Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Default No posts today...

...SCARY STUFF!
    Don't let FEP turn into the rusty, dusty, spiderweb-filled '1982-1993 Mustang Registry.'

I kept checking today for new posts. You are right, it is scary stuff.

Does everybody just use the social media stuff for cars anymore?
    Nobodies cars break anymore or have all the possible questions already been answered?
    Alot of forums feel like ghost towns anymore.

I swear i thought i started a thread about the rear window diece relay here.
    can't find it now.
    not much info available.
    love this site i'm here all the time
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I check into this forum every day but it's like so many others, participation is dying. I love the forum format and I'm on several others on various topics but I have noticed that the members on all forums are predominately old geezers like me. Younger folks for the most part do not use this format at all. And without young people joining it's certain death eventually.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I check into this forum every day but it's like so many others, participation is dying. I love the forum format and I'm on several others on various topics but I have noticed that the members on all forums are predominately old geezers like me. Younger folks for the most part do not use this format at all. And without young people joining it's certain death eventually.
    I guess I fall into the ol' geezer category ... I don't do Facebook, but based on how things are evolving, it appears I will have to break down at some point.

I wonder if it is a generation thing and rather than use a "search" function on a Forum to find a solution, just hit the easy button and post a question in a Facebook group. I guarantee you will get a variety of interesting solutions and "Facts" often posted can also be somewhat entertaining.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I guess I fall into the ol' geezer category ... I don't do Facebook, but based on how things are evolving, it appears I will have to break down at some point.

I wonder if it is a generation thing and rather than use a "search" function on a Forum to find a solution, just hit the easy button and post a question in a Facebook group. I guarantee you will get a variety of interesting solutions and "Facts" often posted can also be somewhat entertaining.
    I agree with you. I had to do facebook just for car groups and marketplace for cars and car parts.

Problem with most of those groups, is all the idiots reply with stupid answers and ask questions that can be found with a lil online research or just generally simpleton questions. It gets old.

I log in here FEP every day and try to post an answer on comment on something.

FEP is one of the best forums around.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    How do we as a site, connect with the younger people and get them interested? Maybe its not possible.... Its a sad situation.

Maybe a presence at some of the big fox car shows? Or people just participating at small local car shows? Fliers, stickers, window fliers? Heck, I dont know.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Has there ever been a poll of average age of members on the site?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Has there ever been a poll of average age of members on the site?
    I bet it is close to 60. I'm 58.
    Facebook ONLY to buy/sell parts for me.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

When I first joined, I was near the youngest on here, but knew of a decent number of teenagers and young adults, afterwards. I could count-out at least fifteen "regulars" when I joined, and about three are still on here, but that's about an 80% drop!! For some reason, most bolted around 2018. Did Actor Andy Dick join this site in 2018? lol
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 12-14-2022 at 11:09 AM. Reason: text added

FEP Senior Member

Not on Facebook or any other social media and never will be. I fail to see how a Facebook forum is better than a bulletin board system. The newest car that this board represents is 36 years old so probably not attracting a ton of young people due to that.

I'm on this forum everyday at lunch, but I don't always have something to post.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    I bet it is close to 60. I'm 58.
    Facebook ONLY to buy/sell parts for me.
    Ill soon be 51
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Well I can start Medicare next year. I still have my GT350 and having just picked up a 2012 GTCS conv. I share my time driving both like I stole them!!

I check a couple of times a day and have since I joined. I only tend to comment when I have something constructive to add. I only start threads when I have something I am not familiar with. Its just that as you age you tend to not have a lot of questions left.

