Close

FEP Member

Default Hood pad/insulation

84 Ltd lx 347 t5 8.8
    My hood pad is falling apart. Has anyone used the Dynamat or DEI insulation?Name:  3D829815-125F-4B9A-BFCE-6CFA55B94EAC.jpeg
Views: 193
Size:  98.3 KB

I just took the padding off my '84 and cleaned the hood up. Shows nice.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

FEP Member

Are you going to replace it with anything?

Its been off for years and I like the look. I do understand that the 87 - 93 pad will fit.
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-16738R-K/un...insulator-8793
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

FEP Senior Member

I have used the DEI underhood insulation on an '80 coupe I had.
    Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 12-23-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP User

I have older GM cars that had the same issue . on one car took the insulation off / cleaned up the hood / looks fine / a bit more engine noise . On another car took the insulation down then took it to an upholstery shop and had a new one made . Need the old one as a pattern so try to keep it in one piece . I think the insulation is for sound deadening , and also fire suppression . The insulation is mounted with plastic push in supports . I think the idea is if / when the plastic supports melt the insulation drops down over the engine .

I took the hood insulation off when I went through the car ten or so years back. I cleaned it up, let it dry, and then sprayed it with some clear coat. I have not seen it mentioned here, but it will also protect the paint on top of the hood from the engine compartment heat. This was a big motivator for me doing what I did...well that, and I strive to keep the car as original as I can...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP User

bwgaurdian not sure what your comment above is saying . I think you might be saying the insulation protects the paint on top of the hood . If insulation then i agree should also protect the paint on hood.

I took mine off early on because it was rubbing the finish off the air cleaner cover. No damage to paint on the hood after 37 years of normal driving.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP Member

Thanks everyone for the input. One of these days I plan on getting the car painted, and I was worried about high heat temps from the engine affecting the paint on the hood.

Only if you have an engine fire and I don't care how cold it is , no one wants that!!
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by 1981 Capri View Post
    bwgaurdian not sure what your comment above is saying . I think you might be saying the insulation protects the paint on top of the hood . If insulation then i agree should also protect the paint on hood.
    Yes, the hood insulation helps protect the paint on top of the hood from engine heat. Not so much of an issue with the automotive paint technology we have today.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. One of these days I plan on getting the car painted, and I was worried about high heat temps from the engine affecting the paint on the hood.
    Our Mustangs were painted with single stage enamel, which was more prone to deterioration from the engine compartment heat. The base coat-clear coat is much more durable. When I had my car painted ten years ago, he added extra layers...primer, base, and clear...on top of the hood to help even more...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP User

Our other older GM cars are also single stage paint , paint shops say to repaint the car the car needs to be taken down to bare metal . An expensive paint job ! For some cars a new paint job could exceed the value of the car. We will try to make the original single stage paint last as long as we can . The hood insulation fell down / off long ago . So now when we drive one of our old cars with single stage paint , we lift the hood to let the heat out . That works fine at home or at a gas station , but not easy when out and about . When out some where that we do not want the hood up all the way , we place an old used round air cleaner filter between hood and hood latch , this lets the heat out with out drawing too much attention to the car . Old cars with single stage paint also have carburetors , so need to let heat out anyway to try and prevent vapour lock or percolation . or my cars will not restart when hot , but thats another thread topic . so the hood is up a lot !

FEP Supporter

The 83-86 Fox insulator is available reproduction. Not quite correct but available nonetheless.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/hood...1985&year=1985
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 1981 Capri View Post
    Our other older GM cars are also single stage paint , paint shops say to repaint the car the car needs to be taken down to bare metal . An expensive paint job ! For some cars a new paint job could exceed the value of the car. We will try to make the original single stage paint last as long as we can . The hood insulation fell down / off long ago . So now when we drive one of our old cars with single stage paint , we lift the hood to let the heat out . That works fine at home or at a gas station , but not easy when out and about . When out some where that we do not want the hood up all the way , we place an old used round air cleaner filter between hood and hood latch , this lets the heat out with out drawing too much attention to the car . Old cars with single stage paint also have carburetors , so need to let heat out anyway to try and prevent vapour lock or percolation . or my cars will not restart when hot , but thats another thread topic . so the hood is up a lot !
    This really isn't necessary and would only be a very temporary help at best, when stopped & out of the car.