Close

Default Supercharger must haves?

Hey everyone,

Merry Christmas! Hope everyone had a good holiday!

Anyways, I got my hands on a Vortech entry level kit, the one that has an FMU and makes like 6psi.

Just a quick short post, are there any sort of, secrets, or tricks, that I should know having a supercharger? Any specific plugs to be using? Do I need a blow off of some sort? What's a power pipe and are they useful?

I know many guys on here are early 4 eyes so carbs are much more popular but if anyone can offer me some advice or some parts that let me make the most of my blower its much appreciated.

Thanks!

Need more information. What year is your car? Is the engine stock?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

It appears maybe you have an 86, so I am going to assume EFI?
    We put the original Vortech A-trim on an 86 Mk VII 5.0 HO swapped
    in my dads LTD (back in the day).

Did use new plugs, but nothing special. Did also make new stainless pipes
    from air cleaner in fenderwell, to blower intake, and then blower output to throttle body.

Other than that, everything else stock, not even mass air conversion (at first).
    Ran well enough, but boost/power did not really ramp up until 4000 RPM and full boost
    took 5500. They rated that kit at 70 gross HP, but I was never really that impressed with it.
    I even tried smaller pulley to try to get boost to ramp up quicker, but it didn't help much.

Anyway, I would just put it on, use new Motorcraft plugs and maybe close up
    spark gap just a bit. Would also use at least 91 octane, and preferably 93.
    Last edited by OX1; 12-30-2022 at 03:00 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Need more information. What year is your car? Is the engine stock?
    Stock heads and cam, stock everything for that matter asides from a Gt 40 tubular intake. It's a 1986 GT so fuel injection..

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    It appears maybe you have an 86, so I am going to assume EFI?
    We put the original Vortech A-trim on an 86 Mk VII 5.0 HO swapped
    in my dads LTD (back in the day).

Did use new plugs, but nothing special. Did also make new stainless pipes
    from air cleaner in fenderwell, to blower intake, and then blower output to throttle body.

Other than that, everything else stock, not even mass air conversion (at first).
    Ran well enough, but boost/power did not really ramp up until 4000 RPM and full boost
    took 5500. They rated that kit at 70 gross HP, but I was never really that impressed with it.
    I even tried smaller pulley to try to get boost to ramp up quicker, but it didn't help much.

Anyway, I would just put it on, use new Motorcraft plugs and maybe close up
    spark gap just a bit. Would also use at least 91 octane, and preferably 93.
    Do I need a different heat range of plugs? and I can only get a maximum of 91 where I live but I do have two large jugs of boostane so I could mix that.

Have heard a lot of guys on Corral say they picked up a lot of power getting a chip burned and a dyno tune, I'm guessing leaning it out from being too fat?

You have dealt with Joe at Dasilva Racing in the past. Give him a call and he will steer you in the right direction.
    The chip adapter in our 91 is an SCT for mass air. We make 570hp and 590tq to the tire with a T trim blower .
    Yours being Speed Density, doubtful that it is made today. (SCT Chip) May have to convert to Mass air to be tuned by Dasilva or DCT Tuning.
    Better to ask your questions to the tuner, as to what they can do for you. Both Joe and Diago (DCT) are very knowledgeable and always willing to help out.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Not bad...
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-12-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: seriously, its not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by machinedoc View Post
    You have dealt with Joe at Dasilva Racing in the past. Give him a call and he will steer you in the right direction.
    The chip adapter in our 91 is an SCT for mass air. We make 570hp and 590tq to the tire with a T trim blower .
    Yours being Speed Density, doubtful that it is made today. (SCT Chip) May have to convert to Mass air to be tuned by Dasilva or DCT Tuning.
    Better to ask your questions to the tuner, as to what they can do for you. Both Joe and Diago (DCT) are very knowledgeable and always willing to help out.
    I've been doing my own research on other forumns and websites, I've narrowed down the parts to get, now I'm simply worried about what computer to use for tuning, want to avoid dropping a grand on a standalone.

To be entirely honest, I'm still in highschool and don't make all that much. Now I know someone here is going to start going at me about how building a blower car is foolish in high school, but I know its possible.

So far I've got it down to Anderson power bypass, pro-m 92mm, 70mm accufab and some deka 80#. Yes I'm aware I won't even come close to maxing out 60s but if they have the same idle characteristics and cost the same, why not?

Moates is down so no quarter horse unless I can find used, I'll have to contact Diago to see what he prefers I guess, I may end up dropping a grand just to have a functional computer to make it all work, then I'm going to need some gauges, and the list goes on. Down the rabbit hole I go!

Edit: car is already mass air, PO put on the Ford Motorsport kit with a GT40 some time back in the 90s. Not sure if this mass air kit is ideal but it works. Probably won't need it if I go to stand alone since it will go back to SD.