. I’m going to of course keep all the original parts in case I decide to sell it at a later point. But for now I’m going to enjoy it and see where the adventure takes me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12