I just realized I have been around here for 18 years. WOW !! I'm getting OLD!! LOL
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Oh man. Same here, not on social media and love this site. I keep putting it off, joining FB that is, though with our cars sometimes that is the best way to find parts. That's how my wife found our current 4-eye.
    To many the Fox body was the worst platform ever. I don't think so. I love it!
    For me, I like being different. A 4-door grandma looking car that is pretty fast, handles great, and sounds mean? Yup! Newer ones have tech that help them be a lot quicker, but they just don't have the same style or actual driver involvement. I love (in a sad/sweet way) that I have yet to see another car like this in town.
    And this forum is that, different, than typical social media. Great, smart, honest, like-minded folks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

How do we as a site, connect with the younger people and get them interested? Maybe its not possible.... Its a sad situation.

Maybe a presence at some of the big fox car shows? Or people just participating at small local car shows? Fliers, stickers, window fliers? Heck, I dont know.
    I think the younger generations will one day eventually see the selfless helpfulness and wealth of specific information forums offer compared to social media platforms.
    Social medias advantage over forums was instant response and the ability of inclusion of video, there is a whole generation of people raised up on that now, but i think many people will eventually grow tired of the fastest reply not always being the best and return to the simple and well thought out forum concept.
    How do you get the younger generations interested in our cars? Probably the same way the elders did for us, be seen in them and dont be afraid to talk to those that take an interest.

I do not Face, Twit or Insta or Tic my Tok. I'm on only 3 forums now, 10 years ago I was on like 20. I come here everyday but do not have a lot to post. My 85 (and 88 vert rebuild) are dormant till I get a house next year. I'll be on here till death. Forum or me.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I'm 38. No social media for me, though keep waffling joining FB for car groups and marketplace. Love the forum here. Check in nearly everyday, just never have much to post. On a handful of other forums for my various hobbies also.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

I resisted having a FB account as long as I could but many smaller businesses now don't even have a dedicated website instead relying on FB. Or like the gun ranges I belong to they have a web page but it's never updated so if you want current info about range closings you need to check FB.

I also found marketplace to be useful this past summer when I took out my above ground pool. I was impressed with how easy it was to sell all the reusable stuff from that including the lumber from the deck.

That's about the extent of my FB usage though. I certainly don't spend any significant time there.

I don't think it is possible. The younger people have a different concept of communication on the internet and aren't interested in this format at all. Simply put we're behind the times. It reminds me of what happened the last couple years when I was racing. I ran in a class called street stick that was for street legal manual transmission cars and at first we had good fields almost every week. But as the years went by we weren't getting any younger guys coming in, those that did race street legal cars were in the sport compact class which was for non V8 cars. That's just where their interest was and nothing we did was going to change that. It got to the point where we didn't have enough cars anymore and the classes were restructured with no more street stick class at all.

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I do not Face, Twit or Insta or Tic my Tok.
    I don't do any of those others you mentioned either but as I said above it's pretty hard not to have FB these days. It's like not having a cell phone today. Can you do it? Sure, but it's pretty inconvenient.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Funny though, I shun FB and my nephew makes a heck of a living working for them. He was hired by the man himself, Zuckerberg, at a chance meeting in a cafeteria.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I can't stand any of the social media sites.
    Ironically i found my Zephyr through FB marketplace lmao. 2 of my buddies told me about it.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Fb is ok for a lot of things, but forums are far and away better for info exchange. My $.02.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I can't stand any of the social media sites.
    Ironically i found my Zephyr through FB marketplace lmao. 2 of my buddies told me about it.

I’m on Facebook and part of a lot of fox and mustang groups including the FEP group. They are good but full of toxic people that like to attack people who have questions. Especially if you’re new and learning. I read a lot of them but don’t post much. I visit this site almost daily and when I have questions I make threads. ****ty thing is a lot of threads get lots of views but not a lot of discussions. So far though I always seem to get good help from the regulars and it’s very appreciated. This site and YouTube helped me tremendously when restoring my fox.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Member

The amount of outright disrespect and idiocy is mind blowing on FB but it has its uses and there are some knowledgeable people there. I am 1 of 4 Mods on the Fox Body Classifieds group and we try to keep the BS at a low. If you do want to take the farcebook plunge, you can look our group over: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483689685227189

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast