Close

Default timing chain cover

I've got an 86' GT and I've always had issues cooling it. I'm coming up on my 5th radiator and second water pump. My question is do I need to drop the pan to replace the timing chain cover gasket? Thank you in advance!

To do it properly yes! Now you can try to get it out and RTV the daylights out of it putting it back in and it may or may not leak. I bet on leak..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

That seems a little strange. Is your egr functioning? Is your timing set correctly? Do you have any confidence in the quality of your thermostat?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I've replaced a couple without dropping the pan. If done carefully and with proper rtv placement you can do it. Dropping the pan is best of course, but not absolutely needed.

5 radiators??? Holy crap! Why has each failed? Or did you replace them just because? In every vehicle I have ever owned, if I had to replace the radiator, I used a solid aluminum model. Those have them lasted YEARS without issue. That is several trucks, my last mustang, the current Granada, a couple other cars. Five radiators just seems excessive.

X2 on the thermostat. And the fan shroud.

Also, how do you KNOW it's not cooling well? Have you overheated? Are you just going by the factory gauge?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

You don’t need to drop the oil pan. Do you plan to have the K member out? That would be best. You don’t really get much clearance just dropping the pan with the K member in along with the risk of damaging the pan gasket. Another thing that will happen is water from the block will drop into the oil pan. There’s no avoiding it. Unless you have a timing cover leak or have excessive wear in the chain I’d leave it alone. I installed a mechanical gage to back up the original and found when the needle on the factory gage got to the L in NORMAL the mechanical was showing 195 deg. I found that my high temps were mostly due to fan and shrouding. I put in an aluminum 3 row with a bunch of different fans and was never happy. I put the original 2 row with the original plastic mechanical fan in and all is cool. I just hate the noise the fan makes.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."